WI: Hitler had escaped Berlin in 1945?

I don't know if anyone has done this, but right know on the History Channel their is a show called Hunting Hitler. Showing how Hitler could have escaped Berlin before the Soviets completely encircled it. What does anyone think? Was it possible and where would go? Or is it just an alternate history idea?

I don't know was escaping possible for Hitler. One main problem might be that Hitler ratherly dies in Berlin than lives in exile.

But if Hitler try to escape and succeeds, he probably goes to Argentina. But Hitler was physically on so bad condition that he hardly lives many years more. And Hitler hardly understand to remain hiding. So Mossad will find him if Hitler doesn't die before.

And hardly is needful tell what Mossad would do.

In the very unlikely event Hitler decides to escape Berlin, his health is so wrecked from "Dr." Morell (I'm using quotes around the doctor title here, since even the top Nazis sans Hitler knew that he was a quack and a fraud) that he'll be dead within a few years. Even if a ASB magically restores his health, Hitler isn't the type of person to lay low while in hiding. The Mossad will nab Hitler when they nab Eichmann in OTL since Eichmann will reveal his boss's hiding place in a attempt to turn state's evidence (a.k.a. trying to his own skin). Once the Israelis get their hands on him, Hitler's options will consist of either hanging, a firing squad, or an angry lynch mob (after a good and proper show trial of course). Many years later, YouTube will have Downfall parodies of Hitler's epic rant when he's told that the Mossad has caught Eichmann, and are now closing in on him.

Last edited:
In the very unlikely event Hitler decides to escape Berlin, his health is so wrecked from "Dr." Morell (I'm using quotes around the doctor title here, since even the top Nazis sans Hitler knew that he was a quack and a fraud) that he'll be dead within a few years. Even if a ASB magically restores his health, Hitler isn't the type of person to lay low while in hiding. The Mossad will nab Hitler when they nab Eichmann in OTL since Eichmann will reveal his boss's hiding place in a attempt to turn state's evidence (a.k.a. trying to his own skin). Once the Israelis get their hands on him, Hitler's options will consist of either hanging, a firing squad, or an angry lynch mob (after a good and proper show trial of course). Many years later, YouTube will have Downfall parodies of Hitler's epic rant when he's told that the Mossad has caught Eichmann, and are now closing in on him.

He was more insane by 45 then that, he makes it to trial he will either be vacant or if they give him his drugs screaming incoherently.

It depends...

If the Soviets catch him he's never heard from again and dies in writhing agony somewhere in Siberia mining for the benefit of the motherland.

If the Allies catch him expect a full trial if they have to strap him onto a table after a series of...tragic falls.

If he escapes and there is verification he is alive the entire situation will be kept very quiet with teams from both sides of the iron curtain working to find him, perhaps in tandem. He would perhaps die in the early 1950s, the more frightening prospect is the possibility he escapes with Eva Braun and they have a (set of) child(ren) together.

If the Soviets catch him he's never heard from again and dies in writhing agony somewhere in Siberia mining for the benefit of the motherland.

Have you forgotten Stalin's love of show trials? What better way to complete the humiliation of his hated foe then to have him dragged up in front of a bunch of judges and sentenced to be hanged.

I don't know if Hitler can escape. By 1945 he was probably suffering from severe Parkinson's, which caused him to shake and made it difficult for him to walk. In addition he was addicted to a cocktail of drugs (over the course of the war 90 different medications were prescribed to him, including methamphetamines) and suffered from serious mental issues. The only way he can get out is by air, and that would be incredibly risky (someone tried to get him out of Berlin by air, but she was injured in the attempt and was nearly shot down).

Even assuming he does get out there's nowhere for Hitler to go. Not only is he instantly recognizable (at least at first), but he would be the most wanted man on the face of the Earth. Think Osama Bin Laden times 1000. Any country that accepted the Fuhrer would risk becoming a pariah or being invaded.

Tovarich

Banned
Once the Israelis get their hands on him, Hitler's options will consist of either hanging, a firing squad, or an angry lynch mob (after a good and proper show trial of course).
Can Israeli judges actually sentence someone to an angry lynch mob? :eek:

No wonder Israel gave up on capital punishment, that sounds difficult to organise, it'd be like the stoning in Life of Brian.

There is some 'evidence' that he made it to Argentina, living there for some time.

But how good the evidence is - is of course debatable, plenty on youtube.

It's ASB.
Hitler, unlike the other Nazis that were able to flee to South America, was no somewhat faceless party middle men. Hitlers face, which would be plastered across newspapers around the globe, would have a far harder time being disguised compared to others who successfully fled.

Also what fool would shelter him? The most wanted man (if he did escape) in the history of the world. No,traveling with him would invite far to many risks.

In addition, if he escapes the Furherbunker, does that mean Eva Braun and Goebbels did as well? If not, most if not all of his closest personal and professional relations were dead. Everyone else, such as Himmler or Goering, we're opportunists that I could easily see sell Hitler out to ensure their own continued freedom.

I don't think these factors were lost on him in the final moments of his life.

Last edited:
Can Israeli judges actually sentence someone to an angry lynch mob? :eek:

No wonder Israel gave up on capital punishment, that sounds difficult to organise, it'd be like the stoning in Life of Brian.

Judge: The defendant stands accused of waging aggressive war, the murder of six million jews and millions more, and for uttering the name of our lord!

Hitler: I had a lovely meal with Eva and all I said was this Halibut is good enough for Jehovah!

Judge: The defendant stands accused of waging aggressive war, the murder of six million jews and millions more, and for uttering the name of our lord!

Hitler: I had a lovely meal with Eva and all I said was this Halibut is good enough for Jehovah!
Jury (high-pitched): Ooh, ooh, he said the name of our Lord again! Stone him!!

Judge: ...are there any women in the jury?

Jury (baritone): ...No?

Hitler had several chances to get out Berlin but them refuse all
He wanted to end like Hero Cola di Rienzo of his beloved opera by Wagner, Rienzi, the Last of the Tribunes
Dying in burning ruins of his Capitol...

And the attendees in Hitler bunker give all same testimony: Hitler and Eva Braun killed them self, on 30 April 1945.
for Hitler he bite on cyanide capsule while in same time shooting him self in head with a revolver. to making sure he is dead.
On his order his body was pour over with petrol and burned.
That is historical fact !

on History Channel
not first time they come up with such nonsense humbug
in 2012 they show a complete fake TV documentation about Maya ruins on unknown uninhabited difficult to reach island in pacific.
what was acutely the Robinson Crusoe Island: 800 inhabitants one international airport and deep sea harbor...

Hunt for Hitler is not more that Ancient Aliens: pure Entertainment
yes i watch Ancient Aliens and have delight fun and they have also answer on question: were is Hitler ?
tumblr_inline_mxxwi27mD01qd5g5v.jpg

I don't know if anyone has done this, but right know on the History Channel their is a show called Hunting Hitler. Showing how Hitler could have escaped Berlin before the Soviets completely encircled it. What does anyone think? Was it possible and where would go? Or is it just an alternate history idea?
Since he had absolutely no intention to flee and wanted to go down with his capital, that History Channel show must have been real high quality programming of the not-at-all useless kind.

In any event, in case he had an ASB change of mind, he would just have ordered his underlings to make it happen. Either he'd left Berlin as part of a Wehrmacht convoy or, in case the change of mind came too late, not at all. Imagine that, a head of government's departure from the front line facilitated by his army. Shocking.

So, in order:
1) I think that sounds like an idiotic time waster.
2) Of course it was possible to escape Berlin before the encirclement, Hitler was there entirely voluntarily.
3) He would have gone to the next Wehrmacht HQ to stay in communication with the rest of the collapsing Reich.
4) Of course it's an alternate history idea. It requires a complete change in Hitler's character.

I guess the question was more intended along the lines of 'What if Hitler had given up on the war but instead of committing suicide, attempted to flee Germany or go into hiding?'. That would make slightly more sense... though the answer would be that he had no chance to get far.

From what i read about it, it is almost a fact the Hitler's demise followed the OTL which was he committed suicide, the Soviets found him and disposed of the remains. To go along with the what if question, if he did escape he would need on heck of a plastic surgeon so he could not be recognized and live in total seclusion. He could get Argentina to take him they were sympathetic and took other Nazis regardless of what the world thought. He wouldn't attain anything close to what he did in Germany.

I don't know if Hitler can escape. By 1945 he was probably suffering from severe Parkinson's, which caused him to shake and made it difficult for him to walk. In addition he was addicted to a cocktail of drugs (over the course of the war 90 different medications were prescribed to him, including methamphetamines) and suffered from serious mental issues. The only way he can get out is by air, and that would be incredibly risky (someone tried to get him out of Berlin by air, but she was injured in the attempt and was nearly shot down).

Even assuming he does get out there's nowhere for Hitler to go. Not only is he instantly recognizable (at least at first), but he would be the most wanted man on the face of the Earth. Think Osama Bin Laden times 1000. Any country that accepted the Fuhrer would risk becoming a pariah or being invaded.

The Osama bin Laden comparison is interesting. He was a highly wanted man and was able to hide out for almost ten years. And when he finally was found Pakistan didn't become a pariah and wasn't invaded.

If Hitler really wanted to escape he would have needed to leave Berlin earlier, flying to South America would be tough so his best odds would have been to get in a U-Boat and hope they can avoid getting sunk. But it seems like he was set on staying in Berlin until the end, otherwise he would have moved the capital to the mountains and tried to hang on there a few more months.

I thought Hitlers skull was sent to Stalin as proof of death?

According to that documentary (and other sources) genetic analysis was done on the skull and was proven to be that of a woman in her 40's. Apparently, there was a piece of jawbone that was not analyzed.

I've been watching Hunting Hitler with a critical eye. I'd recommend watching it.

What I can say is that they have certainly demonstrated plausibility that he could have escaped had he wanted to.

What they haven't addressed is:
- How the inhabitants of the bunker were fooled-by/part-of a conspiracy to hide the fact that he had fled. Afterall, the show's theory is that be fled on April 21st (when they propose he flew out of Templehof) while the bunker inhabitants say he was there until April 30th (when he committed suicide).
- They also claim that no one except his personal valet (Heinz Linge) saw the body without a sheet over it. I've found quotes from Otto Günsche saying that he also saw the body uncovered.

I guess I'd say it's an interesting show but so far has lots of holes since they haven't addressed the April 21-April 30 time frame other than to imply that a body double was used. Who knows...

I thought Hitlers skull was sent to Stalin as proof of death?

The Russians have claimed for some time to have a chunk of it, complete with bullet hole, but it was recently exposed as that of a youngish woman.

As for OP, others have said it... even if he somehow COULD escape Berlin undetected, Hitler was so ravaged by drugs, Parkinson's and insanity I would be surprised if he survived for more than a few years, let alone the escape itself.

According to that documentary (and other sources) genetic analysis was done on the skull and was proven to be that of a woman in her 40's. Apparently, there was a piece of jawbone that was not analyzed.

I've been watching Hunting Hitler with a critical eye. I'd recommend watching it.

What I can say is that they have certainly demonstrated plausibility that he could have escaped had he wanted to.

What they haven't addressed is:
- How the inhabitants of the bunker were fooled-by/part-of a conspiracy to hide the fact that he had fled. Afterall, the show's theory is that be fled on April 21st (when they propose he flew out of Templehof) while the bunker inhabitants say he was there until April 30th (when he committed suicide).
- They also claim that no one except his personal valet (Heinz Linge) saw the body without a sheet over it. I've found quotes from Otto Günsche saying that he also saw the body uncovered.

I guess I'd say it's an interesting show but so far has lots of holes since they haven't addressed the April 21-April 30 time frame other than to imply that a body double was used. Who knows...
I read an account by the soldiers in the Soviet unit that took Hitler's body once found. They said they buried it three times before finally burning it somewhere in Russia