WI: Henry VI killed at 1st Battle of St. Albans

This is an interesting one.

The First Battle of St. Albans was a bit of a shambles. Not terribly organised fighting in the town itself, and the Lancastrians came off the worst politically and militarily.

Henry VI was actually injured by an arrow becoming lodged in his shoulder (or was it his neck) during the battle. He was rushed for aid, though, and recovered.

But let's say he goes the way of Harold, and becomes the second English king to die in battle.

This is of course well before York had claimed the throne, so in the immediate short-term we'd have Edward IV (Henry's son) and a minority. But that neccessitates a protector - which could only realistically be York. (Somerset, who I guess would be the only other candidate, was killed at St Albans)

But York's army has just killed the king. His political stock with the nobility, never high at the best of times, is almost certainly going to hit the floor. Margaret is surely going to use this as a time to finally dispose of York for good.

So, how do things pan out?

Last edited:
Actually, the heir to the throne would be Henry VI's son Edward of Westminster, who is 2 at the moment so does require a regent. A quick scan shows that the nearest member of the Family is Henry Beaufort, 3rd Duke of Somerset (his father the Second Duke was the one to die in the battle) and a Grandson of John of Gaunt (Henry IV's father). He's also next in line to the throne by the looks of things, so there's a chance of a Lancastrian Richard III here.

Actually, the heir to the throne would be Henry VI's son Edward of Westminster, who is 2 at the moment so does require a regent.

Balls, sorry, that's what I meant. It should have been Edward IV, not Henry VII. (I was thinking Henry's son was named after him) Whoops. Will correct that.

The new Duke of Somerset is young and untested, and he's not a prince of the blood strictly speaking I don't think. The situation at the time was that the Beauforts couldn't inherit the throne - Henry IV layed that down in letters patent IIRC. So York is both heir, and the man who killed the old king's father. But also his most likely regent.

Heh. I may write a short TL on this at some point, it's a great political clusterfuck.

Balls, sorry, that's what I meant. It should have been Edward IV, not Henry VII. (I was thinking Henry's son was named after him) Whoops. Will correct that.

The new Duke of Somerset is young and untested, and he's not a prince of the blood strictly speaking I don't think. The situation at the time was that the Beauforts couldn't inherit the throne - Henry IV layed that down in letters patent IIRC. So York is both heir, and the man who killed the old king's father. But also his most likely regent.

Heh. I may write a short TL on this at some point, it's a great political clusterfuck.

Well, the new Duke was at St. Alban's himself.

But yeah, it's complicated, particularly as the next heirs are the children of John of Gaunt on the Lancastrian side.

TL would be great, I can help out with maps if you like.

Actually, the heir to the throne would be Henry VI's son Edward of Westminster, who is 2 at the moment so does require a regent. A quick scan shows that the nearest member of the Family is Henry Beaufort, 3rd Duke of Somerset (his father the Second Duke was the one to die in the battle) and a Grandson of John of Gaunt (Henry IV's father). He's also next in line to the throne by the looks of things, so there's a chance of a Lancastrian Richard III here.

Really IIRC the house of Beaufort was legitimized but excluded from succession to the English throne. A Beaufort 'Richard III' will be even more controversial than the Yorkist Richard III, anyway I think that this will only lead to a new chapter in the 'war of the Roses'. IMHO such actions will result in a Yorkist king.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Henry Beaufort, 3rd Duke of Somerset is 19 so however well blooded he is, I don't see him realistically in the role of Protector

Besides, think of how things will go - York and Warwick won at St Albans and opened the door to London. Now, the Queen and the Prince of Wales are probably hiding in the Tower (I don't know for sure, but I imagine they were in London) but those in charge of the gates of London are most likely to throw them open and welcome Richard in AS REGENT (Protector)

Its going to be a fait acccompli at this stage, and if necessary the Queen COULD be besieged in the Tower still she agrees and brings the boy out

Best Regards
Grey Wolf