WI: Hapsburgs stay in Germany, effects on HRE, Reformation

Let's assume the same POD as my previous post about the Trastamaras retaining Spain. Infante Juan, Prince of Asturias, survives to adulthood and has children of his own, Charles V never inherits his massive empire, Spain keeps the New World gold and silver and uses it to fund a conquest of North Africa, Spanish soldiers are thus busy occupying Tunis and Algiers and Oran and are not available to fight Protestant princes. Phillip is raised in Brabant or Antwerp or something instead of Toledo.

Sidenote, what are the effects on England? Can Charles V still sack Rome and coerce the Pope into denying Henry VIII an annulment?

Let's assume the same POD as my previous post about the Trastamaras retaining Spain. Infante Juan, Prince of Asturias, survives to adulthood and has children of his own, Charles V never inherits his massive empire, Spain keeps the New World gold and silver and uses it to fund a conquest of North Africa, Spanish soldiers are thus busy occupying Tunis and Algiers and Oran and are not available to fight Protestant princes. Phillip is raised in Brabant or Antwerp or something instead of Toledo.

Sidenote, what are the effects on England? Can Charles V still sack Rome and coerce the Pope into denying Henry VIII an annulment?

Philip's mother would be Anne of Bohemia and Hungary

To start from the end, Charles did not ask Rome: it was done by the Spanish, Italian and German troops which did not receive salary, rebelled and forced their commander to led them on Rome. Charles just managed to use situation to his political advantage. In OTL the imperial army included 14,000 Landsknehts, 6,000 Spaniards and unknown number of the Italians. Even without the Spaniards, the attackers would have a significant numeric advantage over approximately 5,000 defenders of a dubious quality.

Would this happen without the Spanish contingents? The answer depends upon the ability of just German contingents led by Frundsberg to defeat the Papal forces during the War of the League of Cognac. Probably it make sense to start with much earlier campaigns of the Italuan Wars, for example campaign of 1525 and battle of Pavia. De Lannoy was from the Netherlands by de Leyva (defender of Padua) was a Spaniard. It is not quite clear how many Spanish troops Lannoy had under his command but it seems that the critical role had been played by
15,000 landsknechts led by Frundsberg. Would they be able to win without the Spaniards? If not, then the later events would be strongly impacted by a different outcome of this battle, etc.

Or you can try to figure out for how long Charles would be able to fight the war without Spanish financial resourses (the landsknechts cost money). Perhaps the wars would be over before the Sack of Rome.

As for Henry, how would the Sack of Rome (if happens) be relevant within this scenario? His wife is not emperor’s relative so why would Charles care?

As a side note, I really don’t understand why Henry was bothering with all that brouhaha instead of quietly getting rid of a problem? With a medicine being what it was and no autopsy and other unpleasant modern procedures, unfortunate fall from the stairs or indigestion could save a lot of aggravation. Was England that short of the people with the useful skills? Of course, looting the Church properties made the whole exercise worthwhile but when it started Henry did not anticipate a potential of the project.

Without the influence of Spanish Jesuits Charles V might be less hostile to Luther. Which Phillip are you talking about>
Philip II of Spain obviously
And why would this make a fundamental difference if you assume that he is still the same Phillip?
No way he would be the same Philip but I think who his mother will be more likely a French princess or Mary Tudor (daughter of Henry VII) than Anne of Bohemia and Hungary.

Without the influence of Spanish Jesuits Charles V might be less hostile to Luther. Which Phillip are you talking about>
Well, in OTL some of the Austrian Hapsburgs proved to be too devout Catholics for their own good with a resulting 30YW. So there is no reason to assume that alt-Charles and his son are absolutely open-minded people. In OTL Charles was forced to show tolerance just because he did not have a choice: Protestantism became too popular in Germany (meaning that a big percentage of the landsknechts were Protestants and doing something bad to their religion would be counterproductive; the same goes for the German princes unless they openly rebelled). But it does not automatically mean that his successor is on the same level of comprehension. OTOH, this probably would not mean too much because this alt-Phillip, if he becomes an emperor, is going to be in a position seriously different from one of the Phillip II in the terms what he could and could not do and which problems he would be facing even if he is a carbon copy of a real one.

Anyway, I was talking about personality. If we assume (just to keep some traction with the known world) that altPhillip has the same character as a real one, what difference does it make who is his mother? OK, I got it, she is a different person and so what in practical terms? How this fact affects his personality and politics?

Without the influence of Spanish Jesuits Charles V might be less hostile to Luther.>

Luther started his preaching in 1517.
Charles V reigned from 1519 (crowned as a King of Germany in 1520) till 1556.
Order of Jesuits had been officially founded in 1540 and, while the founders were from Spain, the order hardly was “Spanish”: the 1st meeting took place in France (the founders had been students of Paris University) after being ordained in 1534 they for few years had been doing preaching and charitable work in Italy. Until 1550 their number did not exceed 60. So how exactly did they manage to shape Charles’ attitude toward Luther?

Last edited:
Luther started his preaching in 1517.
Charles V reigned from 1519 (crowned as a King of Germany in 1520) till 1556.
Order of Jesuits had been officially founded in 1540 and, while the founders were from Spain, the order hardly was “Spanish”: the 1st meeting took place in France (the founders had been students of Paris University) after being ordained in 1534 they for few years had been doing preaching and charitable work in Italy. Until 1550 their number did not exceed 60. So how exactly did they manage to shape Charles’ attitude toward Luther?
My apologies to the Jesuits and to Charles V who was raised in the Netherlands. In any case the offspring of Phillip will be different than OTL. Phillip may live to become HRE upon the death of Maximilian.

My apologies to the Jesuits and to Charles V who was raised in the Netherlands. In any case the offspring of Phillip will be different than OTL. Phillip may live to become HRE upon the death of Maximilian.

I assume that you are talking about Archduke Phillip. Yes, a lot of things would be quite different. It is just that when it all ends with “he would have a different mother”, it is anything but clear what this means in the terms of a final “product”: would that different mother be actively involved in bringing up a completely different person (then how) or would that person be forced to be different by a different set of the circumstances?

I assume that you are talking about Archduke Phillip. Yes, a lot of things would be quite different. It is just that when it all ends with “he would have a different mother”, it is anything but clear what this means in the terms of a final “product”: would that different mother be actively involved in bringing up a completely different person (then how) or would that person be forced to be different by a different set of the circumstances?
I should have been more specific. I was referencing Philip the Handsome, the son of Maximilian HRE.

This would be both a blessing and a curse for the Hapsburgs, especially if they don't get Hungary.
Many butterflies. A successor to Vladislus II of Bohemia may convert to Protestantism. A more competent monarch than Louis II may avoid war with the Ottomans,