WI: Greatest Mystery of the 19th Century - Napoleon Disappears!

Eugene de Beauharnais was loyal to his stepfather. Is that the same as being loyal to his stepbrother? More than his father-in-law? His own mother's machinations? Also, as soon as Jerome gets a piece of the Empire in addition to (the reduced) Kingdom of Westphalia, there would be grounds to try to expand Italy.
Josephine also was loyal to Napoleon and is unlikely to manovre against Napoleon’s will (and truly she has no reason for being involved in regency’s machinations as none between Marie Louise, Joseph and Louis is her friend and Eugene is well settled in Italy)

In light of the recent Malet coup having also claimed Napelon was dead before being disproved, I wonder if there might be some big misunderstandings in the short term. Would there be a stubborn insistence that the emperor is still out there somewhere and an implication anyone claiming otherwise is preparing a coup like Malet?

In light of the recent Malet coup having also claimed Napelon was dead before being disproved, I wonder if there might be some big misunderstandings in the short term. Would there be a stubborn insistence that the emperor is still out there somewhere and an implication anyone claiming otherwise is preparing a coup like Malet?
I'm guessing that there would be at first. Emperors don't just disappear.

And later on, there will be plenty of myth-forming about his disappearance. Not as much as it would have been if it was before Russia went wrong, but still. It makes for quite a story.

Yes, something along these lines. Hard to tell with Alex but (a) Oldenburg issue was in a short list of the problems discussed prior to the invasion (both sides had been talking while preparing to war) and (b) with a Direct Divine Intervention removing Enemy of the Mankind Alexander may consider his mission completed. Or he may not, depending upon how he is going to interpret this God's act. So I'm quite ready to assume that interpretation could be opposite: "Enemy of the Mankind is killed by God and now it is God's will that we have to liberate Europe!" When the direct communications with God had been involved, nobody in Russia would stay between the Deity and Alexander.
But we have to admit that with Nappy gone this interpretation is missing something fundamental and is not such a fun anymore. x'D

OTOH, whoever is in charge in France after a catastrophe (losing Nappy) and the lesser but still irritating unpleasantries (losing something on a scale of half a million by killed and POWs in Russia and suffering serious defeats in Spain), probably would be eager to cut the losses and if this meant screwing the allies, well, it is just too bad. If the remaining Polish (and Saxon) troops are ready to fight for the Duchy, well, this is very noble and heroic of them but we are marching all the way back to the Rhine. Anyway, it is not even clear who can be put in charge of what's now passing for the French army in Europe. Murat? Laughable. Davout? Disliked by most of the marshals. Bertier? He is not a field general. Ney? Everybody (except Davout) admires him but there is a little doubt that he is an idiot. Eugene? Not even a marshal. Lebefre? Very good when situation requires a show of the personal bravery but that's it.... etc. Forget the territorial losses, assemble whatever is possible and fall back to the defensible position while trying to make a descent peace. Maybe stop East of the Rhine because Bavaria and Baden are seemingly loyal but be ready to thrown them under the bus, if needed (OTOH, they belong to the "old boys" club and the opponents are not going to press them too hard.

Does anybody really care about Jerome? I don't think so.

Getting back to the issue of the regency, probably from the Russian and Prussian position Joseph is a better candidate than unhappy widow because she is a potential Trojan Horse for Austria and nobody wants the Hapsburgs dominating most of Europe. Joseph is reasonable, well established within France and has a good communication channel with Alexander.

I suspect Soult would be recalled from Spain to be the chief Marshal.

I suspect Soult would be recalled from Spain to be the chief Marshal.
Hopefully the new Regent would be smart enough to recall everybody from Spain. Restoring the Bourbons and working out some sort of end of open hostilities with the UK would a) engender quite a bit of good will and b) free up a large number of men (including some Spanish Bonapartistas who would no longer be welcome at home) who may be more needed elsewhere.
The day Soult leaves would probably be a Spanish day of celebration... the Plunderer-in-Chief had an appetite for other peoples' artwork and valuables that was of downright Goering-esque proportions :p

Oh, I'm certain that the accusations and recriminations would sound far and wide, and the conspiracy theories would abound. The Russian peasantry would probably whisper among themselves that the Devil himself had come up to snatch Antichristos :)

He is too junior (IIRC).

It depends on how you see the military hierarchy. It wasn't always based on rank or military competence. Often the choice was based on family relations as when Murat, Eugene and Jerome received major commands.

Murat was probably the most likely choice (as he had been when Napoleon scarpered off), followed by Eugene as they had the link to the Bonaparte family and had been theatre commanders previously. Both were kings or the closest thing to it.

Out of the remaining marshals, by 1813 only Soult, Davout and Ney had the necessary military standing to assume undisputed theatre command or even total command of the army (and were part of the original batch of marshals). And out of those three, Soult was undoubtedly the smoothest political operator and most likely to be able to work well with the civilian authorities.

You know, I've been wondering under what circumstances Prussia could remain on France's side after 1812. Tauroggen was pretty controversial to begin with - Friedrich Wilhelm III wanted to punish Yorck for it at first before he was persuaded to join the Allies.

Certainly, it would be interesting if Prussia decides to see just how much they can get out of France. However, I don't consider it very likely - the Prussians hated France after Tilsit, and I doubt there was anything that could stop them from seeking revenge.

You know, I've been wondering under what circumstances Prussia could remain on France's side after 1812. Tauroggen was pretty controversial to begin with - Friedrich Wilhelm III wanted to punish Yorck for it at first before he was persuaded to join the Allies.

Certainly, it would be interesting if Prussia decides to see just how much they can get out of France. However, I don't consider it very likely - the Prussians hated France after Tilsit, and I doubt there was anything that could stop them from seeking revenge.
Buy 'em off by returning some of the territory taken at Tilsit, and try to convince them that Russia is the greater danger... also try to play Prussia and Austria off against each other.... shouldn't be too difficult. "Hey, remember when the Prussians snatched Silesia from you?" :)

It depends on how you see the military hierarchy. It wasn't always based on rank or military competence. Often the choice was based on family relations as when Murat, Eugene and Jerome received major commands.

Murat was probably the most likely choice (as he had been when Napoleon scarpered off), followed by Eugene as they had the link to the Bonaparte family and had been theatre commanders previously. Both were kings or the closest thing to it.

Out of the remaining marshals, by 1813 only Soult, Davout and Ney had the necessary military standing to assume undisputed theatre command or even total command of the army (and were part of the original batch of marshals). And out of those three, Soult was undoubtedly the smoothest political operator and most likely to be able to work well with the civilian authorities.
I have no doubts in his abilities as a field commander (as a chief of staff he failed at Waterloo). The question is would he be able to work with Ney and especially Davout? Would Davout agree to serve under any of his “fellow” marshals? His most famous battle, Auerstedt, took place in its OTL form because before march started he had a row with Bernadotte about seniority. Davout‘s position was: “I’m marching first so I’m in charge” and Bernadotte’s: “it is either me or screw you”; it is probably worth noticing that on the last stage of this campaign Bernadotte was cooperating with his colleagues, Murat and Soult (in battle of Lubeck) without visible problems or intervention from Nappy.

Speaking of Bernadote, does he still end up on the Swedish throne here?
If the Great Mystery happens on the way back from Moscow, Bernadotte is already a heir to the throne of Sweden and Alexander’s friend. OTOH, his chances to get to the throne of France are too close to zero to be considered even comparing to the OTL (no foreign invasion of France which would make schema at least theoretically possible).

But we can easily find at least two persons who would be happier than in OTL, the Clary sisters, because Julie would not have to leave France and Desire would not have to keep begging Louis XVIII to let her return. So both of them are in Paris enjoying each other company for at least the next decade (if Desire leaves for Sweden on OTL schedule).

If the Great Mystery happens on the way back from Moscow, Bernadotte is already a heir to the throne of Sweden and Alexander’s friend. OTOH, his chances to get to the throne of France are too close to zero to be considered even comparing to the OTL (no foreign invasion of France which would make schema at least theoretically possible).

But we can easily find at least two persons who would be happier than in OTL, the Clary sisters, because Julie would not have to leave France and Desire would not have to keep begging Louis XVIII to let her return. So both of them are in Paris enjoying each other company for at least the next decade (if Desire leaves for Sweden on OTL schedule).
Yeah, Bernadotte's not coming back to France... benefit to Sweden, deficit to France. Even without a shot at the Imperial Throne, he would be an asset....
So then, what happens to relations between Sweden and Denmark/Norway? I'd like to think that the Danes wouldn't get thrown under the bus, but.... pretty much everything could be on the table at this point.
Maybe the Regent could try to buy Bernadotte off with retaining Swedish Pomerania, but I doubt that would keep his eyes off of Norway for long...

Yeah, Bernadotte's not coming back to France... benefit to Sweden, deficit to France. Even without a shot at the Imperial Throne, he would be an asset....
So then, what happens to relations between Sweden and Denmark/Norway? I'd like to think that the Danes wouldn't get thrown under the bus, but.... pretty much everything could be on the table at this point.
Maybe the Regent could try to buy Bernadotte off with retaining Swedish Pomerania, but I doubt that would keep his eyes off of Norway for long...
IIRC, an issue of getting Norway as a compensation for Finland was decided upon during the meeting at Abo. Of course, opinion of Denmark and Norway was not solicited but (no offense to the Danes), with the Russian blessing and, if needed, help Bernadotte most probably would be able to get Norway in this changed framework: after all, nobody was going to support it except France and France is out because Joseph is using Bernadotte to get on Alexander’s good side.

IIRC, an issue of getting Norway as a compensation for Finland was decided upon during the meeting at Abo. Of course, opinion of Denmark and Norway was not solicited but (no offense to the Danes), with the Russian blessing and, if needed, help Bernadotte most probably would be able to get Norway in this changed framework: after all, nobody was going to support it except France and France is out because Joseph is using Bernadotte to get on Alexander’s good side.
Well, I can't speak for the Danes or the Norwegians, but I think they'll take great offense to the arrangement :) Of course, with most of the Danish fleet either dragged off or at the bottom of the Baltic courtesy of the UK, don't think there's much they could realistically do about it...

What were Bernadotte's relations with the Prussians? Any way he could be "played off" as a counterbalance to an overly-revanchist Prussia?
Of course, he would expect something in exchange....