WI Goering Dead?

WI our favorite obese, cowardly morphine addict (Goering) was killed when he was a fighter pilot in WWII? Namely, he just becomes another somewhat obscure German casualty in WWI. What would the effect be on the inter-war years and WWII? Who would take over the Luftwaffe in his place, and would he perhaps be more confident, successful and/or sane than Goering? Would Goering's absence make any marked difference on Nazi politics?

No Goering no Nazis in power. I think we forget quite how popular he was at times, the man had charisma, was a hero and as nuremberg showed when he was "clean" he was a very shrewd opperator. Other parties willingness to do business with the NSDAP had a lot to do with a belief in a moderate wing to the party, as did funding. Goring was someone you could invite to a salon or a weekend in the country, he was "one of us" to the upper class with his love of hunting and the country. Although he became a bloated joke later on without him they would be in trouble way before gaining power. Roehm and Goebelles were not socially acceptable, the Strassers were suspicuously keen on the S bit of the NSDAP, Himmler was a cranky chicken farmer. Hitler an austrian immigrant with an interest in his niece. Without the big fella and before him Ludendorf, they'ld have just been a pack of cranks with an unaccountable popularity in Bavaria.
It's arguable thta if he had died in the first world war the second would never have hapened, well not against Germany anyway ;)

Dont tell me that his death leaves the post open for Hoess?????:eek::eek::eek:

There was a large degree of separation between the Prime Minister of Prussia-chief of the Luftwaffe, and the commandant of Auschwitz concentration camp who was previously a criminal nobody, so don't worry.

Dont tell me that his death leaves the post open for Hoess?????:eek::eek::eek:

Are you by any chance referring to Rudolf Hess, Hitler's secretary and the NSDAP Deputy Führer? Despite their similar-sounding names, he's entirely another person than camp commander Rudolf Höss.

Are you by any chance referring to Rudolf Hess, Hitler's secretary and the NSDAP Deputy Führer? Despite their similar-sounding names, he's entirely another person than camp commander Rudolf Höss.

Ah, yes, Rudolf Hess, the dimwitted nonentity.

When he said Hoess I immediately thought of Rudolf Hoess, death camp operative.

No Goering no Nazis in power. I think we forget quite how popular he was at times, the man had charisma, was a hero and as nuremberg showed when he was "clean" he was a very shrewd opperator. Other parties willingness to do business with the NSDAP had a lot to do with a belief in a moderate wing to the party, as did funding. Goring was someone you could invite to a salon or a weekend in the country, he was "one of us" to the upper class with his love of hunting and the country. Although he became a bloated joke later on without him they would be in trouble way before gaining power. Roehm and Goebelles were not socially acceptable, the Strassers were suspicuously keen on the S bit of the NSDAP, Himmler was a cranky chicken farmer. Hitler an austrian immigrant with an interest in his niece. Without the big fella and before him Ludendorf, they'ld have just been a pack of cranks with an unaccountable popularity in Bavaria.
It's arguable thta if he had died in the first world war the second would never have hapened, well not against Germany anyway ;)

All that you say is true and I agree with you for the most part. However, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that the Nazis are able to come up with some other war hero/upper-class German to fall into their pack with them. For example, you mentioned Ludendorff--WI he doesn't fall out with Hitler in TTL? Or perhaps other well-known generals, like von Mackensen, are quite a bit more vocal about their support of the Nazis. Of course, this requires that such generals (Ludendorff and von Mackensen included) change some of their policies.

Therefore, could we find a younger, popular general to help the Nazi cause? Though this admittedly may be ASB, WI if Boelcke or Richthofen survives WWI? More historically, who would be a fitting replacement for Goering?

No independent Luftwaffe, but instead german airforce would be just an aviation component of the Wehrmacht?

And since there would not be constant inner battles between Wehrmacht and Lufftwaffe, nazis actually finish building aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin.

And, as mentioned, maybe more right-winged Nazi Party...

_

No independent Luftwaffe, but instead german airforce would be just an aviation component of the Wehrmacht?

And since there would not be constant inner battles between Wehrmacht and Lufftwaffe, nazis actually finish building aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin.

The Luftwaffe was part of the Wehrmacht. Now it's currently part of the Bundeswehr.

And how does Goering's removal make the party more right-wing?

_

I'm wondering if no Goring would mean someone like General Wever would
run the Luftwaffe which would mean a four engined heavy bomber.

Don't you mean a more left-wing party? It was primarily the collectivism of the early Nazis that the Junkers and industrialists didn't like and that moderates like Göring weakened.

Reviving this thread.

Goering said during his imprisonment that he almost joined the Free Masons after WWI and that would have disqualified him for the Nazi Party. What happened was he was waiting for his Mason friends to pick him up to go sign up. While waiting on the street a pretty blond walking by recognized him from his propaganda posters and he left with her instead.

Minor butterfly, count von Rosen (of Biafran fame) can join RAF and risk getting shot down. Edit: If he even goes into aviation...