WI: German Government Supports Merchent Subs

Well, the submarine question seems to have gone quiet for the moment, so one more thought re airships.

If these were up and running by Spring 1917, does Lenin get to travel from Switzerland to Sweden (or even direct to Petrograd) on an American passenger airship, the US presumably having stayed neutral?

Considering America's future relations with Commies like him, there'd be an amusing irony to it.

Deleted member 1487

I doubt that rigged airships were capable of reaching heights above the fighter plane's ceilings of the day. Even if they were being used by a 3rd party like the US, they wouldn't have nearly enough cargo space to make them worthwhile, far less than even the merchant subs.

I doubt that rigged airships were capable of reaching heights above the fighter plane's ceilings of the day. Even if they were being used by a 3rd party like the US, they wouldn't have nearly enough cargo space to make them worthwhile, far less than even the merchant subs.

Agreed. I was thinking of it more as a passenger service, so that people (esp upper crust ones whose lives actually mattered :D) could cross the Pond without having to worry about being torpedoed, and perhaps send mail that someone really didn't want intercepted.

Even if they couldn't rise above the aircraft, that might only require them to be choosy about their route. Would many aircraft of the period have the range to intercept anything over open ocean? I assume that the one carrying Lenin would go with Germany's knowledge and at least tacit consent.

It just might be more acceptable to certain people's pride. I have trouble imagining an Astor or a Vanderbilt being willing to dodge the u-boats by skulking in a cramped and smelly sub, but he might be quite happy to use the latest "aircuiser".

Something we hardly discussed so far...

...I wonder what chances these submarines would stand to get across the Atlantic in one piece?

How would the tactics of these subs look like? What would the ASW answer be like?

I expect especially the last few hundred kilometres through North Sea or Channel to be very difficult.

Something we hardly discussed so far...

...I wonder what chances these submarines would stand to get across the Atlantic in one piece?

How would the tactics of these subs look like? What would the ASW answer be like?

I expect especially the last few hundred kilometres through North Sea or Channel to be very difficult.

They would face generally the same threats that the Germans regular U Boats did, if anything the threat would be lower as these guys would try to avoid combat.

Michael