Hey all,
So, George VI refused to leave Buckingham during the Blitz, opting instead to stay in London with his subjects. On 13 September 1940, the King and Queen were very nearly killed, when a German bomb exploded in the courtyard at Buckingham Palace while they were still there.

What would the effect on the British people have been, if King George was killed during the Blitz? Would this have demoralised Britain, or would this have inspired them to fight harder? How would Queen Elizabeth rule, as a young monarch during wartime?

Cheers, all!

Edit: this post was inspired by a song, "The King Is Still In London," written during the Blitz to celebrate the King's decision not to flee the city. Seems like something you all might like.

Last edited:
Brits would be really mad and decide fight harder.

Elizabeth II would be now longest reigned monarch of sovereign nation in history. Not sure if she still would marry Philip Mountbatten. Her fistborn might be named George instead Charles.

The war would change from beating the Nazi to avenging The King, and the Queen if she died along side him. Churchill and the General Staff would have to do something immediately afterward for revenge that wouldn't carry too much risk to their resources at the time to appease a bloody thirsty public, but besides that nothing changes in the overall war save increased American public opinion towards the British and Churchill making it policy to kill Nazi leadership.

As for Elizabeth II by law her uncle Henry, Duke of Gloucester would be Regent until 21 April 1944. If the Queen Mother survived the bombing of Buckingham Palace then she'd obviously continue raising her daughters if not at Windsor than at Balmoral; if both her parents were killed than she and Margaret would have been raised most likely by their grandmother Queen Mary of Teck though I doubt they would stay in Marlborough House in London and thus either at Windsor or Balmoral though I could see all three residing at Harewood House in Yorkshire the home of Elizabeth's aunt Mary, Princess Royal who was married to the Earl of Harewood that way if Queen Mary were to pass away (she was 73 in 1940 and even though she lived until 1953, one had to plan for just in chase) the two would then pass to the custody of their aunt. In any case, there would be no coronation until after the war, probably late 1946.

As for what Elizabeth II does after 21 April 1944, the Allies are preparing for D-Day less than two months away so I would believe she'd be visiting various American, British, and Canadian units as part of her first official acts in her majority as Queen. Long range, she had been exchanging letters with Philip Mountbatten since she was 13 and Philip was on numerous ships throughout the war in the Med and Pacific, so 50-50 they still get married. I agree with @Lalli, her first son will be named George.

David Flin

Gone Fishin'
Elizabeth II would be now longest reigned monarch of sovereign nation in history. Not sure if she still would marry Philip Mountbatten. Her fistborn might be named George instead Charles.

She absolutely would marry Phillip. They had already met, and - assuming Phillip survives the war (not a given, since he saw action and was First Lieutenant on HMS Wallace which might well have been sunk during an air attack) - it had been pretty much decided.

The biggest change I can see is that my Uncle Patrick doesn't get to tell one of his best "tales" - stories that sound vaguely plausible until you start examining them. Usually with him as the central character.

She absolutely would marry Phillip. They had already met, and - assuming Phillip survives the war (not a given, since he saw action and was First Lieutenant on HMS Wallace which might well have been sunk during an air attack) - it had been pretty much decided.

The biggest change I can see is that my Uncle Patrick doesn't get to tell one of his best "tales" - stories that sound vaguely plausible until you start examining them. Usually with him as the central character.
Good points

Would your uncle be the source of the tale of the Princesses being out on the town on VE Night?

David Flin

Gone Fishin'
Would your uncle be the source of the tale of the Princesses being out on the town on VE Night?

No. According to his version, he was a Transport Sergeant in London, when he met and chatted up an ATS officer driving a truck with, according to him, considerable success, only to find out later who she was.

I'm not one to call my Uncle a liar, but his war service record does say that at the time in question, he was a rifleman in Burma. Still, he was always very convincing when he told the tale.

Gentle Reader. First hand accounts need to be verified.

If Elizabeth loses her father and/or her mother at the age of 13, what would be the psycolgical impact on her? What happens to prince Henry? Since this happens before 1942, what happens to prince George?

You're no fun
But constitutionally in the UK that is the boring truth. The King is Dead, Long Live the Queen. (Vice versa at some point in our future.) An emotional occasion but not one that directly influences politics or governance.

Two implications in this instance. As the new monarch is a Minor, the Accession Council that confirms her as sovereign will also appoint a Regent and Regency Council until she comes of age. (Which might be 21 at this time but past precedents are for monarchs to reign without one from 18 or even 16.) IMHO Her Coronation will be delayed until after the war is over.

Also as others have suggested, she and her sister may well be moved to safer locations outside London. Maybe Princess Margaret Rose will go to Canada and tour the US?

The indirect effects on British morale? I go with the thesis of combined mourning and fury immediately. Followed by cold fury and grim determination to win the war at all costs. Financial and human.

Provided the King's death is seen as just a "normal" product of the Blitz, a random bomb that just hit the Palace rather the docks or other target, that's about all. No demands for special Vengeance or an even harsher post war treatment of Germans. This is the OPs POD i think.

BUT, IF there is any reason to think it was planned, a deliberate assassination, well that would be another matter. Operation Vengeance might be implemented, bombing missions target leading Nazis, bounty paid to assassins etc. Tube Alloys goes ahead earlier and the Morgenthau Plan seen as excessively lenient.

Also, Margaret Rose will be the heiress Presumptive to the new queen for several years, which she wasn’t in real history. This will have interesting effects.

Also in this world, Elizabeth will have been the head of state of Britain and her Empire for the vast majority of the Second World War, as She needs a regent but she will still have been Queen. This will also have interesting effects, Both on Lizzie, and how she’s seen by by John and Jane Bull.
@Lalli

Phillip might be out in this world because of his connection to the Hesse and by Rhine grand ducal house?
Why would that be? They are a mostly German Royal family. That is what royal families do, they fight against each other in wars, and sometimes they do get killed. Phillip spent the war heroically fighting for Britian in the Royal Navy, no one could doubt his patriotism, or courage.

But constitutionally in the UK that is the boring truth. The King is Dead, Long Live the Queen. (Vice versa at some point in our future.) An emotional occasion but not one that directly influences politics or governance.
To be sure, but this would be a traumatic cultural event. History is more than just high politics. It'd change how the British monarchy is perceived for generations, and how World War II is remembered forever.

I'd be curious to know what Elizabeth's coronation would be like. Obviously, the traditional grand ceremony at Westminster would be difficult during wartime (and in poor taste), although a more modest ceremony still at Westminster would be very much in the Blitz spirit.

Why would that be? They are a mostly German Royal family. That is what royal families do, they fight against each other in wars, and sometimes they do get killed. Phillip spent the war heroically fighting for Britian in the Royal Navy, no one could doubt his patriotism, or courage.
Exactly

He was as much a war hero as any other decorated RN officers (& Army/RAF equivalents). And if the young Queen wanted him who amongst Her people (or government) would be naysayers?

Of course, this Assumes Philip survives the War or achieves the same recognition of his courage and ability.

To be sure, but this would be a traumatic cultural event. History is more than just high politics. It'd change how the British monarchy is perceived for generations, and how World War II is remembered forever.

I'd be curious to know what Elizabeth's coronation would be like. Obviously, the traditional grand ceremony at Westminster would be difficult during wartime (and in poor taste), although a more modest ceremony still at Westminster would be very much in the Blitz spirit.
Yes, the late King will be remembered as having died for His People and the Land. (Capitals deliberate) The monarchy will be at least as secure as OTL.

I think the Coronation would be delayed until after the War. But i could see a formal ceremony at Windsor where the new Queen dedicates herself to serve the nation and the peoples of the Commonwealth. (As OTL she did, in 1947?)

To be filmed and distributed around the world. Plus a radio broadcast of The Queen's Speech.

Yes, the late King will be remembered as having died for His People and the Land. (Capitals deliberate) The monarchy will be at least as secure as OTL.

I think the Coronation would be delayed until after the War. But i could see a formal ceremony at Windsor where the new Queen dedicates herself to serve the nation and the peoples of the Commonwealth. (As OTL she did, in 1947?)

To be filmed and distributed around the world. Plus a radio broadcast of The Queen's Speech.
Do you know when the last King of England died from enemy action? It might be Richard III? If anyone knows please tell us.

Also, Margaret Rose will be the heiress Presumptive to the new queen for several years, which she wasn’t in real history. This will have interesting effects.
For one thing her mother and grandmother will take steps to find her a suitable husband as soon as possible. She'll be married by the time she's 21.