WI George II has no surviving descendants

In 1722, George Augustus, Prince of Wales, had had five children (Frederick, Anne, Amelia, Caroline, George William, and William), one of whom (George William) had died in infancy. In that year, the royal family decided to have Prince Frederick inoculated for smallpox. This meant deliberately infecting him with a (hopefully) minor case of the disease under favorable conditions to prevent the patient from contracting a more severe case in the wild later in life. The process usually worked as intended, but in 1-2% of inoculations the patient contracted a severe case of smallpox and either died or survived with severe long-term effects.

IOTL, Prince Frederick was part of the 98-99% of inoculatees who survived with no severe long-term effects. Suppose instead he'd died, and suppose further that he passes the disease along to his parents and siblings, leaving one of his parents sterile and killing Princess Anne and Princess Amelia.

As per OTL, Prince George takes the throne in 1727 and reigns for a bit over 30 years. Also per OTL, Princess Caroline dies childless in 1757 and Prince William has no children. William takes the throne in 1760, but he (also per OTL) dies a few years later.

The official line of succession would then pass to George II's sister Sophia, Queen in Prussia, who had died in 1740, and then to her heir, Frederick the Great, King of Prussia.

So, my questions, had this incredibly contrived scenario come to pass:

1. Would Frederick the Great indeed be the legal heir under the Act of Settlement? The two potential legal issues I see are the requirement that the King of Britain join in communion with the Church of England (Frederick was a Calvinist, but might decide that London is worth a communion) and the ban on the monarch leaving Britain without the consent of Parliament.
  2. Regardless of the terms of the Act of Settlement, would Frederick be permitted to inherit? There's plenty of recent precedent in Britain for adjusting succession laws when the heir is inconvenient. Would there be enough opposition to the idea of personal union with Prussia to prompt another change in succession laws to pick a different heir?
  3. Who would be the alternative heir? Someone from a distant cadet branch of the House of Hanover?
  4. If Frederick does wind up inheriting the British throne, what are the consequences? IOTL, George III's reign saw the American Revolution, a constitutional struggle with Parliament which wound up establishing the precedent that the Prime Minister requires the confidence of the House of Commons to continue to hold office, and the Napoleonic wars. Unless these get butterflied away, the former two would instead happen on Frederick's watch, and the latter would happen under King Frederick William I of England and II of Prussia. Also interesting to consider would be whether Frederich (a promoter of religious tolerance in Prussia) would push for earlier Catholic Emancipation in Britain, and what effect that would have in Ireland.

1. Would Frederick the Great indeed be the legal heir under the Act of Settlement? The two potential legal issues I see are the requirement that the King of Britain join in communion with the Church of England (Frederick was a Calvinist, but might decide that London is worth a communion) and the ban on the monarch leaving Britain without the consent of Parliament.
  2. Regardless of the terms of the Act of Settlement, would Frederick be permitted to inherit? There's plenty of recent precedent in Britain for adjusting succession laws when the heir is inconvenient. Would there be enough opposition to the idea of personal union with Prussia to prompt another change in succession laws to pick a different heir?
  3. Who would be the alternative heir? Someone from a distant cadet branch oProxy-Connection: keep-alive Cache-Control: max-age=0 the House of Hanover?
  4. If Frederick does wind up inheriting the British throne, what are the consequences? IOTL, George III's reign saw the American Revolution, a constitutional struggle with Parliament which wound up establishing the precedent that the Prime Minister requires the confidence of the House of Commons to continue to hold office, and the Napoleonic wars. Unless these get butterflied away, the former two would instead happen on Frederick's watch, and the latter would happen under King Frederick William I of England and II of Prussia. Also interesting to consider would be whether Frederich (a promoter of religious tolerance in Prussia) would push for earlier Catholic Emancipation in Britain, and what effect that would have in Ireland.

1. Frederick is the heir, I don't see the Church issue as an issue, King George II was Head of the Church of England, the Scottish Church (the Kirk) and the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Hanover all at once (as was his Father, Grandson, and two Great-Grandsons)

2. in the 1760s Prussia wasn't what it would become I don't see any one being worried over personal union with Prussia more than personal union with Hanover

3. the only heirs are the Children of Sophia Dorotha and Fredrick William I of Prussia

4. that one is a hard call, I can see the King pushing for better Army, getting personally involved in a way George III was not, the issue of a non-British monarch at the time might weaken the monarchy, I can't see King William IV in this time line being good for the Monarchy so maybe we're closer to the 1830s Monarchy by the time King Fredrick is crowned, also he dies Childless in 1786 passing the crown to Frederick William II of Prussia (likely to rule in the UK as Frederick II or William V)

having done more reading I've found something out, George II's oldest daughter, was Anne, Princess of Orange, mother of William V, Prince of Orange, than there is Princess Mary, Landgravine of Hesse, mother of William I Elector of Hesse, also Queen Lousie of Norway and Denmark mother of King Christian VII of Denmark

so it seems that George II's girls made many heirs.

As per OTL, Prince George takes the throne in 1727 and reigns for a bit over 30 years. Also per OTL, Princess Caroline dies childless in 1757 and Prince William has no children. William takes the throne in 1760, but he (also per OTL) dies a few years later.

William Duke of Cumberland didn't have children because he never married. I doubt it would be the case ITTL when he would be the Prince of Wales and would be expected to generate a heir. Probably Caroline didn't have a husband because the succession was already secured (and her two eldest sisters were already married too). So, in order to have your POD working you need to have a "Bourbon's 1711-1714" scenario and kill all them.

The British would see no problem in accepting Frederick the Great as their new monarch. But I wonder what it would mean to Hanover. Under Salic Law, the heir of the George II there would be the Duke of Brunswick-Wonfenbüttel, Charles I. However, he was a very distant relative of the king. Could Frederick claim the lands? But Charles was married to a sister of Frederick, so I'm not sure if he would want it.

I'd considered having the smallpox leave Prince Frederick of Wales sterile rather than dead, as a butterfly control measure. That'd still leave William Duke of Cumberland as the spare, so it's be less likely that he or Caroline would be pressed to marry in order to secure the succession as long as Prince Frederick was alive (he died of a sports injury in 1751 IOTL, nine years before George II), especially if William still fell into disfavor with his father as per OTL. My POD is still pretty tenuous, though.

I'd thought there might be lingering bad blood between Britain and Prussia over their being on opposite sides of the War of Austrian Succession, but after doing a bit more research it looks like that was water under the bridge by 1765, and indeed Prussia had been allied with Britain and Hannover in the more recent Seven Years War. If I could somehow kill off the entire House of Hannover in, say, 1744 (in the middle of the War of Austrian Succession, and before Culloden drives the last nail into Jacobitism's coffin), things would get very interesting, but I'm pushing the bounds of plausibility with my POD as things are.

Longer term, I also wonder what the effects of an Anglo-Prussian personal union would have on German unification. On one hand, the Anglo-Prussian union would be a considerably stronger power bloc than Prussia alone, especially if Frederick also managed to claim the Hannoverian throne over Charles Duke of Brunswick-Wonfenbüttel, but on the other hand the House of Hohenzollern would probably come to be seen by Germans as more British than German, especially if they reign primarily from London.

1. Frederick is the heir, I don't see the Church issue as an issue, King George II was Head of the Church of England, the Scottish Church (the Kirk)........
No he wasn't. The Head of the Kirk was and is the Moderator of the General Assembly. This is an elective position - not something a monarch can arrogate to himself...

What many people seem to forget is that the Church of England is at base Catholic. All Henry VIII did when he invented it was put himself in place of the Pope. The Scottish church, being Calvinist since the Reformation would have nothing to do with such Popish notions. In their view, Christ (and only Christ) was head of the Church.

No he wasn't. The Head of the Kirk was and is the Moderator of the General Assembly. This is an elective position - not something a monarch can arrogate to himself...

you're right but the Monarch is a full Member in the coronation of the British Monarch they sware to protect the Kirk and when in Scotland they act as a member of the Kirk