WI Erik the Red's Land remained part of Norway?

Hi!

This question has been in my head for a while now, and i decided to post it.

What if would be if Norway was allowed to keep Erik the Red's Land? In OTL Norway was forced to give the territory to Denmark in 1933.

There must be some way to make the Permanent Court of International Justice be a bit more friendly towards Norway, and thus allow them to keep this claimed territory.

So, what would be the butterflies coming with this? :)

Redbeard

Banned
Hi!

This question has been in my head for a while now, and i decided to post it.

What if would be if Norway was allowed to keep Erik the Red's Land? In OTL Norway was forced to give the territory to Denmark in 1933.

There must be some way to make the Permanent Court of International Justice be a bit more friendly towards Norway, and thus allow them to keep this claimed territory.

So, what would be the butterflies coming with this? :)

Come on!

Norway wasn't forced to give anything away, but spurred by silly nationalistic tones the Norwegian government in the interwar years tried to claim NE. Greenland. This of course was disputed by Denmark, who had ruled Greenland since early 18th century, and at the court at Haag Norway's claim was rejected. BTW the case had as a consequence, that Denmark since that has kept a military presence in NE Greenland (Sirius patrol), with specific orders to instantly shoot any Norwegians at sight - so far they have only met Polar bears though - who however are quite a lot more dangerous than Norwegians! ;)

IMHO a pitty we won the case at Haag. Had the Danish government been wise, they had gladly handed all of Greenland over to the Norwegians, or whoever would be stupid enough to take over that ice cold money drain.

BTW I once on another board made an ATL about Denmark and Norway going to war over E.Greenland - it was called "Clash of the Pixies!" :D

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Where is this land?

Sorry! I should've put a reference in my post! :eek: Thanks QuoProQuid!

And thanks for the information Redbeard!

Now, what if Denmark, as you suggested, did indeed grant all of Greenland to Norway?

Norway did have historical claims on the territory, and as you also stated, Greenland is very money-draining and useless. So i can see the Danish deciding to return it to Norway. :eek:

Would there come many butterflies with this? Would Norway, like Denmark in OTL, still control the territory today? And would it bring changes to the aftermath of the German invasion? :)

Redbeard

Banned
Sorry! I should've put a reference in my post! :eek: Thanks QuoProQuid!

And thanks for the information Redbeard!

Now, what if Denmark, as you suggested, did indeed grant all of Greenland to Norway?

Norway did have historical claims on the territory, and as you also stated, Greenland is very money-draining and useless. So i can see the Danish deciding to return it to Norway. :eek:

Would there come many butterflies with this? Would Norway, like Denmark in OTL, still control the territory today? And would it bring changes to the aftermath of the German invasion? :)

I'm afraid nationalistic tones would be as silly in Denmark, making this impossible. But perhaps if we imagine the interwar global crisis going a little extra tough on Denmark, and Norway, instead of pompously claiming the territory, offer to buy it - I could perhaps imagine a deal. After all USA peacefully purchased Virgin Islands in 1917 (25 million gold $ IIRC - enough to pay for 4 battleships! - USS Nevada cost 5,9 million $ - why didn't we insist on being paid in battleships? :( ).

If a deal was made about Greenland (and don't expect to pay in fish!) I think Norway would still be stuck on the icecube today, if WWII comes out like in OTL - i.e. with Norway an allied nation and in the western sphere of interest post war. In OTL USA was very close to annexing Greenland after April 1940, when Denmark appeared as a German vassal, but the Danish Ambassador in USA acting as a kind of de facto exile government probably prevented this (as well as post-war politics later did).

I don't think there would be any other significant PoDs, apart from Denmark being a little richer and Norway a little poorer...

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Redbeard

Banned
It'd be a sore point between Denmark and Norway, for sure.

If they would pay 25 million $ by 1930's I would love them for ever and feel compelled to give a big hug to every Norwegian I meet...not that I won't hug a Norwegian now, but I don't feel exactly compelled :D

Seriously, although the US purchase was much debated it had broad support in Denmark, a main point probably being that USA never went about like a Peacock claiming this and that. They in the best traditions of diplomacy made a very good offer and were very careful NOT stating the bloody obvious: That Denmark had absolutely no chance of defending the Virgin Islands and absolutely no gain from staying.

Although Denmark really couldn't defend Greenland, Norway could even less attack, so giving in to the high pitched and ill founded Norwegian claims would have been unacceptable loss of face. But with some tact and money, the Norwegians could have had all the ice they would have wanted...

...perhaps it already is a sore point, but I think we would still accept oil as payment. But don't wait too long, we're seriously researching other energy sources :p

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

If they would pay 25 million $ by 1930's I would love them for ever and feel compelled to give a big hug to every Norwegian I meet...not that I won't hug a Norwegian now, but I don't feel exactly compelled :D

Would the Norwegians actually be able to pay 25 million for it by 1930? I'm not sure exactly how hard Norway was hit by the depression, but it does seem quite some money during such a situation! :confused:

I'd second the world laughs at Norway thoughts. :D

Just imagine such a war today... 'you keep it!' 'nooo you keep it!'
But meh, back then nationalist sillyness was all the rage and exploration of the poles was just dying down, just look to German Antarctica (well...that admittedly was the Nazis but...yeah)