WI: England tries to pre-empt the American Revolution.

Which means that you're not doing alternate history, you're trying to litigate your OTL grievances about the past. History doesn't care whether you think the Americans were right or wrong.

But it does matter about finding a solution to the issue between the english and the colonies.

We've done this debate a dozen times. In every part of England, there were voters that would affect the composition of parliament, although not all men got the vote. In no part of the colonies were there any voters that could do this. You have made clear you consider this to be an identical situation, although I think you need to accept this is a very minority position.

I don't think I've ever said it wasn't a minority position. But the fact the majority of people think that somehow Englishmen are enjoying more representation than Americans when the system is set up so that "representation" has very little to do with democracy (in the sense of the power of the people) is important to understanding how the hell American representation in the sense of "Okay, Boston (or East Masschusetts or however you handle it) gets three MPs." could be part of this system.

But Canadians didn't pay the precise same taxes as Englishmen once given responsible government. Parliament got precisely nothing back from granting this, other than citizens that were happier and less likely to revolt in future. They get more here.
"Responsible government" isn't the problem. "All the benefits of being independent" are.

You can grant colonial authority over local affairs without making Parliament's control nominal.

Changes from 1763 onwards status quo isn't an analysis of what everyone "gets" out of the situation. It's just the changes. I'd also point out you use the post-7YW situation as the benchmark, rather than the previous two centuries. The step up in control after 7YW all involved the British taking more power and the colonists getting nothing in return.
Because the colonies were getting all the benefits of being part of the British Empire in exchange for very limited expectations of them paying taxes (the attempts to tighten control beyond that being in response to American recalcitrance, not the intent all along).

Aside from these changes. Britain gets huge amounts of economic benefit via trade with the colonies, and this would increase dramatically as America's population grew. They would also get huge amounts of manpower resources for the armed forces, if they were smart. I'd also say this is an odd way to conceive the situation. It's like saying that Britain now probably gets a net negative out of North East England so they should just let it go.
It gets economic benefit by trading with them as independent, too. Huge amounts of manpower resources? Obviously this is dependent on population growth, but in this period, we have 2-3 million Americans (counting slaves) vs. (according to this: http://www.thepotteries.org/dates/census.htm) 6.4 million in Great Britain.

It's nice to be sure, but it doesn't mean all that much now (the 1760s and 1770s).

I meant Spanish and French colonies actually. In fact, I don't even mean "free trade", just that they're allowed to trade at all.
Well, I'm using free trade in the sense of trading freely - there's no need for special permits or something. Sloppy wording, I suppose.

And that's a gain to be sure.

I would imagine the creation of new colonies would be decided by parliament, as previously. Although this would be a case where the American MPs would obviously be given a good hearing on what was best for the situation.
Gotcha.

How do you know that Boston gets its own representatives, rather than, say, being part of Eastern Massachussetts constituency? That would be the same position as Sheffield being part of Yorkshire constituency.
Still leaves telling Sheffield that the Americans get representatives, it has to trust that Yorkshire MPs care.

That said, I imagine the situation would cause more debate about electoral reform at home, which was put off by several decades due to the authoritarian reaction to the American and French revolutions. That's a good thing for Britain.
Speaking as someone who believes if you're going to do democracy at all you should do it properly, I agree. But I don't see that being seen as a good by the powers that be, and not because they want to make the people ignored entirely.

The first lot you say, "well that's why domestic matters are devolved". The last lot you ignore, as they will be a tiny ranting minority.
No more than it a was a tiny, ranting minority portraying British behavior OTL as something Neroesque.

Since those are the people who have to be - okay, silenced has bad connotations, so forgive me for being short of words here - I'm not sure just ignoring them is enough.

I imagine the shitstorm that would occur if they tried it, and other colonies would not be sympathetic to the one trying to upset the situation. In reality, there aren't limits on a bunch of this stuff on either side (e.g. what's to stop parliament simply ignoring the American MPs). You can't form a political agreement without some good faith on each side.
It's not even about good faith. It's "In case someone breaks this agreement, then what?"

What are the penalties for failing to adhere to the contract?

That does need to be hammered out, at least in a rough form. Laws need consequences for being broken. And this one is the one with the weakest element there.

The issue would be that some colonies (or indeed, even individual colonists) could suddenly face huge expense over a troop build up. It's more reasonable that everyone pays more than they would otherwise into imperial coffers, which then pays out for troops costs, to stop volatility in costs hitting the colonies.
And is volatility in costs not hitting say, Yorkshire, the case for a build up there?

As below, I don't want to see the colonies especially squeezed, but they shouldn't be better off than other Englishmen in the same situation.

I believe they were done in a few locations, such as Kingston in Jamaica. But where you were tried wouldn't relate to where the crime was. More where you were when the court was announced.
But in general, the situation the colonies are getting is the rule, not the exception?

Yet it would stop the confiscation of weapons, which was the event that kicked off the revolution.
Given the context that happened in, I suspect that it would happen if that happened anyway.

Pretty sure that planning to use arms for rebellion (the pretext) is going to be seen as something to interfere with.

But otherwise, yes. And I suspect that protection will be taken well by most Americans.

mrmandias: I'm trying to address what lead to the American Revolution. That requires addressing who did what and why.

I'm definitely convinced the Belizean solution is the correct one now Elfwine! I bet that would shake the b*ggers!

Probably leave the American colonies as 13 different sovereign states. Now that would confuse the westward expansion. Would post Belize new western states be sovereign or colonies or extensions of their eastern existing states? Now there is a recipe for American wars as they fight it out for territory in the west.

But it does matter about finding a solution to the issue between the english and the colonies.

Not particularly. The rights and wrongs of the situation in the abstract don't matter that much, its the actual institutional interests and ideologies of the time that matter. The American believe what they believe, and saying they were wrong to believe it may be true or false but its mostly irrelevant.

Not particularly. The rights and wrongs of the situation in the abstract don't matter that much, its the actual institutional interests and ideologies of the time that matter. The American believe what they believe, and saying they were wrong to believe it may be true or false but its mostly irrelevant.

Yes but finding what the actual problems are (and thus a way to fix it that will appeal to both sides). My idea for a general solution is for the abolition of the rotten bouroughs and the establishment of a general reform extending the representation of Britain to include both the colonies and to places that receive little to none in Britain.

Yes but finding what the actual problems are (and thus a way to fix it that will appeal to both sides). My idea for a general solution is for the abolition of the rotten bouroughs and the establishment of a general reform extending the representation of Britain to include both the colonies and to places that receive little to none in Britain.

Pretty radical, but theoretically an adequate solution.

There is an American assumption that Britain wanted to keep the American colonies almost out of spite. If there was no profit in it (and there was none) then Britain still felt it had a duty of support to it's loyal subjects who demonstrated their loyal support for their King and country by taking up arms to defend themselves and defeat the forces of insurrection.

Concepts of duty and loyalty were taken seriously in those days and loyal Americans who answered the call of King and country were intimidated and persecuted for doing no more than was their duty at the time.

Just so.

I would imagine the creation of new colonies would be decided by parliament, as previously

That is not law in 18C. The prerogative of incorporation lies entirely in the King in Council. Refer Blackstones Commentaries Book 1 Part 2.