WI: Elvis doesn't become a lounge singer?

OTL, Elvis agreed to do a lot of dates in Vegas. That's been blamed for him getting hooked on drugs: uppers to get going in the morning, downers to get to sleep. It also put a crimp in his career by limiting opportunities for recording & touring. (It may have, in some sense, led to over-exposure.)

Suppose he'd never agreed to do Vegas dates at all? Or, at least, far fewer? Would he have lived longer? Would he have been able to have later hits, or was he past his prime?

Elvis continued to chart hits well through 1970. In 1972, he released "Burning Love" just when fifties retro came began to emerge. Then, we heard little from him as disco became the fad. Of course, he didn't live very long after that. I think his style had run its course: fifties rock changed the direction of music and when he finished his army tour, followed trends with a slower style. The late sixties brought out a more balladeer style with a social comment song like "In the Ghetto." I don't think Vegas hurt him; in that period, music changed rapidly enough that it was difficult to remain popular for more than about six years without changing.

Elvis lasted 20 years mostly on the top, while he may have been able to continue with success, I personally think he was on the way down, as such I think his death at that point was what carved his legacy into popular culture, instead of him just growing increasingly irrelevant.

marathag

Banned
Elvis continued to chart hits well through 1970. In 1972, he released "Burning Love" just when fifties retro came began to emerge. Then, we heard little from him as disco became the fad

You had the growth of Blues Rock, southern Rock, and Rock&Roll Ballads during the '70s. He could have stayed on that, never needing to touch Disco

I do see Elvis going into Blues Rock or Country Rock, if not pure C/W. If it actually made money, he'd readily do Gospel, too. Maybe Soul?

Eh, he probably has a fine life after disco and the 80s among fans who want to see him live in the 90s. And people will pay ridiculous sums for such a privilege.

Disco literally died in 1979. By 1981, country rock became more popular, as did pop new wave (punk rock without violent theatrics). There may have been room for a new Elvis around 1982. But then again, complex band sounds dominated, while the popularity of Elvis was very centered around his voice.

I wonder if MTV could have helped revive his career. People forget that in the early days of MTV, they still did play some lighter music and videos by "older" artists (especially since they had a limited number of "new" videos to play), it wasnt just new wave and hard rock 24/7.

Had he been able to revive his acting career, I can see him doing movies like Dirty Harry, maybe even a TV police drama
I could see continuing movies, but no way in hell anything like "Dirty Harry". The violence, & the unethical behavior, I'd say would be completely contrary to his ethical views. (I hesitate to say "religious", but that might be it.)

As for a TV cop show? In this era, he'd have been too big a star. Guest spot on "McLeod" or something, maybe. TVM?

A long shot, but what about the driver in "Duel", instead of Dennis Weaver? (Kind of small potatoes, but...)

Elvis passed on just as John Travolta launched his acting career on the dance floor. He danced to the Bee Gees in Saturday Night Fever, sang in Grease and Elvis would have been a natural in Urban Cowboy had he lived. After all, the early eighties saw pop music divide between punk and country rock.

I could see continuing movies, but no way in hell anything like "Dirty Harry". The violence, & the unethical behavior, I'd say would be completely contrary to his ethical views. (I hesitate to say "religious", but that might be it.)

As for a TV cop show? In this era, he'd have been too big a star. Guest spot on "McLeod" or something, maybe. TVM?

A long shot, but what about the driver in "Duel", instead of Dennis Weaver? (Kind of small potatoes, but...)

Elvis was definitely religious. No need to hesitate.

A thought I've had: how about the role of the police chief in Jaws?

If he had lived, maybe he could have been the narrator for the Dukes of Hazzard, though hopefully Waylon still does the theme music.