WI: Edward Longshanks dies in 1259, brother against brother, Plantagenet Germany?

This is basically a convoluted attempt to make the Plantagenets a permanent fixture in Germany, but here goes:

Henry III and Prince Edward (the future Edward I Longshanks, Malleus Scotorum, etc.) were on extremely bad terms by the end of 1259, with Edward taking the side of barons and acting insubordinate when Henry left for France. Henry was paranoid of Edward, even suspecting that Edward would launch a coup. In OTL, father and son were reconciled and both fought the barons, along with Henry III's younger brother, Richard, Earl of Cornwall and King of Germany, who helped mediate.

But what if Edward died under dubious circumstances in November 1259 before Henry returned from France and Richard could intervene? Edward's younger brother, Edmund Crouchback, would be next in line but he was only 14 at the time. If there was enough doubt to cast suspicion on Henry, I would imagine that Richard would be horrified enough at the filicide to turn against Henry III.

Could Richard have attempted to force Henry to abdicate in favour of Edmund (with himself as regent, natch), and could he realistically attempted to call upon any allies in Germany? Would a three-way civil war have broken out across the continent (Henry and the Lusignans in France, the Barons and Edmund in England, Richard in Germany - I don't actually know his whereabouts at the time)?

If so, how long could Plantagenet Germany hope to last? Could the Habsburgs be butterflied away entirely?

Richard was backed by the pro-papal particularist princes that wished a King/Emperor that would respect their liberties and privileges, so if Richard wants their support to an adventure in England he's out of luck.

Richard was backed by the pro-papal particularist princes that wished a King/Emperor that would respect their liberties and privileges, so if Richard wants their support to an adventure in England he's out of luck.
I don't suppose he could milk the moral outrage and, say, get Pope Alexander IV to excommunicate Henry III to further undermine him? It's not as though they were on particularly good terms given the Sicily business, though...

Red Orm

Banned
I don't suppose he could milk the moral outrage and, say, get Pope Alexander IV to excommunicate Henry III to further undermine him? It's not as though they were on particularly good terms given the Sicily business, though...

Sure, that could happen. It'll have little effect though. The German princes barely bothered to fight their own king when he was excommunicated, let alone some dude half the continent and a sea away.

Sure, that could happen. It'll have little effect though. The German princes barely bothered to fight their own king when he was excommunicated, let alone some dude half the continent and a sea away.
Hm, fair enough.

I don't suppose Richard could hold his nose long enough to side with Simon de Montfort, then? That's just taking it further and further away from the whole "Plantagenet Germany" aim, though...