WI: Eddie Van Halen joined Kiss?

Heavy

Banned
Gene Simmons likes to remark that he discovered Van Halen (and that they still owe them the money he fronted them to record their first demos). Indeed, when he came across the Van Halen in 1976, he attempted to convince Eddie Van Halen to leave the group and join his own band instead, but the guitarist refused.

A few years later, Van Halen were nationally famous but the notorious bad blood between Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth was at a boiling point, precipitated by an intense disagreement over the darker sound of 1981's Fair Warning album. Concurrently, Ace Frehley and Peter Criss had just deparated Kiss; Eric Carr had already taken Criss's place on the drum stool, but they had yet to find a replacement lead guitarist.

During the recording of Kiss's Creatures Of the Night album, Eddie Van Halen approached Gene Simmons and asked to join his band, but Simmons and Alex Van Halen were able to persuade him to stick with Van Halen. Kiss would subsequently (and briefly) recruit Vinnie Vincent, who had co-written some of the songs on Creatures Of the Night as their new lead guitarist.

What if Simmons had accepted Eddie's offer, or Alex hadn't been able to convince his brother not to quit? What would have happened to Van Halen? What would have happened to Kiss? Indeed, what would have happened to hard rock in general?

My assumption is that Eddie wouldn't last long in Kiss; his ego is infamous and it seems unlikely that there'd be room for it in a band that already has two forceful personalities in Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley. Consider that Vinnie Vincent didn't last long either; among other things, Stanley complained that his flashy guitar playing was stealing the rest of the band's thunder. I wouldn't be surprised if the same accusations landed on Eddie.

As for Van Halen, the question is whether they can justify keeping it going without one of their two big draws (Eddie's guitar playing and Diamond Dave's capering). Would Roth even stick around or would he try to strike out on his own four years earlier? Would Van Halen continue with Alex as its leader, even under a different name? If it did, who would they conceivably select to replace their departing guitarist and front man?

Eddie Van Halen's ego definitely would have clashed with Gene's. I can see KISS releasing a pretty solid album though... though they'd break apart on tour. Was he drinking heavily back then? That wouldn't go down well with the KISS camp.

Diamond Dave probably would have dived straight into a solo Hard Rock album. This butterflies away the Longue stylings of Crazy From The Heat (at least temporarily). I reckon Michael Anthony may have stuck around with him too (though Billy Sheehan was being considered by EVH at that time - maybe DLR would pick him instead?).

I can see Alex Van Halen joining an array of supergroups i.e. Damn Yankees, Vinnie Vincent Invasion. It's a longshot but I don't see him forming a band of his own without Eddie.

Gene Simmons and Eddie Van Halen in the same band is a great WI simply because of how spectacular the flame out would be. It's correct that it would result in a good studio album. But once they are out on the road with all the temptations and tensions that brings it would be Spinal Tap x 1000 with a massive war of egos to boot.

Kiss would have put out a pop rock album, and so would the remnants of Van Halen. Pretty much same as OTL, except the sounds would have been different.

Heavy

Banned
I can see Alex Van Halen joining an array of supergroups i.e. Damn Yankees, Vinnie Vincent Invasion. It's a longshot but I don't see him forming a band of his own without Eddie.

Yes, I could imagine him joining Mr. Big instead of Pat Torpey (though if Roth goes solo earlier and still recruits Sheehan as his bass guitarist, there's every possibility that Mr. Big wouldn't come into being).

I imagine the KISS album with EVH would be a heavier Creatures of the Night. I know they worked with Bob Ezrin and Destroyer was branching out musically, but would they really embrace EVH's music ideas or would he be the guitarist equivalent of Izzy in Rock Star?

Heavy

Banned
I imagine the KISS album with EVH would be a heavier Creatures of the Night. I know they worked with Bob Ezrin and Destroyer was branching out musically, but would they really embrace EVH's music ideas or would he be the guitarist equivalent of Izzy in Rock Star?

He probably would've ended up in the same position as Billy Crudup's character in Almost Famous pretty quickly.

If KISS implodes with EVH would they simply replace him? It's a pretty tall order... call me crazy but wouldn't it be awesome if they dipped into the 80's Glam scene and came up with Jake E Lee?

Or imagine if they got Zakk Wylde for Revenge? If they could lure him away from Ozzy though...

I can see a VH reunion in the 90's though DLR would be the star and not EVH. Still a battle of egos though. And Van Halen III would probably be a solo album.

(I'm a fan of VH III!).

Heavy

Banned
If KISS implodes with EVH would they simply replace him? It's a pretty tall order... call me crazy but wouldn't it be awesome if they dipped into the 80's Glam scene and came up with Jake E Lee?

They'd probably get somebody like Steve Lynch from Autograph, depending on when they would split with EVH.

Could you imagine if Jennifer Batten was a member of Kiss?

Hey hey! Leave Steve Lynch alone! Autograph's debut is brilliant.

Hmm... if the butterflies are big enough then maybe KISS will be more successful in this ATL? Maybe they become one of the big stars of 80's Metal which may be kinder on the bands who had little success. They certainly had the image and Gene's marketing skills would have put them on the cover of every magazine.

Which means Bon Jovi, GN'R, Poison, Crue and RATT will have extra competition.

Hmm for DLR's solo band.. what if he was able to snap up a pre-Alice Cooper Kane Roberts and Kip Winger? It's possible in this TL.

Heavy

Banned
Hey hey! Leave Steve Lynch alone! Autograph's debut is brilliant.

I think all three of Autograph's albums were good, though Sign In Please is probably the best.

Hmm... if the butterflies are big enough then maybe KISS will be more successful in this ATL? Maybe they become one of the big stars of 80's Metal which may be kinder on the bands who had little success. They certainly had the image and Gene's marketing skills would have put them on the cover of every magazine.

The first such Simmons-mentored band that comes to mind is House Of Lords, which was founded by Gregg Giuffria after his previous group (Giuffria) broke up in 1986. Fronted by James Christian, they're best known for the minor hit "I Wanna Be Loved" (co-written by Mayday frontman Steve Johnstad).