WI: Earlier Neapolitan Independence

The recent discussion about the Iberian Union started me thinking about the 17th century Spanish Empire. Contemporaneous to the Portuguese revolt there were revolts in Catalonia and Naples each with varying degrees of Spanish support as part of the ongoing Franco-Spanish War. So would it have been possible for Naples to break away from Spain mid-century a la Portugal?

Naples revolted several times at one point briefly kicking out the Spanish and declaring a Royal Neapolitan Republic in 1647 and inviting the Duke of Guise to lead them. The Spanish of course suppressed this revolt but Naples remained restless. The French attempted expeditions later on, such as 1654 when they contemplated putting Christina of Sweden on the Spanish throne. But after the Peace of the Pyrenees French support dried up and Naples remained under Spanish control until Spanish Italy was dismembered during the War of Spanish Succession.

So is it possible for Naples to break away under a pro-French ruler during this period? I would think the Duke of Guise would be better as he's actually an heir of the House of Anjou and more importantly he would insure an independent line of Kings where as Christina was to pass Naples to the Dauphin and thus to France on her death. Though neither of them seem like they would be stellar rulers. So perhaps if a better candidate was found, one who could rally Neapolitans to his/her banner, the chances of success would increase.

I suppose it would also require greater nationalism on the part of the feudal nobility and stronger anti-Spanish sentiment that could sustain a long independence struggle and survive without being dependent upon the French. I think Papal recognition would also play a role as Naples is not only in Italy but is still de jure a fief held of the Pope. Is that enough? And what would the effects be? Faster decline of Spain in the back half of the century? More independent, less hegemonic (Spanish then Austrian OTL) domination of Italy? Any thoughts?

It would be possible for Naples to break away from Spain in the same manner Portugal did in the 17th century, but it would be difficult. First, you need a local Neapolitan noble with enough influence and political acumen to lead a revolt. An important reason why the revolt of Portugal was so successful in OTL was the fact that it was led by the Duke of Braganza, a native prince whose claim to the throne was acknowledged by the other Portuguese nobles. Naples would need a native prince to lead them, but I don’t know of anyone available in 1648. Henry II, Duke of Guise, was not a native prince nor did he have the necessary skills needed to lead a rebellion.

Second, Naples would need a permanent alliance with France in order to both win and maintain their independence. France would undoubtedly want whomever they put on the throne of Naples to marry a French princess and follow French foreign policy. Papal recognition of a king would naturally benefit a regime in Naples and the pope always looked for ways to maintain the balance of power between Spain and France. If Naples is a French satellite, then I can see Louis XIV focusing on taking Milan in future wars with Spain, thus giving France the hegemony of Italy.