Saving Diana's marriage to Charles is pretty much ASB, let's face it, since it would pretty much require one or both of them to be fundamentally different people. But saving her life - as well as that of Dodi Fayed - is a different story.

What if the infamous car crash that killed them hadn't happened?

Well then I wouldn’t have to put up with hearing about the conspiracy theory every time I am in a cab in Paris...

Diana ages and the tabloid media take less and less interest. She probably dissapears off the radar until she gets an invite to the Cambridges' wedding.

Well then I wouldn’t have to put up with hearing about the conspiracy theory every time I am in a cab in Paris...

Paris cab drivers follow the church of Our Lady of Windsor? I thought she was mainly the patron saint of tabloid headline writers, based on how many of the covers proclaim either Kate or Meghan to be her successor. And the disfavored royal wife is accused of selling her relics such as dresses. . .

Much wouldn't change. Diana wouldn't be seen as such saint as in OTL. Probably she would marry Dodi and convert to Islam. She basically will be pretty out of publicity and would appear only during her son's marriages. Prince Harry wouldn't be tramatised over his mother's death and probably wouldnd't develope his drug abuse problems, some level hatrer towards media and might be more intrested on royal duties so he wouldn't leave BRF.

Not sure if in that scenario Charles would be allowed marry Camilla. If does Camilla might be slightly more popular.

I dont think the cab drivers really care about Diana but they are all into how Dodi was killed because he was sleeping with Di. And in London I ran across a bunch of folks claiming when Dodd’s father pushed the theory he was kicked out of England. I heard that at a very famous department store in London.
As for Di she would slowly fade from view. And would be seen mostly when things like the big weddings of her kids come up.

I used to have a British neighbor. He seemed pretty convinced that when the boys were older she would have eventually moved to the US. His theory was that she would either get her own talk show or at least be a regular on the talk show circuit.

Preach. If I never hear "Diana" and "MI6" in the same sentence ever again, it'll be too soon.

I'm embarrassed to say that one of my sisters buys into that nonsense. She also believes that Harry is a product of Diana and the British Army officer who was her bodyguard and me pointing out that he didn't become her bodyguard until well after Harry was born did not seem to convince her much.

I'm embarrassed to say that one of my sisters buys into that nonsense. She also believes that Harry is a product of Diana and the British Army officer who was her bodyguard and me pointing out that he didn't become her bodyguard until well after Harry was born did not seem to convince her much.
Well, if it's any consolation, we don't get to choose our relatives.

SsgtC

Banned
You have my sympathies. Dealing with family that believe in conspiracy theories is hell. Because you can be as blunt with them as you would like

What if the infamous car crash that killed them hadn't happened?
Or the chauffeur, Henri Paul, doesn't try to break his own speeding record or Diana and Dodi do what they're supposed to in a car and buckle up.
I'm embarrassed to say that one of my sisters buys into that nonsense. ...
You have my sympathies. Dealing with family that believe in conspiracy theories is hell. Because you can be as blunt with them as you would like
I had a co-worker back then who also did. And believe it or not, we had a manager's assistant named Diana, who happened to be visiting our company's headquarters in Paris during the last week of August 1997, so when I went to work on August 31st and the first thing I heard was said colleague asking me "Have you heard that Diana has died in Paris last night?" I thought she was referring to our manager's assistant. (I hadn't caught the news that morning because I just had a CD-changer radio installed in my car and preferred listening to my own music on my way to work.)

'Our' Diana was of course perfectly alright, but my co-worker kept on pestering me, there had to be something rotten about the circumstances of Lady Di's death. I was then in Paris a mere 3 weeks later myself and out of curiosity decided to follow the exact route Henri Paul had taken from the Paris Ritz Hotel to the Pont de l'Alma tunnel, at the same time as he did, a little after midnight, just to check how long it would take me, while obeying all speed limits, and it was nearly 3 times as long as the car Diana and Dodi were in. This pretty much debunked any cooked up theories about 3rd person interference for me, and when my co-worker started all over again, I told her so.

Last edited:
Considering how much she hated the paparazzi, I can't say she'd be too upset at that prospect.

For someone who claimed to hate the parazzi, it was amazing how she would phone the national press picture desks every morning to let them know where to get the best shots during the upcoming week...

Live by the sword, die by the sword and all that.

I used to have a British neighbor. He seemed pretty convinced that when the boys were older she would have eventually moved to the US. His theory was that she would either get her own talk show or at least be a regular on the talk show circuit.
That's an interesting concept. Probably she'd wind up in (where else?) southern California, with a pied à terre in New York. Guessing she might wind up marrying a fairly major sports star (she and Dan Marino were both born in 1961, as an example). In time, the British accent might well fade. By now, approaching age 60, she might well be mostly out of the limelight, popping up now and then on "whatever happened to...?" programs.