In 1990 David Duke ran for us senate in Louisiana losing to incumbent J Bennett Johnston by around 10%. What if Duke won, for whatever reason be it a scandal targetting Johnston, Better campaigning or something else? How would us politics and in particular The republican party Be affected by having a klansman be elected into The senate in 90s? Would he win re-election or higher office? Discuss below.

Depending on how he does, it could easily affect high profile law cases like OJ Simpson's. This would then impact upon his chances of re-election.

Depending on how he does, it could easily affect high profile law cases like OJ Simpson's. This would then impact upon his chances of re-election.

How do you see this affecting court cases such as OJ? Maybe if Duke was elected mayor of LA, that could provide further evidence for Cochran's argument that the LAPD is racist. But on a national level, I'm not quite following you.

I see Duke, being Duke, ending up censured rather early in his term for doing something controversial. I'm sure Duke would do whatever he could to attract national attention to himself, and the national GOP would most likely do their best to punish him, lest they be seen as coddling a klansman. I don't see him winning reelection.

However, I could see Duke making a run for the white house in '92 if Buchanan doesn't run for some reason, or '96 if he doesn't run for reelection in Louisiana. He would absolutely not win the nomination, but the prospect of a Clinton v. Duke race is kind of entertaining to think about. It would absolutely destroy the GOP in the short term if that was the case, though I believe that's ASB.

I see Duke, being Duke, ending up censured rather early in his term for doing something controversial. I'm sure Duke would do whatever he could to attract national attention to himself, and the national GOP would most likely do their best to punish him, lest they be seen as coddling a klansman. I don't see him winning reelection.

However, I could see Duke making a run for the white house in '92 if Buchanan doesn't run for some reason, or '96 if he doesn't run for reelection in Louisiana. He would absolutely not win the nomination, but the prospect of a Clinton v. Duke race is kind of entertaining to think about. It would absolutely destroy the GOP in the short term if that was the case, though I believe that's ASB.

Adolf actually did run for president in 1992. He was a nonfactor.

One way to get him in is Louisiana's election system (jungle primary, top two candidates to a runoff regardless of party unless someone gets 50%).

Have a large field of GOP candidates challenge Bennett Johnston in 1990 or John Breaux in 1992 and have Duke squeeze into the runoff. Then the incumbent dies and Duke wins by default.

I doubt Duke would get far before endorsing Pat Buchanan, whose chances would become infinitely worse after receiving his support.

I doubt Duke would get far before endorsing Pat Buchanan, whose chances would become infinitely worse after receiving his support.
Oh absolutely, I don't either. I agree Duke's endorsement would wreck Buchanan, a klansman has no base of support in America beyond a small percentage, and literally everyone else hates them, so Duke would most likely get nowhere.

Rivercat893

Banned
If Duke does narrowly win the 1992 Louisiana gubernatorial election I expect a lot of backlash from not just the Democrats but the Republicans as well. The fact that he was a Klansman and an American Nazi definitely doesn't help his chances of winning a Senate seat. He would last for just one term before being booted out by a more popular contender. The only real way he could have gained some mainstream respectability is if he had given up his Klan/Nazi ways and became a Buchanan-style paleoconservative.