WI Crimean Khanate destroyed in 17th century

The trouble with sieges is the only issue I can agree on, but only because the polish-lithuanian army was focused mostly on cavalry.
You may agree or disagree with whatever you wish. In OTL the PLC armies had problems even with operating in Moldavia and did not risk any serious campaign against the Crimea.

The mentioned by you siege of Pskov, while itself problematic, didn't prevent Batory from waging the war on the hostile territory. And in this case the supplies can be delivered simply through the Dnieper River with czaikas.

Yeah, sure. These boats would be extremely useful while marching across the waterless steppe.
Ill-organised army? How so?
An army most of which was raised on the ad-hoc basis (you can easily find out the size of the standing PLC army) was not as well organized as the regular army of the 1730s. This applies both to the army itself and to organization of its baggage train.

And as for the mutual dislike, the PLC had no trouble with using the Cossacks back in 1621 during the Khotyn campaign.
Wladislav was planning to raise a much greater Cossack army and the cadres for such an army could come only from the same source as for Khmelnitsky’s armies: serfs fleeing from their Polish masters. As for the rest, surely the nobility killed the project not out of the excessive love to the Cossacks.

You may agree or disagree with whatever you wish.
You know, in case of sieges, Batory didn't even want to capture Pskov in the first place. The whole point of his campaign was to simply cut off the russian forces in Livonia. After he succeeded in that and achieved his goals, he just went back home, so it's a poor example. As for Smolensk, Sigismund was simply an idiot. Not just in sieges, but also in an open field, like when he decided to personally lead the polish-lithuanian forces against Gustav II Adolf in the battle of Gniew, before he realised that it would be better to give the command to a much more skilled Stanisław Koniecpolski.

Yeah, sure. These boats would be extremely useful while marching across the waterless steppe.
Check out basic geography to realise in which direction the Dnieper River is going.

Wladislav was planning to raise a much greater Cossack army and the cadres for such an army could come only from the same source as for Khmelnitsky’s armies: serfs fleeing from their Polish masters.
Are we talking about the military campaign, or is this another "Poles bad"?

You know, in case of sieges, Batory didn't even want to capture Pskov in the first place.

No kidding. He was storming the city just for the fun of it. Three assaults (September 8, October 24, November 2), mining of the walls, massive bombardment hardly support your statement.
The whole point of his campaign was to simply cut off the russian forces in Livonia.

And the military council was almost unanimous that this can b achieved by capture of Pskov.

After he succeeded in that and achieved his goals, he just went back home, so it's a poor example.
He went home when the siege failed and he run out of money.

As for Smolensk, Sigismund was simply an idiot.
Does the same apply to his generals as well? Including Stanisław Żółkiewski who was in charge?

Check out basic geography to realise in which direction the Dnieper River is going.

Check the basic geography to realise where the Crimea and Perekop are located.

Did I say this?

Last edited:
More like... if Bernadotte lost his position in France, and decided to regain it by pushing the Swedes into wars against France.
Was he a king of France? Or did he use the Swedes to became, again, a marshal of the French Empire? Your analogies are rather “creative”.

Last edited:
The one with the Poland Hungary blob abomination? Or am I thinking of the wrong guy?

Well, the one who had Poland-Hungary was named Louis, Sigismund (not that Sigismund, he was that Sigismund great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandad) was his son-in-law,but he only managed to become King of Hungary.

In charge, but not uncontested.

Does not speak well about the besuegers.
Anyway, Twenty years later Russians spent 9 months besieging Smolensk, and didnt capture it eventually
Yes, but this is not a relevant argument: the subject was Polish siegecraft, not Russian, which was undeniably quite low at that time and continued to be so all the way to the early stages of the GNW. Not that the Russian field tactics at that time was effective either. And the field commander, Shein, while being a good in defense (he was in charge when Sigizmund besieged the city) was quite inept as a field commander.

Actually, in the case you mentioned, the siege ended as a catastrophe for Tsardom’s army due to the actions of the Polish field army. Sigizmund did not have this issue because the main Russian forces had been staying passive well away from Smolemsk.

How does any of the above promotes the scenario of Wladislav's army easily taking the Ottoman fortresses? BTW, in 1618 Wladislav failed to take ill-defended Moscow while having Chodkiewicz and Sahaidachny as the generals. Which was as good as it gets.

Play the Ball.

Not going to simply ask you again.
Sorry, usually I’m quite willing to acknowledge when I wrote something potentially offensive but this time I don’t see what caused your remark. The statement that I commented upon was, factually, a very confusing analogy which did not make any sense to me: Bernadotte asking Swedes to restore his position in France. Can you explain its meaning? I could not. That’s why I found it “creative”. What’s wrong with that?

But his “Check out basic geography to realise in which direction the Dnieper River is going.” was plain impolite, to put it mildly, and you found it OK.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Sorry, usually I’m quite willing to acknowledge when I wrote something potentially offensive but this time I don’t see what caused your remark. The statement that I commented upon was, factually, a very confusing analogy which did not make any sense to me: Bernadotte asking Swedes to restore his position in France. Can you explain its meaning? I could not. That’s why I found it “creative”. What’s wrong with that?

But his “Check out basic geography to realise in which direction the Dnieper River is going.” was plain impolite, to put it mildly, and you found it OK.
If you think someone broke the rules you hit the report button. You do NOT double down.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
You know, in case of sieges, Batory didn't even want to capture Pskov in the first place. The whole point of his campaign was to simply cut off the russian forces in Livonia. After he succeeded in that and achieved his goals, he just went back home, so it's a poor example. As for Smolensk, Sigismund was simply an idiot. Not just in sieges, but also in an open field, like when he decided to personally lead the polish-lithuanian forces against Gustav II Adolf in the battle of Gniew, before he realised that it would be better to give the command to a much more skilled Stanisław Koniecpolski.

Play the Ball.

Have you really not seen the word "if"? If Bernadotte pushed the Swedes into wars against France, it would be like when Sigismund III Vasa pushed the PLC into wars against Sweden. Aluma asked for historical context, so I provided it. And I find as odd that you mock me alone for expanding someone else's comparison.