WI: China adopted Latin alphabet?

OK, so I've been reading here for several years, but in posting terms I'm so green the sap is still flowing. N00b in spades. In researching the history of the printing press, one point came up repeatedly in reference to its invention in China -- the tens of thousands of characters in written Chinese severely hampered the usage of printing. The Chinese didn't develop the "press" per se but instead used block printing techniques after laboriously carving hundreds and thousands of blocks of individual Chinese characters.

So what if (OK I'm cringing here) Chinese traders or even a diplomatic delegation including a minor member of the royal family followed the Silk Route all the way to Rome in the First Century BCE and stayed for several years -- a reverse Marco Polo expedition, if you will. There's plenty of precedent for this. As early as 130 BCE the Han Dynasty was sending embassies as far as Parthia and then Syria, and Chinese silk was extremely popular in Rome in the First Century BCE, although most trade was through intermediaries.

While in Rome the Chinese delegates learn the simplicity and usefulness of the Latin alphabet and adapt it to Chinese. (And perhaps in return some smart Roman sees the applicability of individual letter blocks, but that's another what if.) The delegation returns to China, carrying the secret of phonetic spelling with them, and introduces it to the Han court. Although paper is generally stated to have been invented around 105 CE, there is ample evidence that hemp paper was being produced in Gansu province as early as 100 BCE, during the reign of Emperor Wu.

The introduction of the printed word revolutionized Europe after Guttenburg. Among other things, it slowly eliminated Latin as the language of the elite and led to a rapid increase in both literacy and the use of vernacular languages in books, especially the Bible. What would be its impact in China?

Maybe a more likely alternative is they adopt Hiragana/Katakana or Hangul or (probally most likely of all) make some local version of one of those?

ASB. I could see some of the regionalects using variants of the Latin alphabet (i.e. POJ), but as for Chinese proper it would make more sense to standardize characters as a syllabary or creating phonetic symbols accompanying characters akin to bopomofo or both.

More likely they would have adopted Classic Mongol/Manchu or Phags-pa (although neither of those is suited to writing in Chinese) or some variant of an Indic script, during or after the Yuan dynasty.

Although it's pretty much ASB as the main reason they didn't is because the literati were pretty well entrenched in China, and the Chinese script has thousands of years of prestige behind it.

Possibly they could develop their own syllabary like the Japanese kana scripts, or something like the modern Yi script (which has about 800 characters)

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
ASB. I could see some of the regionalects using variants of the Latin alphabet (i.e. POJ), but as for Chinese proper it would make more sense to standardize characters as a syllabary or creating phonetic symbols accompanying characters akin to bopomofo or both.

Isn't Bopomo Mandarin what he is describing? They may as well use the indian number system and get the best of both worlds.

800px-Keyboard_layout_Zhuyin.svg.png

Isn't Bopomo Mandarin what he is describing?

No, I think he's thinking of something akin to Vietnamese. For example, here's Wiki's version of the "Vietnamese language" article, in Vietnamese:

Wiki said:
Tiếng Việt, hay Việt ngữ[2], là ngôn ngữ của người Việt (người Kinh) và là ngôn ngữ chính thức tại Việt Nam. Đây là tiếng mẹ đẻ của khoảng 85% dân cư Việt Nam, cùng với gần ba triệu Việt kiều ở hải ngoại, mà phần lớn là người Mỹ gốc Việt. Tiếng Việt còn là ngôn ngữ thứ hai của các dân tộc thiểu số tại Việt Nam. Mặc dù tiếng Việt có một số từ vựng vay mượn từ tiếng Hán và trước đây dùng chữ Hán để viết, sau đó được cải biên thành chữ Nôm, tiếng Việt được coi là một trong số các ngôn ngữ thuộc hệ ngôn ngữ Nam Á có số người nói nhiều nhất (nhiều hơn một số lần so với các ngôn ngữ khác cùng hệ cộng lại). Ngày nay tiếng Việt dùng bảng chữ cái Latinh, gọi là chữ Quốc Ngữ, cùng các dấu thanh để viết.

I bolded the last sentence because I think it is something akin to Quốc Ngữ that the OP wants, which is heavily based on Italian and Portuguese orthography, which is largely impossible for Classical Chinese. Vernacular Chinese (báihuà), however, I could see - hence Pinyin. Regardless, something has to be done regarding characters, which would involve some form of standardization.

I think the most you'll ever see is the use of zhuyin or tone-specific symbols as a shorthand form of writing, but not to replace characters entirely. Hanzi are too culturally important (they are what keep the dialects together) to be done away with entirely.

I have always wondered how on Earth they use computer keyboards?

Oddly.
They write t.eg. 'wan' in english characters then a selector thing appears as they type showing the possible symbols pronounced wan which they then select.

Hendryk

Banned
They write t.eg. 'wan' in english characters then a selector thing appears as they type showing the possible symbols pronounced wan which they then select.
That method is mostly used by non-native Chinese speakers. In China itself, the more popular system is Cangjie (named after the mythical inventor of Sinograms):

Cangjie is based on the graphological aspect of the characters wherein each basic, graphical unit is represented by a basic character component, of which there are 24 in all, each mapped to a particular letter key on a standard QWERTY keyboard. An additional "difficult character" function is mapped to the X key. Within the keystroke-to-character representations, there also exist four subsections of characters: the Philosophical Set (corresponding to the letters 'A' to 'G' and representing the sun and the moon and the 5 elements), the Strokes Set (corresponding to the letters 'H' to 'N' and representing the brief and subtle strokes), the Body-Related Set (corresponding to the letters 'O' to 'R' and representing various parts of the human anatomy), and the Shapes Set (corresponding to the letters 'S' to 'Y' and representing complex and encompassing character forms).

The basic character components in Cangjie are usually called "radicals"; nevertheless, Cangjie decomposition is not based on traditional Kangxi radicals, nor is it based on standard stroke order; it is in fact a simple geometric decomposition.

%E5%80%89%E9%A0%A1%E8%BC%B8%E5%85%A5%E6%B3%95_%E6%8B%86%E7%A2%BC.jpg

Stephen

Banned
And another thing as they cant be alphabetical what order do they store there file cabinets and libraries in.

Faeelin

Banned
The introduction of the printed word revolutionized Europe after Guttenburg. Among other things, it slowly eliminated Latin as the language of the elite and led to a rapid increase in both literacy and the use of vernacular languages in books, especially the Bible. What would be its impact in China?

I don't think it would be that significant. The Chinese were already printing tons of books around the same time as Europeans were, after all.

Thande

Donor
I don't think it would be that significant. The Chinese were already printing tons of books around the same time as Europeans were, after all.

But printing under such a system would both be simpler and also easier for translations to and from European languages, perhaps fostering more of an underground cultural exchange.

Stephen

Banned
Oddly.

Perhaps this explains why alphabets have never become popular in China. The high number of one sylable words creates a large number of synonyms. Which could get confusing without the context and tonation provided in verbal speach.

Besides, creating any sort of alphabet/syllabary immediately kills the Chinese language - and creates a dozen new ones 'Mandarin', 'Cantonese', etc., etc.

I think that for a Chinese empire, keeping a 'Chinese' language is probably very important.
[edit]even if it's only in a printed form - but that's how messages come from the court anyway

Besides, creating any sort of alphabet/syllabary immediately kills the Chinese language - and creates a dozen new ones 'Mandarin', 'Cantonese', etc., etc.

I think that for a Chinese empire, keeping a 'Chinese' language is probably very important.
[edit]even if it's only in a printed form - but that's how messages come from the court anyway

Wow. Thanks for the insights into written Chinese. I had no idea. Although I disagree on an ASB interpretation of the OP, I can see now where adoption of a Latin alphabet would be difficult, if not impossible. Dathi highlights one of the results of printing in Europe -- local languages came to dominate literate discourse, rather than the Latin that had held sway earlier as the language of Church, state, and science. Some authors claim that such was at least partially responsible for the rise of nationalism in Europe, and very possibly would have had the same affect in China.

Which makes one wonder what might have happened if the Catholic Church had not forced the Welsh and Irish churches to surrender and destroy their copies of the vernacular Bible when Rome reestablished its dominance of the churches in those areas in the High Middle Ages.

That method is mostly used by non-native Chinese speakers.]

Its what my Chinese friends use on their computers.
I've never seen that system...Odd....surely there's more radicals than letters?

Last edited: