WI Charles and Camilla die in 1997

So what effects would the deaths of Charles and his consort Camilla in an accident in 1997 have altered British history?

the young William immediately becomes the prince of wales but what political ramifications should this had eventuated.

Both princes are still technically under age.
Did Diana give up her rights of guardianship in the divorce?
If so with Charles death does legal guardianship transfer back to the remaining biological parent or does the Queen become their legal guardian.

Would William still go into the services and if so what would be his premier service.

What now happens with Diana?
She is now no longer a divorcee but a widow, at least legally and in the eyes of the church.

Lets discuss how GB would develop with William as prince of wales from 1997.

I wish the thread well but why is usually americans, australians,canadians and other foreigners who imagine these things will affect the UK?

The British don't care who does the job as long as they don't do things in the street and frighten the horses.

The UK will develop the same even if Hartlepool gave the job to a monkey. It doesn't matter what order they die in (meaning no ill will to any of them) as there are always plenty left.

Diana was not in the Royal Family in 1997 and the divorce was perfectly legal and effective.

I daresay some nominal title would have been found for her as the mother of the Prince of Wales but not as a Princess nor HRH. Something like Countess of Caernavon or Marchioness of Ynys Mon.

I would be sad to think of Camilla being killed off in this scenario. It would have been better if Charles had stood up to the Queen and married Camilla after she divorced earlier instead of the Spencer girl. Camilla has done a stout job of supporting Charles since they formally got together and understands her job is to turn up and know her lines, not to perform tricks to amuse the crowd. However, that would be another thread.

William would still be pursuing his RAF career as a helicopter pilot having gone to the same University and met the same wife, Harry would still be pursuing his army career and be serving in Afghanistan.

Diana was not in the Royal Family in 1997 and the divorce was perfectly legal and effective.

I daresay some nominal title would have been found for her as the mother of the Prince of Wales but not as a Princess nor HRH. Something like Countess of Caernavon or Marchioness of Ynys Mon.

I would be sad to think of Camilla being killed off in this scenario. It would have been better if Charles had stood up to the Queen and married Camilla after she divorced earlier instead of the Spencer girl. Camilla has done a stout job of supporting Charles since they formally got together and understands her job is to turn up and know her lines, not to perform tricks to amuse the crowd. However, that would be another thread.

William would still be pursuing his RAF career as a helicopter pilot having gone to the same University and met the same wife, Harry would still be pursuing his army career and be serving in Afghanistan.

Diana's title was already Diana, Princess of Wales and that will remain (both divorced wife and widow of peers use that style and do not think this will be different for her) at long she will not remarry, but I think who losing the other parent will really affect differently her young sons (specially William who will become the heir and not the heir of the heir and will have much more royal duty to carry when he became of the age) and can likely push them to make different choices in their lives

the young William immediately becomes the prince of wales

Not automatically he doesn't - that title doesn't follow the normal rules of inheritance, it has to be specifically granted by the monarch. I can see the Queen waiting until William's an adult, just as she did with Charles.

Not automatically he doesn't - that title doesn't follow the normal rules of inheritance, it has to be specifically granted by the monarch. I can see the Queen waiting until William's an adult, just as she did with Charles.
Good point.