WI Bush died suddenly and Cheney could run for President?

What if Bush just died for some strange extravagant reason and Cheney could run for president. What would happen then? It would have to be in the nick of time

Cheney could have run for president but chose not to file as a candidate and not to participate in the primaries. Had he become president before the republican convention, he could have made a pitch, but McCain would have had to release his pledged delegates.

I suspect that most folk once they get to be President want to stay that way. I have this fantasy it has to do with bad news from Iraq, GW Bush returns to his drug of choice (booze) and he smashes his skull on a toilet bowl (this kind of assumes a just God)

I think that it would be good if Cheney were on the ballot on November 4th. I think that the repudiation of the last 8 years would be total.

Jasen777

Donor
If we're talking a W death in 2006 or 2007, Cheney is such an obvious general election loser he might not be able to win the Republican nomination.

Nominating Cheney would guarantee a Democratic win, and the Republicans would know it.

Jasen777

Donor
Big difference between slim and none. And arguably McCain had a good chance until the financial crisis.

There's the minor detail that Cheney has publicly admited he does not desire the office of President, and would not run...
Yeah, of course, why bother when you can de facto have the job anyway and spend all your time in undisclosed locations rather than having to do photo ops and stuff?