WI: British SAS Did Assassinate Princess Diana

What if there was some evidence found to prove there was a larger conspiracy to kill Diana Princess of Whales during her car crash in 1997, even if it was just a rogue group. How would the world react to such a finding?

What if there was some evidence found to prove there was a larger conspiracy to kill Diana Princess of Whales during her car crash in 1997, even if it was just a rogue group. How would the world react to such a finding?

they would disregard th evidence as "false" or "over analyzed" as, together with all other conspiracy theories, it would be.

The key to a good plot is leaving around Just enough evidence to form a conspiracy theory, but not enough to actually cause serious questions to be asked. If anyone can walk that fine line, it would be the SAS.
Once the story devolves into a conspiracy theory, you're home free.

As long as the conspiracy as not tied to the royal family. I would suspect it would eventually be revealed.

Jbenuniv

Banned
Why, exactly, did the SAS do this? What motive is there to kill some woman who divorced from Britain's royal family? Does she have some insider knowledge?

I am sorry that anyone should die, whatever the reason. But why should there ever have been such a fuss about a not very bright woman who was no longer a member of the Royal Family and not a very efficient one when she was. Her driver was drunk, accept it and cope.

The real lesson was that the bodyguard was nearest the impact and lived as he was wearing a seatbelt. The others were not and died.

The Duchess of Cornwall has shown how to behave as a 'professional Royal'.

The whole premise is flawed anyway. Had all of them been wearing seatbelts they would probably have survived. What expertise is the Special Air Service Regiment supposed to have in road traffic accidents? All but ASB territory.

If anyone wanted to assasinate her this must be the worst way of going about it. It is almost as if Lee Harvey Oswald had shot at Kennedy with a shotgun instead of a rifle on the principle that there was a very small chance he could be successful.

The key to a good plot is leaving around Just enough evidence to form a conspiracy theory, but not enough to actually cause serious questions to be asked. If anyone can walk that fine line, it would be the SAS.
Once the story devolves into a conspiracy theory, you're home free.

I'm sorry? Why should a (albeit very skilled and brave) set of soldiers have these particular skills?

I guess it would depend on how much evidence became public. If it was just one or two hints of it or someone's word against everyone else's, there could be a lot of publicity around the news and the tabloids would have a field day, but I think that ultimately people would be skeptical of it and move on.

On the other hand, if it was major evidence that it was true, it would generate massive amounts of controversy. I also think that the actual consequences would depend on the specifics. If it turned out that a member of the Royal Family had ordered or approved the plan their reputation would be seriously tarnished, since Diana was so popular with everyone. If it was revealed that the motive had been Dodi being a Muslim, it would be even more controversial.

Why, exactly, did the SAS do this? What motive is there to kill some woman who divorced from Britain's royal family? Does she have some insider knowledge?

I believe the theory about it holds that she was pregnant by Dodi Al-Fayed at the time of her death and/or was about to announce her engagement to him, and also that the Royal Family didn't approve of this because of Dodi being Muslim.

As far as I know, this mostly comes from Dodi's father and what he believes about the accident. The problem is that most of what he points to as evidence has been contradicted by various sources including Diana's friends and even things like testing the vestiges of her blood found in the car for traces of hCG. If I recall correctly, Hasnat Khan (Diana's ex-boyfriend who was also Muslim) has said that the Royal Family never seemed to have any trouble accepting their relationship and were fine with the idea that the two could eventually get married.

EDIT: I should clarify, I don't really believe that the SAS did it.

Last edited:
I am sorry that anyone should die, whatever the reason. But why should there ever have been such a fuss about a not very bright woman who was no longer a member of the Royal Family and not a very efficient one when she was. Her driver was drunk, accept it and cope.

The real lesson was that the bodyguard was nearest the impact and lived as he was wearing a seatbelt. The others were not and died.

The Duchess of Cornwall has shown how to behave as a 'professional Royal'.

The whole premise is flawed anyway. Had all of them been wearing seatbelts they would probably have survived. What expertise is the Special Air Service Regiment supposed to have in road traffic accidents? All but ASB territory.

If anyone wanted to assasinate her this must be the worst way of going about it. It is almost as if Lee Harvey Oswald had shot at Kennedy with a shotgun instead of a rifle on the principle that there was a very small chance he could be successful.

I always thought she was responsible for her own death. She got into a car driven by a drunk. He was driving at high speeds and she wasn't wearing her seatbelt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry? Why should a (albeit very skilled and brave) set of soldiers have these particular skills?

Counter Revolutionary Warfare is a long practiced skill set. Since early in WWII it's been brought into the realms of the professional military. Prior to this it's been the purview of a number of gifted and excentric amateurs, or ignored as being "Un gentlemanly".

Counter Revolutionary Warfare is a long practiced skill set. Since early in WWII it's been brought into the realms of the professional military. Prior to this it's been the purview of a number of gifted and excentric amateurs, or ignored as being "Un gentlemanly".

Counter Revolutionary Warfare involves dressing in black, growing big tashes and throwing yourself down the side of an embassy while looking ally as. I doubt that assassination by what must be one of the most inefficient, easy to compromise methods I can think of would rank highly in the SAS' skillset.

As for the original premise - the Daily Express has an excuse to have her photo on the front page every day for the rest of time.

So not much changes really...

Surely outrage would focus on the fact that Britain had wasted its super-assassins on a totally irrelevant target. Shouldn't they have been sent after terrorists and foreign dictators and drug lords? It's like Truman dropping the atomic bomb on Judy Garland.

I always thought she was responsible for her own death. She got into a car driven by a drunk. He was driving at high speeds and she wasn't wearing her seatbelt.

I don't think she knew the driver was drunk. Remember that they were also being followed by paparazzi, so it's little wonder they didn't care much about the speed of the car.

It's like Truman dropping the atomic bomb on Judy Garland.

This is the best part of this thread (it's also true, as important as Diana was, I'm fairly certain that if the Royal Family wanted to go after her they would have done so when she and Charles were getting divorced, when whatever came out of it had the potential to damage them more).

It seems like no matter what the cause of death is people still get a conspiracy from it- if she had been shot it would of been the SAS, if her plane crashed it's the SAS etc. The royal family would be pretty stupid to use the SAS for the action as the royal prerogative doesn't allow for the Monarch to order military action without the cabinet and we've all seen what happens after a 'secret' SAS operation cough chris ryan cough

If it did emerge I'm sure it would be spun to either make it out as lone cell or something

And there are better "punishments" for a divorce and/or an improper engagement/pregnancy than killing somebody in these circles.

We are not in the KGB, GRU, Securitate, ÁVH or MBP here, but in the Royal Family. Diana could very easily be expelled or removed from the line of succession (or anything else), so why kill her at all; by SAS, car accident, or any other method?