WI British Home Football Championship carries on to present day?

Not long ago I made this ALT Wiki box regarding the Home Championship had it not ended in 1984 and carried on into the present day.

HomeNationsChampionship.png

For those who don't know about this, between 1884 and 1984, the United Kingdom's four Home Nations football team would play for six matches in the attempt of becoming British Champions and on two occasions it was used for World Cup qualification and once for European qualification. It would end with England and Scotland pulling out claiming that hooligan, fixture congestion and the desire to play so called bigger teams saw the tournament end though the annual match between them would carry on until 1989.

But it did get me thinking as to what if they hadn't pulled out and the tournament carried up the present day? What would help see it carry on and in doing so had it not ended who would be the winners of each tournament from 1985 to present day plus the culture effects On the UK population if it was still a thing? Always fun to do a Football TL and I'm surprised no one has thought more about this idea. Like to hear your thoughts on it.

Not long ago I made this ALT Wiki box regarding the Home Championship had it not ended in 1984 and carried on into the present day.

View attachment 653626

For those who don't know about this, between 1884 and 1984, the United Kingdom's four Home Nations football team would play for six matches in the attempt of becoming British Champions and on two occasions it was used for World Cup qualification and once for European qualification. It would end with England and Scotland pulling out claiming that hooligan, fixture congestion and the desire to play so called bigger teams saw the tournament end though the annual match between them would carry on until 1989.

But it did get me thinking as to what if they hadn't pulled out and the tournament carried up the present day? What would help see it carry on and in doing so had it not ended who would be the winners of each tournament from 1985 to present day plus the culture effects On the UK population if it was still a thing? Always fun to do a Football TL and I'm surprised no one has thought more about this idea. Like to hear your thoughts on it.
England would be... very dominant I imagine.

Golden generation might have actually won something lol

England would be... very dominant I imagine.

Golden generation might have actually won something lol
Actually, anyone could. I could see the Welsh team of the early 90's winning once or twice, might even make up for the failure to qualify for the 1994 World Cup. England were quite poor under Keagan so it's not far fetch to think one of the Home Nations might have taken the chance to win it. Yes England would dominate it but I can't see them winning it all the time.

Scotland would've had a fine chance of winning it in 2007 while they were on a great run under McLeish and England were struggling under Shteve McC. And the momentum from doing that might've seen them over the line for Euro 2008 at France's expense, thus resulting in the butterflies I posited the other week.

Scotland would've had a fine chance of winning it in 2007 while they were on a great run under McLeish and England were struggling under Shteve McC. And the momentum from doing that might've seen them over the line for Euro 2008 at France's expense, thus resulting in the butterflies I posited the other week.
Had a thought of Northern Ireland doing well in 2006 given how IOTL during qualification they punched above their weight then which included that victory over England. Wales will likely do good between 2015-17 IMO given the good place they were in and I'm certain 1993 too given how poor England were then.

It is ironic that when Scotland and England pulled out in what they wanted to play so called bigger opposition, ironically for Scotland it might have been better if they stayed put for as you mentioned a Home Championship here would have been useful for momentum for Euro 2008 qualification.

I am fascinating that in a world in which the tournament goes onto into the 1990's, would Sky make an interest in broadcasting rights which if they give it greater attention would it make more more 'country over club' mentality?

By 2010s you'd probably see it expanded with the likes of Gibraltar, the Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, the Shetland Islands and the Falklands participating in a Qualification tournament for the main event hehe :happyblush

Last edited: