WI Béla III of Hungary became Emperor of Constantinople?

Béla was the second son of King Géza II of Hungary. In 1164, Emperor Manuel I of the Romans signed a treaty with the new King of Hungary, Stephen III, and Bela was sent to be educated in the Byzantine court. Emperor Manuel saw a true potential in Bela and, as he had no sons, married him to his daughter, Maria Komnena, thus making him heir to the throne. Manuel created the title of despotes, seconded only by the Emperor, and granted it to Bela. Bela was also given a Byzantine name, Alexius (according to the AIMA prophecy). However, in 1166 Manuel finally got a son called Alexius and he cancelled the engagment of Bela-Alexius and Maria, depriving him of his title of despotes. In 1172, Bela's brother, King Stephen III of Hungary, died childless and Béla returned to Hungary to claim the throne. He later died in 1196, aged 47/48.

So, let's say that ITTL Alexius Komnenos was never born and that King Stephen III lived longer (quite possible. He died with 24 years). That way Manuel I dies without a male son and Béla becomes Emperor Alexius II of the Romans. That means no Adronikos Komnenos as Emperor and no Isaac II/Alexius III. There will be no Latin Massacre of Constantinople and the 4th Crusade could be butterflied away. What would happen? :)

Philip

Donor
For one thing, Bela won't conquer Croatia, Dalmatia, and Syrmia from the Romans for Hungary. If the Hungarians could do it without him, even against him, I don't know.

Interesting scenario... We get a Hungarian and Catholic Emperor of Byzantium. I wonder how that would be seen by the Pope?

Also, that creates a Mega Empire in the Balkans as Bela III/Alexius II will be King of Hungary in 1172 (Death of Stephen III) and Emperor of Byzantium in 1180 (Death of Manuel I Komnenos). That probably creates a very strong state in Eastern Europe.

Philip

Donor
Interesting scenario... We get a Hungarian and Catholic Emperor of Byzantium. I wonder how that would be seen by the Pope?

I doubt it. Bela would be required to convert before assuming the throne. If he somehow is crowned without converting, get ready for a tsunami of contenders and pretenders to show up.

Also, that creates a Mega Empire in the Balkans as Bela III/Alexius II will be King of Hungary in 1172 (Death of Stephen III) and Emperor of Byzantium in 1180 (Death of Manuel I Komnenos).

Maybe, maybe not. The Hungarian nobility might not support Bela-Alexius's claim to the Hungarian throne as long as he is the Byzantine heir.

That probably creates a very strong state in Eastern Europe.
Seems to me it greats a very unstable state in Eastern Europe.

Last edited:
As Philip said, he would be required to convert to the Orthodox Church, or he could forget being approved by the people. Moreover, there were some rumors that he had converted to the Orthodox Church when he returned to Hungary. That's one of the reasons for the Archbishop of Esztergom prefering not to crown him King of Hungary. As for the Pope, he would love it, because he would have a great influence over the Patriarchate of Constantinople.

Also, that creates a Mega Empire in the Balkans as Bela III/Alexius II will be King of Hungary in 1172 (Death of Stephen III) and Emperor of Byzantium in 1180 (Death of Manuel I Komnenos). That probably creates a very strong state in Eastern Europe.
I don't see how Bela could reign two different states. Either he becomes King of Hungary in 1172 or Emperor of the Romans in 1180. IOTL he went back to Hungary because of Prince Alexius. There, he had to fight for the throne against his younger brother, Geza, who was supported by his mother and the Archbishop. But ITTL Alexius was never born and Bela would still be the heir appearant of Manuel. I think he would want to grab the throne of Hungary but, if he did so, he wouldn't be able to rule Byzantium. The perfect scenario would be if King Stephen III didn't die or if Bela accepted giving away the throne to Geza, making him a puppet of Byzantium.