WI: Aztecs migrate towards the Mississippi Valley?

The Aztecs originated somewhere in modern-day Northern Mexico and the Southern US and around the 13th and 14th centuries, migrated towards the Valley of Mexico, forming an empire. We know the story of that, but what if the Aztecs migrated northwards, towards Cahokia and other Mississipian sites, and end up in a position of power? What changes result in Mesoamerica? Can the Mississipians avoid collapse, if the migrating Aztecs have anything to offer? How does this affect the Americas? How does this affect European colonization?

The Mississippians were beginning to decline by the mid 13th century, Cahokia itself was abandoned by 1300, so I suspect the Aztecs arriving would help accelerate that decline. Whether the Aztecs can come out on top in the end is a good question, they certainly succeeded in Mexico, but the Mississippian decline was much more total than what occurred in contemporaneous Mexico. There's still a good chance one of the other Nahua groups comes to power in central Mexico since many were already there, as such I have to wonder if many butterflies will actually happen in Mesoamerica, honestly.

Last edited:
That's hard to say. They probably wouldn't be all that much different from the other groups there. Sure, they were a mighty empire in Mexico, but that was once they settled down in an area already highly developed. The Mississippians were also highly developed before their decline, but I'm not sure another tribe out of many moving in would necessarily save their civilization.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Why would they even try that sort of migration? That is at least a thousand miles across some really harsh, as in jackrabbits need to carry food in a backpack to make it, terrain. Brutally, killing heat and dryness in the summer and frigid cold in the winters. Survival in the Sonora and Chihuahuan Deserts or even the slightly less foreboding Big Bend and White Sands deserts is almost entirely dependent on knowing where the water sources are, Those water sources tend to be defended by tribal bands at least as tough as the Nahuatl speaking population in Mesoamerica, and the locals would be fighting on their home ground. After summers that are beyond anything seen in Mesoamerica, any migration will now run head on into the High Plains in winter. It is entirely possible that no Aztec ever even saw snow, except on some far distant mountain. January in West Texas, or even in the White Sands Desert, will be completely outside their frame of reference. They will need to survive at least two, probably three full years of absolute hell before they manage to hit the Mississippi Valley. When the do, it won't be as the powerful Aztec state the Spanish found, the culture that dominated Southern Mexico for a couple centuries, it will be as a group of footsore stragglers that will find themselves facing well established Bands, maybe not at the peak of the Mississippian Culture, but still well established, quite aggressive and more than willing to do what it takes to defend what they have.

It is worth keeping in mind that it took American settlers and troops, using gunpowder weapons and artillery, with horses and wagons the better part of a century to handle the Tribal Bands of the Great Plains, and that was AFTER the Great post-Contact Pandemics gutted those Bands.

Seems like a long way to walk to encounter vastly worse conditions and potent adversaries than to settle in better terrain, in known climates a thousand miles closer to the starting point.

@CalBear, the first bit shouldn't be a problem since the Aztecs are from Aridoamerica, and probably the Chihuahua desert at that. The Plains present a bit of a challenge, but they wouldn't be the first Uto-Aztec group to move onto the plains either. I'd say they could overcome it all told.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
@CalBear, the first bit shouldn't be a problem since the Aztecs are from Aridoamerica, and probably the Chihuahua desert at that. The Plains present a bit of a challenge, but they wouldn't be the first Uto-Aztec group to move onto the plains either. I'd say they could overcome it all told.
Were they from that far North?

Linguistically what is known of the Aztec Language (specificall that it part of the Nahuatl family) puts them solidly in Central/Southern Mexico into Central America. They had only been in control of what is now Mexico City for a couple centuries before the bottom fell out with First Contact. That isn't really long enough for any prior language family to simply disappear.

Last edited:

Linguistically what is known of the Aztec Language (specificall that it part of the Nahuatl family) puts them solidly in Central/Southern Mexico into Central America. THey had only been in control of what is now Mexico City for a couple centuries before the bottom fell out with First Contact. That isn't really long enough for any prior language family to simply disappear.
The Nahua in general had been in Mexico for several centuries, but the Aztecs were relative late comers and didn't migrate into Mesoamerica until the 13th century. Prior to that they were still in Aridoamerica, which means the OP's PoD is essentially "WI the Aztecs migrate North(east) instead of South."

I’d also like to add that even if the Aztecs were already in Mexico, they wouldn’t necessarily need to cross deserts. They could easily follow the gulf coast north and east until they arrive in Louisiana and discover the Mississippi.

I’d also like to add that even if the Aztecs were already in Mexico, they wouldn’t necessarily need to cross deserts. They could easily follow the gulf coast north and east until they arrive in Louisiana and discover the Mississippi.
I think I'd prefer the desert to the swamp myself though. The other option is going North along the Rockies and following the Platte or Missouri straight down river to Cahokia. I think that would be my preference if I was choosing a way to go.

The Nahua tribes who migrated into the Valley of Mexico and founded the Aztec Empire are somewhat akin to the Turkic, Mongolian, and Tungusic tribes who migrated out of Siberia in history. Some Turkic tribes migrated into Anatolia and founded the Ottoman Empire there building upon the Byzantines, Romans, Hittites, and others who preceded them, while others migrated north and became nomadic reindeer-herders just like the Yukaghir who were there before, as well as breeding cows and horses that can survive in the Arctic.

Nahua peoples in the Mississippian area might take up Mississippian influences and building agricultural chiefdoms with large mounds, but they aren't going to recreate the Aztec Empire in Illinois just like Sakha peoples were never going to build an Ottoman Navy on the Arctic Ocean.

Last edited:

Linguistically what is known of the Aztec Language (specificall that it part of the Nahuatl family) puts them solidly in Central/Southern Mexico into Central America. They had only been in control of what is now Mexico City for a couple centuries before the bottom fell out with First Contact. That isn't really long enough for any prior language family to simply disappear.
Were there any languages with no word for snow?