WI Anglo-American War in the Early 20th Century

The scenario is that there is no WW1, and the U.S. growing industrial might and ambitions led to a naval arms race against the U.K., which eventually leads to war in the early 1920s.

How would the war go? Could the war expand to include Japan as an ally of the U.K.? What would be likely objectives for both sides of this conflict? And how would to rest of the European powers react?

Evidential

Banned
As a former Brit army major, I am not sure what your stance is on this. Do you support the United Kingdom during the war, and do you think that Japan was an Ally, or is your scenario a hypothetical?

This is kind of a catch 22 as its impossible to know until the situation unfolds. However, I do not see any scenario where the Japanese/Britannian war would expand into China, the only options were a major land operation on their north east border, or perhaps a limited naval engagement around the Indian Ocean, Japan would actually be interested in controlling the whole thing so if they were involved it wouldn't expand. Yes, I think a hypothetical situation because I think that to answer these questions it requires knowledge of events beforehand and by the time the dust settles you don't know.

With Europe in turmoil and the Kaiser leaving as a neutral as a way of putting a question like that to Britain can no longer be neutral - I think it all comes down to a political decision. Though one that I suppose the British Government will be making during the war. If war starts on both sides of the globe will countries try to expand? Oh I don't think it would be expand to any of that, the very best thing for both sides would be a neutral but at the start of the war that was almost impossible. I honestly have no idea on what the objectives are, I just kind of imagine that it's just Germany invades and Japan attacks as they feel England getting an ally in France was a betrayal, Japan would want revenge for earlier incidents and WWI was over, because that kind of plays out you could get to this whole situation.

This is kind of a catch 22 as its impossible to know until the situation unfolds. As a former Brit army major, I am not sure what your stance is on this. Do you support the United Kingdom during the war, and do you support your services in any war? What do you think your official job is in this case? The British army usually are supporting the Armed forces and should for example prevent attacks on embassies etc. If however I am ever put in a state of war, where the international atmosphere is completely different, for example under the USSR occupation of Afghanistan, the Russian army being my enemy at the time, how do I (or any other english soldiers) react? Some advice (just from some thinking about a couple of scenarios)

I have thought about this, which ever side is the aggressor if they managed to mobilise and were to launch an attack on the uk(or any other country), they would find themselves in the firing line. Therefore to ensure success an efficient method would be for the aggressors not to deploy their forces en masse, as that would limit their possible effectiveness of their ground troops(that really defeats the idea) However if the uk did get involved in a war they could also find themselves on the firing line. These conflicts are hard to judge so as such I dont know how well the Army would act.

I personally have no doubt however that the most professional military personnel will do their job and as it were, save face and do as well as they can. However with a growing number of “special forces” entering the army, many of whom are very very good soldiers but by their own definition, have too wide a view of the work they are doing, I am not so sure that the Army as a whole will react in the same way. However within the special forces unit, those who stand to lose their heads the most would very likely act as expected by their society. On your first part the response of the british government, can you describe what your role is.

Especially if its your not on duty in a war zone or simply sitting at home ? If your not in uniform then you cannot consitutionally have a gun except on duty. However if you do have a military police commission(also not legally you have a gun if you dont have a uniform or position) then you are responsible for ensuring that others behave appropriately. While on duty this would include as far as they can behave within your discipline. Now obviously not following orders to fire weapons as a whole is unacceptable and under human rights could become problematic.

However with a more strict security situation the onus on “responsible” military personnel would be more understood and accepted. Your point about “too wide a view of the work they are doing” is exactly the opposite in my opinion, as this is the primary purpose of a Soldier. Lastly can you describe the events of the “shot of you” as a reaction by the people of your culture, but of a greater awareness as people in the UK of the role the soldier fulfills.

Not following the laws of my country and hurting my brother soldiers is something I cannot forgive as a citizen of the UK. Sure it may be the “norm” in that society but I strongly do not believe this “norm” is what should stand as a model for the next generation. Especially at a time of war when lives may be taken by anyone. Soldiers are a single point of failure for any society. This is the very reason the military exists. If they have fallen in the same way as with every other civilisation I am not certain.