WI: Alexios I Komnenos agrees to Bohemond de Hauteville becoming Domestic of the East during the First Crusade ?

I am in the process of watching the Kings and Generals collection of videos on the First Crusade. In the episode on the Prince's Crusade, K&G mentions that Bohemond requested that Alexios appoint him as Domestic of the East before they set out toward Nicaea. Alexios declined and instead offered to grant Bohemond any land seized east of Antioch. Inevitably, this resulted in Bohemond proclaiming himself as Prince of Antioch in the aftermath of the First Crusade.

However, what might have turned out differently if Alexios had agreed to Bohemond's initial request and appointed him as the Domestic of the East, i.e., the commander of the eastern armies ? Bohemond was experienced in warfare, though most of that had previously been directed at Byzantium in his father's repeated invasions of the Balkans.

Huh I missed that in the video. Strange.

How serious was the request I wonder? And if he ends up working for the ERE (ironic lol) it raises the question about what happened to Antioch? Does he hand it to the empire? Still sort of rule it? Does someone else take it? I’m not too sure.

And when it comes to how things go with him in that position I guess it depends on how ambitious he is. He could be a disloyal ass and either try to claim the purple or try and take another fief for himself. But if he was loyal I think he would be a competent and successful commander and who knows maybe could speed up a Komnenos reconquest.

Very interesting scenario!

Inevitably, this resulted in Bohemond proclaiming himself as Prince of Antioch in the aftermath of the First Crusade.

It wasn't that inevitable. If Stephen of Blois hadn't chickened out and told Alexios that the Franks were screwed, Alexios might have kept marching east, and I think it's very unlikely that Bohemond would have kept the city if Alexios was on the scene. The other Frankish leaders were not exactly excited at the prospect of leaving Bohemond with the city.

However, what might have turned out differently if Alexios had agreed to Bohemond's initial request and appointed him as the Domestic of the East, i.e., the commander of the eastern armies ?

I'm not sure, but based on what we know of Bohemond I'm guessing the word "treachery" would be involved. I think you're more likely to end up with "Roussel de Bailleul 2.0" than "Bohemond, hero of the empire."

I suspect the immediate consequence of this would be to arouse the jealousy of the other Frankish leaders, because Bohemond has now been given a high position by the emperor and will probably try to assert his authority as leader. These guys were never on great terms with one another and it's entirely possible this blows up the whole enterprise in some unforeseen way. Even if they manage to keep things together as far as Antioch, there will probably be continual friction between the Franks who believe they're making a righteous pilgrimage for the Pope and Domestic Bohemond who is now apparently doing this as a job for the emperor.

Post-Antioch (assuming all else remains the same), the Crusaders probably spend a lot less time fucking around - IOTL they basically went nowhere for six months because of bickering about what to do with Antioch and general rivalries among their leaders. If Bohemond is the Domestic then there's no real question that he gets Antioch (in the name of Alexios, of course), and the Crusaders presumably don't have anything to keep them from moving south. You might also avoid the siege of Arqa, another massive waste of time, although perhaps Raymond is still dead set on getting Tripoli. It's worth noting that the Fatimids only captured Jerusalem from the Turks after the Battle of Antioch, I believe in September of 1098, so if the crusaders are really fast they might stumble across the city right as the Fatimids are besieging it. If al-Afdal and the Franks meet below the walls of the city, both with the same objective in mind... well, I'm not exactly sure how that plays out. "Badly," I assume.

I am not sure that it would make a lot of sense for Alexios to give overall comand of his army to a Norman. They had been mortal dangers for a while now and given the "lack of attachment" of byzantine soldiers to the territory on which they served (there were a lot of mercenaries), it would be very tempting for Bohemond to rebel and set up at least an independent principality în the region.

I am not sure that it would make a lot of sense for Alexios to give overall comand of his army to a Norman. They had been mortal dangers for a while now and given the "lack of attachment" of byzantine soldiers to the territory on which they served (there were a lot of mercenaries), it would be very tempting for Bohemond to rebel and set up at least an independent principality în the region.

Alexios had a very forgiving attitude toward people so it’s not impossible. Additionally, Byzantine rebels have been made Domestic of the East after being rehabilitated in the past so it’s not unheard of.

Alexios had a very forgiving attitude toward people so it’s not impossible. Additionally, Byzantine rebels have been made Domestic of the East after being rehabilitated in the past so it’s not unheard of.
Yeah, and it was not out of the ordinary for foreigners to be trusted with high office. Tatikios, Alexius's representative in the Crusader army, was the son of a Turkish slave who'd been taken prisoner by Alexius's father. If Bohemund proves himself in the empire's service, he could very well end up becoming a trusted subordinate of Alexius.

And I don't think we should necessarily assume that Bohemund would inevitably betray the Byzantines. He was ambitious, yes, but remaining loyal gives the opportunity to get more than just Antioch.

Did the "Domestic" have command authority over Imperial troops? Because I can't see Alexios ever giving that to any outsider. Especially not to one who has a record of fighting against the Empire, and has yet to do any fighting for the Empire.

Did the "Domestic" have command authority over Imperial troops? Because I can't see Alexios ever giving that to any outsider. Especially not to one who has a record of fighting against the Empire, and has yet to do any fighting for the Empire.

Domestic of the East/West were basically commander in chief of the armies of the east/west respectively.

Previously holder was Alexios’s brother Adrianos who had rebelled and tried to crown another landed person emperor. Around this time Alexios was concerned with empowering the landed family’s so handing the title to an outsider could help in that regard.

Domestic of the East/West were basically commander in chief of the armies of the east/west respectively.

Previously holder was Alexios’s brother Adrianos who had rebelled and tried to crown another landed person emperor. Around this time Alexios was concerned with empowering the landed family’s so handing the title to an outsider could help in that regard.
Safer in terms of domestic politics, but IMO definitely less safe for the Empire.

Like others have said, I find it hard to believe he would remain staunchly loyal to Alexios. But, if he does, that would be one hell of a gain for the empire: Alexios most likely gets an extremely skilled commander, his personal retinue and the return of Antioch (perhaps more) to the empire. More importantly the myth of the treacherous Romans (which the Normans helped develop) does not spread West.

Yeah, and it was not out of the ordinary for foreigners to be trusted with high office. Tatikios, Alexius's representative in the Crusader army, was the son of a Turkish slave who'd been taken prisoner by Alexius's father. If Bohemund proves himself in the empire's service, he could very well end up becoming a trusted subordinate of Alexius.

And I don't think we should necessarily assume that Bohemund would inevitably betray the Byzantines. He was ambitious, yes, but remaining loyal gives the opportunity to get more than just Antioch.
It is not the same, Tatikios is basically asimilated to the byzantine cultural sphere while Bohemond was not. You are right that a betrayal is not certain but it seems probable given his later record (in 1100 he was amassing troops for an attack on the Empire). Giving him the command of the troops ( in which Latin mercenaries including Normans were serving) would be like asking the future Mehmed II to serve as commander in chief of the Constantinople garrison. The normans were barely stopped în 1085 there was too much history to have a bond of trust so early