WI Adam Smith never published "The Wealth of Nations"

WI Adam Smith died of a illness before he published "the Wealth of Nations"? Smith also ordered they burned all his works that wasn't published so what if the book was burned along with his other works?

Last edited:

Philip

Donor
WI Adam Smith died of a illness before he published "the Wealth of Nations"? Smith also ordered they burned all his works that wasn't published so what if the book was burned along with his other works?

Somebody else would have published something similar. Wealth of Nations was not a revolutionary text. Rather, it was an excellent summary and defense of emerging theory and practice. IIRC, there was a Swede (although I don't recall his name) who anticipated much of Smith's work.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Dutch appeared to know pretty good what needed to be done to spur the economy - a hundred years earlier, or so.

So there must have been enough theory available - just the same infighting which keeps many countries even in our time from making the right decisions, probably worsened by widespread more or less absolutist monarchies in most of the world of that time - their leaders usually don't like reforms, and the ones who do often get removed by other people who are afraid to loose when things change.

But I think Britain might not have become quite as dominant over the next few centuries - thus making maybe the Netherlands bigger, or France. That would probably also change India's history.

If no easy-to-read documentation about economic policy was written by anyone, Prussia might not have had such a jump-start from nowhere - it might even have become part of a bigger Poland or Denmark instead. That might make Bavaria or the Rhineland the driving force of a pretty different German unification (if the Holy Roman Empire falls similar to OTL).

I have no idea so I just throw in my own question, what if he called it Wealth of the people? (The translation of the Swedish title). If nothing else, I think it would change retoric.

The thing is, is there much evidence that the Wealth of Nations actually changed things? The ideas were already there, it seems likely that someone somewhere would write them down.

I tend to think Ricardo is more important than Smith anyway. Wiki claims Ricardo was influenced to begin thinking about economics after reading Wealth of Nations, so that could be a considerable change. Assuming ofcourse he doesn't just read another book which says much the same.

But then comparative advantage for example doesn't exactly come across as a revolutionary idea. Someone somewhere should have been able to think of it.

I tend to think Ricardo is more important than Smith anyway. Wiki claims Ricardo was influenced to begin thinking about economics after reading Wealth of Nations, so that could be a considerable change. Assuming ofcourse he doesn't just read another book which says much the same.

Gees, you learn something new every day.:rolleyes: