WI: A Successful Big Game Hunt

How is the US changed, along with the world, if Theodore Roosevelt is successfully assassinated? The Bull Moose has been bagged and tagged, how is history forever changed by one man's seemingly inconsequential death?

Deleted member 94680

How is the US changed, along with the world, if Theodore Roosevelt is successfully assassinated? The Bull Moose has been bagged and tagged, how is history forever changed by one man's seemingly inconsequential death?

When? Pre-, during or post-Presidency?

Deleted member 94680

Ah ok.

Not a massive amount then as he was only running for the Progressive Party ticket. Did they even have anyone that could take over to gain any sympathy votes?

Not a massive amount then as he was only running for the Progressive Party ticket. Did they even have anyone that could take over to gain any sympathy votes?

Actually taking Roosevelt out of the 1912 election changes things greatly, because by running for his own party, he massively split the Republican vote, handing Wilson a landslide victory although Taft and Roosevelt between them had over 50% of the vote. Presuming all of Roosevelt's voters would have gone to Taft (admittedly not a very accurate assumption), he would have double Wilson's votes in the electoral college.

Deleted member 94680

Actually taking Roosevelt out of the 1912 election changes things greatly, because by running for his own party, he massively split the Republican vote, handing Wilson a landslide victory although Taft and Roosevelt between them had over 50% of the vote. Presuming all of Roosevelt's voters would have gone to Taft (admittedly not a very accurate assumption), he would have double Wilson's votes in the electoral college.

Fair point. I'm a bit sketchy on the dates, is his shooting after he's formed the Progressive Party? I take it it is as he was campaigning.

Would the Progressive Party voters simply switch back to the Republican Party or would they try to keep the movement going "in memory of Colonel Roosevelt"?

Fair point. I'm a bit sketchy on the dates, is his shooting after he's formed the Progressive Party? I take it it is as he was campaigning.

Would the Progressive Party voters simply switch back to the Republican Party or would they try to keep the movement going "in memory of Colonel Roosevelt"?
You might see both. A new candidate for the Bull Moose ticket, but probably most Progressive votes go back to Taft.