WI: A boy born instead of La Grande Mademoiselle

On May 29, 1627 a son was born from Duchesse d'Orleans, who sadly died a couple of days after and left all her wast fortune to the newborn - solemnly christened a couple months later as Jean Henri Louis, with Cardinal Richelieu being the boy's godfather and Queen Anne of Austria, sadly childless so far, being godmother.

How would the existence of young Duc de Montpensier alter the French/European history in coming decades?

First the boy will be also the heir of his father and that will put Louis XIII and Richelieu in a more complicated position because Gaston’s son will be the indisputable heirs of the Orléans and for now the secon-in-line after his father.
Sure that son will take away credibility to the eventual rumors who Queen Anne want the death of her husband for remarrying to his brother but at the same time it will reinforce his father’s claim as heir presumptive of France. With Orléans already father of a son maybe Louis will consent earlier to his second wedding to Marguerite de Lorraine and will surely a much desidered husband when he will become older. He will likely marry some princess or one of the cousins proposed also to Louis XIV.

His Aunt Christina, Duchess of Savoy will likely offer her eldest daughter, if he do not marry quickly the younger sisters or Henriette Anne of England are also candidates (or Henriette can be a candidate for his son if he marry early and has quickly a son)

Last edited:
If I'm Anne of Austria, I'm starting to feel the pressure to produce a living heir. But then again, the question arises does the little duc de Montpensier live (or rather, is he allowed to live)? Louis XIII might actually be more against Gaston remarrying than OTL, his thing would be, Gaston already has a son, why does he need to remarry, I'm the one married to a wife who can't keep a child in her belly, so if anyone's remarrying, it'd be me. (from what I gather, Louis could be extremely childish at times).

I think for the time being (1627-1638), nothing much changes, unless Anne pops out a miracle baby earlier, which is possible. Louis could see this as a threat from Gaston (and of course, don't forget Maria de Medici who'll start angling for little Jean before he dirties his first diaper), and be very...eager to couple with his wife. Wasn't Richelieu the one who urged Louis not to sleep with Anne so they could get an annulment? I see him having a hard time stopping that train once its left the station.

I think for the time being (1627-1638), nothing much changes, unless Anne pops out a miracle baby earlier, which is possible. Louis could see this as a threat from Gaston (and of course, don't forget Maria de Medici who'll start angling for little Jean before he dirties his first diaper), and be very...eager to couple with his wife. Wasn't Richelieu the one who urged Louis not to sleep with Anne so they could get an annulment? I see him having a hard time stopping that train once its left the station.
There was a rather easily avoidable miscarriage in 1631.
Anne would be forbidden kinds of frivolous entertainment she engaged in with her ladies-in-waiting OTL.

There was a rather easily avoidable miscarriage in 1631.
Anne would be forbidden kinds of frivolous entertainment she engaged in with her ladies-in-waiting OTL.

Fair enough, but how restrictive is the butterfly net? Cause Anne could be pregnant as soon as the next time she and Louis sleep together. Or are we just keeping Anne's pregnancies on the same schedule for sanity's sake?

Fair enough, but how restrictive is the butterfly net? Cause Anne could be pregnant as soon as the next time she and Louis sleep together. Or are we just keeping Anne's pregnancies on the same schedule for sanity's sake?
I think the ATL attempts in either 1628 or 1630 may be performed. There was one relatively recent miscarriage in 1626, so a try (whether successful or not) may be in order. Given Louis' jealousy...

I think the ATL attempts in either 1628 or 1630 may be performed. There was one relatively recent miscarriage in 1626, so a try (whether successful or not) may be in order. Given Louis' jealousy...

True. But it'll be complete hi-jinks if they try and Anne does fall pregnant again. And give birth successfully... To a daughter!

True. But it'll be complete hi-jinks if they try and Anne does fall pregnant again. And give birth successfully... To a daughter!
On the one hand, no grounds for annulment. On the other hand, stimulus to try again and again. With "miracle" or not so miracle baby Dauphin born in early 1630ies instead of OTL late ones.

On the one hand, no grounds for annulment. On the other hand, stimulus to try again and again. With "miracle" or not so miracle baby Dauphin born in early 1630ies instead of OTL late ones.

Fair enough. What if Annie has the misfortune to produce a string of girls? I mean, sure OTL we know the 1638 and 1640 pregnancies were boys, but that doesn't mean that will be the case TTL. Louis might not go Henry VIII on her, but he wasn't full of the warm and cuddlies for Gaston