WI: 1881, No One in the US Presidential Line of Succession

The Presidential Succession Act of 1792 was the first piece of legislation that extended the US Presidential Line of Succession beyond the Vice Presidency. Section 9 declared that, in the event of the removal, resignation, or death of both the President and Vice President, the President pro tempore of the United States Senate was next in line of succession after the Vice President, followed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives.

After the Garfield Assassination in 1881, Chester Arthur ascended to the presidency. Due to the event's timing and Constitutional restrictions, there was no Vice President, President pro tempore, or Speaker of the House for the first few months of his Presidency. According to both the Constitution and the Presidential Succession Act, there was no one to succeed in the event of Chester Arthur's death.

So, what if Chester Arthur had suffered an ill-timed stroke or heart attack after receiving word that Garfield was dead?

I think we see an interregnum until Congress assembles and elects a President for the time being. The problem is which house: The Senate was tied 37-37-1-1 (1 Readjuster [William Mahone] and 1 Independent [David Davis]). Chances are they might not be able to elect a President Pro Tem immediately, and let the Republican House elected some one. If the Democrats wanted to be bastards they could try and elected one of their own, like OTL's Bayard. Unlikely as he was President Pro Tem fro October 10-13 1881. But knowing that the President Pro Tem would ascend to the Presidency, there might be a wrench thrown in the plans an fail.

Given this it is possible the House Speaker Keifer, under a Republican majority, would ascend failing the nomination of a PPT.

Wouldn't they go for a bi-partisan choice? Somebody like, say, Mahone?

The Democrats narrowly (popular vote) lost 1880, and I don't think many Republicans would want a former Confederate as a President, even if he turned away from it.

The Democrats narrowly (popular vote) lost 1880, and I don't think many Republicans would want a former Confederate as a President, even if he turned away from it.

Probably not; it may be true that Mahone, actually turned out pretty decent, for a former slaveholder & Confederate, anyway. But even though he was no Fire-Eater, indeed, the fact he once owned any slaves at all would have been alone to shun him from the mainstream of the GOP, no matter how repentant he may have been.

I dunno much about J. Warren Keifer, TBH, but he does seem like a good candidate, I suppose.

Section 10 seems to indicate that, the office of President and Vice President both being vacant, the Secretary of State would notify the states that there would have to be a presidential election in December, provided there were at least 34 days to go before the first Wednesday in December.

And as I understand it the Presdient pro tem of the Senate served until the special election. The President pro tem of the senate when last in session would probably serve

Can the House elect someone who is not a Representative as Speaker? If so, maybe they all agree Samuel Tilden gets his moment (or 5-6 months) in the sun.:) I wouldn't be surprised if someone proposes this, anyway.

Can the House elect someone who is not a Representative as Speaker? If so, maybe they all agree Samuel Tilden gets his moment (or 5-6 months) in the sun.:) I wouldn't be surprised if someone proposes this, anyway.

The then provision gave the acting president role to the President pro tem of the Senate NOt THE SPEAKER

There are no limitations on who the House can elect as its Speaker, though I would expect the opposition to challenge the majority over it.

If there is no President pro tempore, then the position goes to the Speaker.

I dont know about the rest of it, but I see a stampede of congress critters to the railroad stations to get back to the capitol. Whichever party has a majority in its chambers when a quorum is had could attempt to force a selection while they dominate. ...and, if the House can select a Speaker before the Senate has a quorum it can argue its man is now president since there is no Pres Pro Tem in the Senate ..yet.

For this and assorted other reasons described by others in this thread it could turn into a crazy clusterf..k, with the Supreme Court having final judgement :confused:

I think we see an interregnum until Congress assembles and elects a President for the time being. The problem is which house: The Senate was tied 37-37-1-1 (1 Readjuster [William Mahone] and 1 Independent [David Davis]). Chances are they might not be able to elect a President Pro Tem immediately, and let the Republican House elected some one. If the Democrats wanted to be bastards they could try and elected one of their own, like OTL's Bayard. Unlikely as he was President Pro Tem fro October 10-13 1881. But knowing that the President Pro Tem would ascend to the Presidency, there might be a wrench thrown in the plans an fail.

Given this it is possible the House Speaker Keifer, under a Republican majority, would ascend failing the nomination of a PPT.
I think an interregnum would be very likely. I imagine the Cabinet Secretaries would carry on with the routine day to day business of government. The Secretary of State would probably, very unofficially, act as President. if I interpret the scenario correctly, Arthur dies right after hearing the news about Garfield's death, so he hasn't had time to replace James Blaine as Secretary of State. I'd think Blaine would try to hold the government together until a new President is elected, selected or what have you.

After reading about Roosevelt's views on Blaine, I wonder how the country would do under acting President Blaine, however short it is.

After reading about Roosevelt's views on Blaine, I wonder how the country would do under acting President Blaine, however short it is.

If you believe Harry Turtledove, not well at all. He's portrayed as a warmongering idiot in that book. :p

In real life, he would probably have a lot of fights in Congress. He disliked both Hayes and the Stalwarts, and being a pro-Reconstruction Republican, he would have difficulty with the Southern Democrats as well. He supported a strong dollar, and favored gold over even a modest bimetal system. He also supported a stronger navy than existed at the time.

*Note: All this information comes from a quick glance at the Wikipedia article. Blaine is NOT my area of expertise.*

Last edited:
What were Roosevelt's views on Blaine?

A corrupt venal old man, Roosevelt supported Edmunds for President in 1884 as opposed to Arthur (who he never forgave for his father failure to be Port Inspector of New York) or the perenially shift Blaine. Edmunds main attraction was his honest politics and reform credentials. No history of shady dealings known. Roosevelt did not bolt for Cleveland like the Mugwumps, but his hothead comments after the convention would haunt him down the line

Interesting POD. Such a clusterfuck could lead to some fun (probably ASB) 19th century version of A World of Laughter, A world of Tears. Instead of President Disney you get President Edison:The Wizard of Washington :D.