Why People Hate "Alternate History" (See SPIKE-TV)

It was amazingly awful. Hell, at least Hitler's Britain made some sort of sense, but this was just totally unlikely. Americans becoming German, my foot. The hell happened to everybody else?

The only positive factor I can eek out from this (I'm stretching it here) is that it might get younger kids who wouldn't be able to swallow a more detailed, advanced scenario of AH.

But besides that... I think I might need to get a bucket if I watch more of this.

The only positive factor I can eek out from this (I'm stretching it here) is that it might get younger kids who wouldn't be able to swallow a more detailed, advanced scenario of AH.

But besides that... I think I might need to get a bucket if I watch more of this.
I can't believe that they made D-Day of all places the POD. That was spectacularly stupid.

If you think thats stupid, look at the scene where Hitler is in Hollywood and look at who's next to him- try not to crack up.
I know! It was so awful. They also forgot that Germany didn't have the resources to build their atomic weapon, and that Einstein had given the American government the wrong answer about how long it would take them to build a nuclear weapon.:rolleyes:

I know! It was so awful. They also forgot that Germany didn't have the resources to build their atomic weapon, and that Einstein had given the American government the wrong answer about how long it would take them to build a nuclear weapon.:rolleyes:

And I love the message they give at the end: Don't worry about the evil Nazis, Facebook and Twitter will save us all!

I can't believe that they made D-Day of all places the POD. That was spectacularly stupid.

well, many americans are unfamiliar with the rest of the war, mostly because there were 'no Americans fighting' :D:rolleyes:

This show was made for an audience that will not want/does not need to care about the dry conventional history and plausible butterflies that we here like.

It's like 300; Enjoy the violent special effects and bloodshed, that's why it was made.

Okay, apparently my DVR picked it up last night. I'm watching it now. Personally I don't see much wrong with it. They seem to be taking the "What if Hitler won WWII" question as a springboard for their real question: "What if the United States was a police state?".

Now I know a lot of folks on the site probably don't like that because they're not out-and-out saying what they're doing, but I like it. It's what I think Alternate History can be used as: a prism to view the changes in our own world. It's why In the Presence of Mine Enemies was so good.

MacCauley's Opinion. Take notice of the bolded areas.

The main question is, why would they even allow the Internet to go public?

These are the Nazis we're talking about. If they were dumb enough to waste tons of precious steel and coal on useless Wunderwaffe, I wouldn't put it past them to release the internet to the public.

Actually, I think it will turn more people off to the idea of alternate history. Any Hollywood studio, after watching the show, would look at any script with "alternate history" and throw it into the woodchipper....

So to anyone who was hoping for a 1632 or Guns of the South film, you are going to have to wait another 12 years before people take it seriously....

Actually, I think it will turn more people off to the idea of alternate history. Any Hollywood studio, after watching the show, would look at any script with "alternate history" and throw it into the woodchipper....

So to anyone who was hoping for a 1632 or Guns of the South film, you are going to have to wait another 12 years before people take it seriously....
Here's the thing though. Average people don't have the same standards for alternate history works as you or I or anyone else on this forum do. Hollywood producers might look at the show and see that it's stupid, or they might look at the show and see that more people are interested in the genre and therefore be more likely to go ahead with an AH film.

Here's the thing though. Average people don't have the same standards for alternate history works as you or I or anyone else on this forum do. Hollywood producers might look at the show and see that it's stupid, or they might look at the show and see that more people are interested in the genre and therefore be more likely to go ahead with an AH film.
Considering the poor ratings the show got... The show was placed on hiatus immediately after it aired (8/25), and the terrible reviews it received from almost everyone who saw it, no sane Hollywood producer or studio head would ever come to that conclusion...

Considering the poor ratings the show got... The show was placed on hiatus immediately after it aired (8/25), and the terrible reviews it received from almost everyone who saw it, no sane Hollywood producer or studio head would ever come to that conclusion...
Can you give me a link to what ratings the show got? I can't find the numbers anywhere.