Who is the King of America? (Discussion/Poll)

Who is the ruler of the United Kingdom of America?

• Queen Brynda

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • King William I

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • King Robert II

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • King Richard

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Queen Mary

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters
This video goes into detail regarding the living descendants of George Washington, who as we all know turned down the possibility of becoming the first King of America. But what if instead he did? Who would be the monarch today?​

Well, if George Washington decided to become a king, my guess is that he would want the heirs of his estate to rule over his kingdom after his death. George Parke Custis would be 18 years old by the time of his adopted father's death. He would've been too young and inexperienced to assume the throne, not to mention that GPC had no political training whatsoever, so he would be terrible at running the kingdom. I doubt George would want his distant relatives, who have no experience in politics or with managing his estate, to rule over the country.

Bushrod would be the most likely successor for George Washington as King of the United Kingdom of America (that is a terrible name, by the way, no offense) which means King Larry II would be today's monarch. (I would vote for him, but he doesn't appear to be in the poll)
Larry is Mary's heir, since she's still alive.

Worth noting that the "senior line" wouldn't really have a claim to the throne since George's father had no claim to it to pass on. Thus it would have been down to George's Will (or more likely whatever rules of succession the Kingdom of America had set forth, perhaps elective).

It's interesting though that little mention of Samuel's line - the actual senior line of George - is brought up either.

Well, if George Washington decided to become a king, my guess is that he would want the heirs of his estate to rule over his kingdom after his death. George Parke Custis would be 18 years old by the time of his adopted father's death. He would've been too young and inexperienced to assume the throne, not to mention that GPC had no political training whatsoever, so he would be terrible at running the kingdom. I doubt George would want his distant relatives, who have no experience in politics or with managing his estate, to rule over the country.

Bushrod would be the most likely successor for George Washington as King of the United Kingdom of America (that is a terrible name, by the way, no offense) which means King Larry II would be today's monarch. (I would vote for him, but he doesn't appear to be in the poll)

In other hand George I might live longer altough hardly many years longer than in OTL. But it is still quiet plausible that either George I's brother/nephew would become next king or then America would be elective monarchy. And monarch hardly would has much of power. Probably pretty same as British monarch. Or then Congress or some kind of council could elect new dynasty.

Kaze

Banned
How about this idea instead...George realizes there would be a succession crisis and to head off a potential civil war goes with "I choose John Adams instead - he has children at the moment, and grandchildren in the wings."

Throughout his lifetime Adams expressed controversial and shifting views regarding the virtues of monarchical and hereditary political institutions. Sometimes he was against it and sometimes he was for it, sometimes both at the same time.

Wouldn't Adams' reign be somewhat controversial? I know he wasn't exactly a despot as President, but this is the guy who signed into law the Alien and Sedition Acts, which punished anyone 'guilty' of 'uttering and publishing false, scandalous and malicious writings against the Government of the United States'. Assuming this monarchy is hereditary after all, there is a possibility that these acts might never be repealed or if someone tries to repeal, Adams' children might veto it. Unless, it's John Quincy Adams, since he stood against President Jackson, I doubt he would support these acts as King. Then again, JQA might be a totally different person in this timeline.

I think that if America would had became monarchy, monarch's power would be more limited than OTL POTUS. Hardly anyone wants almost absolute monarch who reigns rest of his life.

I think that if America would had became monarchy, monarch's power would be more limited than OTL POTUS. Hardly anyone wants almost absolute monarch who reigns rest of his life.

I'm not suggesting a absolute monarch. Queen Elizabeth II Is a symbolic monarch, and yet she has the power to suspend Parliament, to declare war, the power of royal assent and is free from prosecution under British law. http://royalcentral.co.uk/blogs/insight/what-are-the-queens-powers-22069. As far as I know, the British monarch hasn't used their veto powers in over 300 years.

Who's to say the American monarch wouldn't have those powers? Unless he has some kind of authority, having an American monarch is a pointless endeavour.

wwbgdiaslt

Gone Fishin'
I'm not suggesting a absolute monarch. Queen Elizabeth II Is a symbolic monarch, and yet she has the power to suspend Parliament, to declare war, the power of royal assent and is free from prosecution under British law. http://royalcentral.co.uk/blogs/insight/what-are-the-queens-powers-22069. As far as I know, the British monarch hasn't used their veto powers in over 300 years.

Who's to say the American monarch wouldn't have those powers? Unless he has some kind of authority, having an American monarch is a pointless endeavour.

The refusal to give royal assent was last used in 1708 afaik, but was almost used by George V a century ago.

Now that would be an interesting timeline circa 1799-1800. George Washington having reigned over the United States Of America since the end of the Revolution as Good King George dies without having named an official heir. Contenders start to squabble over the succession. With no clear solution in sight they prepare bases of power and cults of personality. Trying to appeal to the masses touring the country side and with pamphlets and newspaper editorials. Their are even those that say King George didn't pick an heir on purpose as a sign that the nation should become a Republic. This leads to a heated argument in a tavern in say Baltimore. Men start shoving each other, drinks are spilled, spittoons knocked over. Soon it's a full blown brawl that draws in the neighborhood then the entire city. Militia is called in but different officers start siding with different factions. This marks the first battle of the War of Washingtonian Succession. European nations choose their candidates as well and start loaning and gifting cash, ships, guns, and troops in the hopes of reaping a return on their investment. I imagine the French take a special interest in civil war having just gone through an especially bloody one themselves.