Who could have replaced MacArthur as head of the occupation of Japan?

IOTL MacArthur was the Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers (SCAP) and had absolute control over the demilitarization and economic restoration of Japan. One notable feature of his tenure as SCAP was his shielding of Emperor Hirohito from legal consequences for waging imperialistic war.

Suppose for whatever reason that MacArthur did not become SCAP. What other candidates would likely have been chosen (Nimitz?). How do you think, for better or worse, they would have met the objectives of the occupation? If they had chosen to prosecute the Emperor how do think this would have changed cultural and political attitudes in Japan?

The emperor considered abdicating IOTL, and may have done so without MacArthur. One contemporary poll asked “how did you feel when you heard that Japan had given up the war?” Only 4% of respondents expressed concern about the emperor. Public attachment to Hirohito and the monarchy may be overestimated.

Abdication was contemplated many times as a means to separate the Japanese monarchy from the burden of Hirohito's war responsibility, not as a means to open up the road for a republic.
It was originated in the traditional notion that the monarchy must remain moral and had nothing to do with public opinion on the institution, which remain all time popular. All post-war polls on the question indicate so, and the investigation you linked was questioning about how they felt about the defeat, not about whether they care about monarchy.

IOTL MacArthur was the Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers (SCAP) and had absolute control over the demilitarization and economic restoration of Japan. One notable feature of his tenure as SCAP was his shielding of Emperor Hirohito from legal consequences for waging imperialistic war.

Suppose for whatever reason that MacArthur did not become SCAP. What other candidates would likely have been chosen (Nimitz?). How do you think, for better or worse, they would have met the objectives of the occupation? If they had chosen to prosecute the Emperor how do think this would have changed cultural and political attitudes in Japan?

How would the Japanese society accept the occupation without the monarchy's full cooperation with the West is everyone's guess, but the matter of fact is that Hirohito was the No.1 asset of the occupation authority. The possibility of Hirohito's indictment is what kept Japanese conservatives from mobilizing opposition against post-war reform, and it was his self-reinvention as a pro-West pacifist that allowed Japanese public's acceptation of the Western ideals. It wouldn't take much clue for anyone who occupies the post to see that.

It was originated in the traditional notion that the monarchy must remain moral and had nothing to do with public opinion on the institution, which remain all time popular. All post-war polls on the question indicate so
Fair enough. Do you have a link to another poll? I believe you, but it's always fun to eyeball another poll.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Obvious choice would be Nimitz or Marshall. Followed by Ike, maybe Spruance. Smith and Halsey would have been utter disasters

That said, as much as I utterly loathe MacArthur, he was literally the perfect choice for that job. Who better to deal with the Son of Heaven than a man who had gone so far beyond delusions of Godhood as Mac? He was the exact sort of personality that the Japanese civilian leadership was used to dealing with and he saw Japan as a chance to actually build an entire country to his specifications.

A Japan that absorbed and ethnically cleansed a good chunk of China would be a VERY powerful country. Japan had the TFR in the 1930s to have plausibly done this. With a TFR in the 5 range, you can double your population in the space of 20 years pretty easily. Alternate Japan could easily catch up the US in terms of population, even if we just count ethnic Japanese population. I don't think this would put it in superpower territory a la the USSR and the US, but it'd be at least as strong as Cold War era China, probably with a better economy.

a man who had gone so far beyond delusions of Godhood as Mac?
Soooooo true & soooo funny at the same time, I am chuckling to my self as I think of this. Such a good comment by CalBear. I luv it!

Fair enough. Do you have a link to another poll? I believe you, but it's always fun to eyeball another poll.

cHGpwFu.jpg

For example, the exact same respondents from the investigation you referred to answered the US Strategic Bombing Survey that they wish to "Retain" the Emperor (62%) or even expressed "sorry for the Emperor" (7%). The ones done by Japanese pollsters are far more overwhelming, as a joint survey of Nihon Shūho, Yomiuri Shimbun, and Hōchi Shimbun (1945 December 23) indicated 95% of the respondents answered they support the monarchy, in Asahi Shimbun's survey (1946 January 23) it was 92%, and in Mainichi Shimbun's survey (1946 February 3) the "affirmative" response percentage was 91%.

cHGpwFu.jpg

For example, the exact same respondents from the investigation you referred to answered the US Strategic Bombing Survey that they wish to "Retain" the Emperor (62%) or even expressed "sorry for the Emperor" (7%). The ones done by Japanese pollsters are far more overwhelming, as a joint survey of Nihon Shūho, Yomiuri Shimbun, and Hōchi Shimbun (1945 December 23) indicated 95% of the respondents answered they support the monarchy, in Asahi Shimbun's survey (1946 January 23) it was 92%, and in Mainichi Shimbun's survey (1946 February 3) the "affirmative" response percentage was 91%.
Thank you!