Who becomes King of England?

Which of these would get the throne?

• Total voters

Keenir

Banned
I was watching The King's Speech again, and the question seemed valid: If these were the only options, which of them would be most likely to become King Of England?:

A Prince with pro-German sympathies.

A Prince with the intention of marrying an American divorcee.

A Prince with epilepsy.

Thande option: one of Bertie's and David's sisters is crowned Queen instead.

(yes, I split David into two)

Her mother, probably. Or maybe one of the other sons of George V, like the Duke of Gloucester or Kent. Gloucester seems most likely, considering Kent's drug addiction.

Last edited:
Who was the epileptic one? If it was Prince John, he had been dead since 1919.

Actually I don't think a degree of pro-Germanism would have been considered a fatal bar in 1936 - as long as the King continued to follow his ministers' advice on everything that really mattered. It was the American divorcee who was the problem.

Who was the epileptic one? If it was Prince John, he had been dead since 1919.

Actually I don't think a degree of pro-Germanism would have been considered a fatal bar in 1936 - as long as the King continued to follow his ministers' advice on everything that really mattered. It was the American divorcee who was the problem.

And his mindset being all wrong for Kingship. The Powers That Be wanted Edward to fall off his horse and break his neck as early as the 1920s, long before Wallis arrived on the scene.

I don't think people really understand the extent of Prince John's Epilepsy. He had incredibly debilitating fits which led to severe physical and mental handicaps and eventually death.

TBH, what he was given- a comfortable period living on one of the estate farms with constant care and supervision- is the best that he could have had.

Er... by Tsar, do you mean Tsar Nicholas II of the Russian Empire?
Because, you know, [IIRC] he would be quite high up in the line of succession (and his wife/children certainly were, being descendants of Queen Victoria).
It might actually be theoretically possible (though pretty much ASB) to have Alix succeed to the throne at some point (and would probably lead to a major crisis if it happened while she was still Empress of Russia) - I mean, she was what, 50th or so at her death IOTL? :) (For other royal things, there's also [IIRC again] the Queen of Norway to consider - I think IOTL she was next in line after the OP-mentioned people.)
More on-topic: probably either sisters or the pro-German one. The epileptic one probably dies before the other two are done abdicating :D

Actually, ASB or not it would be an interesting write up to put crown ANY other monarch. There are still some interesting legal complications possible with a personal union...

Actually, ASB or not it would be an interesting write up to put crown ANY other monarch. There are still some interesting legal complications possible with a personal union...

And IIRC Queen of Norway in the early 20th century is indeed the most probable (or her son, OTL Olav V - in which case he's already King of [England] when he becomes King of Norway).

And IIRC Queen of Norway in the early 20th century is indeed the most probable (or her son, OTL Olav V - in which case he's already King of [England] when he becomes King of Norway).

IIRC this was proposed somewhere... it may have been real life, it may have been a TL, but I've definitely heard the idea. Some sort of Norwegian-British union through the thrones is not new to me. Can't work out why.

by "A Prince with pro-German sympathies" you could also mean The Prince George, Duke of Kent as well as The Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor, of course of the 5 sons of King George V, The Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester might have been best out of the gate for it, David and George were Royal pukes, Albert, Henry and John were good eggs (though John died young so know knows)

Pro-German prince. John's epilepsy was quite severe and also apparently included mental retardation. Forget the throne, institutionalization is more like it. Henry wasn't the brightest bulb of the bunch- in my readings the IQ order is George-David-Albert-Henry-John.

More broadly: depends on butteflies. George could have succumbed completely to narcotics, Albert remaining knock-kneed or tongue-tied. David could've been sent to public school and found a suitable wife.

Pro-German prince. John's epilepsy was quite severe and also apparently included mental retardation. Forget the throne, institutionalization is more like it. Henry wasn't the brightest bulb of the bunch- in my readings the IQ order is George-David-Albert-Henry-John.

More broadly: depends on butteflies. George could have succumbed completely to narcotics, Albert remaining knock-kneed or tongue-tied. David could've been sent to public school and found a suitable wife.

I've never see anything to say there was anything wrong with John's mind.

I've never see anything to say there was anything wrong with John's mind.

IIRC I read that in Ziegler's Edward VIII bio. In any case an epileptic was a non-person in all practical terms, especially since the drugs that control it were far from being invented and superstition, not medicine, ruled all interaction with epileptics.

Keenir

Banned
Er... by Tsar, do you mean Tsar Nicholas II of the Russian Empire?
Because, you know, [IIRC] he would be quite high up in the line of succession (and his wife/children certainly were, being descendants of Queen Victoria).
It might actually be theoretically possible (though pretty much ASB) to have Alix succeed to the throne at some point (and would probably lead to a major crisis if it happened while she was still Empress of Russia) - I mean, she was what, 50th or so at her death IOTL? :)

well, it would be after the Tsar's family seeks shelter from the Revolution, so that shouldn't be a concern - should it?

What, no option for "Whoever is the next in the proper order of succession"?

When I made this poll, I could recall the three brothers (one of whom didn't make it to the 30s), three sisters, and the widowed Queen Mother (who I sadly left off the poll - apologies)...the Tsar was more for a Thande option.