White Slavery Proposal in the CSA?

I had a professor for a class called Philosophy of Race, and he brought up a few times that both black slaverowners and white slaves existed tp varying extents at various times, but that they were always small percentages. However the white slaves were almost always Irish or another group who was viewed by the WASP culture as inferior anyhow. His claim was that anti-black racism evolved out of the environment of slavery, essentially that since most slaves were black because that was the major export of West africa after Columbus's voyages found new sources of gold and sent the African coast into economic dissarray. Europeans then continously tried to find ways to justify slavery, constantly refining white to exclude those they wished to dominate. Indians, as in from India, and arabs we're included as 'white' due to "common culture" i.e. a market focus, until it was more useful for them to be considered 'others' for colonialism. As the European markets began to dominate, they could dictate who was what race and their inherent values due to having more gold, more advanced tech bought with said gold, and more allies funded with, you guessed it, colonial gold.

In America and britain at least, Irish werent treated as white for religious, economic, and political reasons. The arabs, initially called 'white' were Denegrated over time as being less rational for rejecting the trinity, which somehow stimulated greater rational thought according to some author(s). Similarly, pagan Africans and other animists were said to only be able to contemplate tangible physical things because of their worship of spirits/gods in parts of nature, and thus weren't considered irrational and incapable of higher thought. But none of these judgements became popular until there were geopolitical benefits to be gained from adopting them. Excuses made to justfy the action, rather than the cause of the action.

Tldr. Anti-black racism developed because black slaves were in supply as an effect of new gold markets crushing the west african gold trade, and this grew into "blacks are lesser because i lIke them enslaved" rather than "these people are lesser, let's enslave them". I think this is really important for discussing counter-factual slave trade. If so much of the gold that came from the conquests of the carribbean, the Aztecs, etc somehow stayed in the Americas, maybe buried to hide it or lost at sea, perhaps the west african gold trade would be less hindered, would not to such an extent grow to rely on the slave trade, and thus slavery would evolve completely different. Perhaps in this scenario, the slave population would be made up of criminals, debtors, prisoners of war, and unfortunately whatever native Americans are still alive, rather than by and large coming via trade. At least in this scenario maybe supply never quite reaches demand, and other techniques gain the prominence slave labor did. Also, this would butterfly Britain turning black and white Americans on each other via policy, as they did after Bacon rebellion. This helped to cement a "us vs you" mentality that we still suffer from.

Maybe Columbus dies during his adventure, and the news of the new world and it's riches takes longer to spread, with colonialism taking longer? Give more time for either west africa to adapt to its disappearing gold trade, or simply to let the butterflies flap and simply slaves aren't used as widespread as in otl. If slavery is less popular due to less supply, or if the supply comes from other sources, might we see a more Roman slave system than the chattle of the Columbian trade? This would be an entirely different colonialism however; different economy, butterfly most African Americans, likely destroys the rest of the native population, and probably leaves religious justification as justification for slavery rather than race. Now that I'm thinking about that though, this might make the divide between christian and the Muslim world more virolent, more resemble the anymosity of otl racial issues, with Europeans making up justifications that other religions are 'less rational' and thus inferior, "so war and enslavement!". This may have disastrous effects on relations with Africa later on, as if I'm correct christianity didn't spread until colonialism besides in Nubia and Ethiopia, no? I could actually see this turning into a 'draka-esque' situation, though I think a combination of the crusades and apartheid would be a better comparison, as I'm sure it would eventually crumble. Whites had to make up bullshit justifications to feel better about slavery, I'm sure the cognitive dissonance that "were equal....but not you!" Would erupt eventually in lower classes who see the horrors but not the benefit, and in this scenario would be at risk of being enslaved themselves for "heresy" i.e. anything those who want more slaves came up with.

Also maybe a pod in west africa, where something besides the slave trade replaces the gold trade, would be as effective for diversifying the slave population? A gradual loss of the gold trade rather than an immediate stop may allow for less profitable industries to arise to take the place, meaning that some slaves are probably west african but the supply is significantly less and thus they are significantly less of the slave population.

Also sorry this is so long, speculative, and kinda off topic, my brain just keeps firing and I'm interested in what other have to say on this. I really do think that racism to otl extent is an accident of circumstance that became cemented as hatred so white people could ignore the guilt of profiting off of misery. Note: I don't see this is as apologism because if this is true, white people ignored their consciousness and created centuries of racial problems in order to feel better, that's worse to me than intentional dickery. Its not that people didn't know it was wrong, it's that they didn't care and insitutionalized their not caring. That's harder for me to get over

A form of white slavery existed in the South up til Civil Rights era and that was sharecroppers which both blacks and poor whites did. There was also prison labor including the notorious chain gangs which had blacks and whites on or they worked on prison plantations. Plus you also have migrant workers throughout America who are not paid a living wage and are because most of them are illegal immigrants exploited. And there are the Melungeons scattered throughout the eastern part of America. They're a triracial mix of black,white and native american so the plantation owners might use that as an excuse for slavery. In other words, after chattel slavery was outlawed, the Southern elite used prison labor and debt bondage as forms of slavery.

There is a significant difference between indentured servitude, debt peonage, and prison labor on the one hand and chattel slavery on the other. No matter how bad the conditions, the persons involved in the former system are not considered property and, in theory, start out with the same rights as anyone else but these rights are abridged through some sort of legal process - signing an indenture, accruing a debt, or through a court finding of criminal activity. Furthermore, at least in law and theory, once the obligations of indenture, debt, or "penitence" have been fulfilled the individual has most or all of their rights. The chattel slave has no inherent rights, and the slaves only protections from abuse etc is covered by protective laws if any, in exactly the same position as an animal whose protections against abuse are not inherent, not a right. In fact, OTL, the main protection of slaves in the USA was social pressure against a slave owner seen as abusive.

One can argue about the status of a serf, however however restricted the rights of a serf they had some. The status of a chattel slave is distinct from that of other categories of bound labor, and the distinctive racial theories that developed were there to help reinforce the idea that blacks were different/inherently inferior and therefore forever barred from rights that "property" would never have.

"White" slavery simply cannot be accepted in any form by the western world (especially USA) by the 19th century. Most "white" slaves were historically either convicted criminals sentenced to slavery, and therefore started out with "inherent" rights, or captured soldiers or civilians who similarly had such rights to begin with. Once you say that movement across the "property/person" line is not only possible but fairly fluid, the system begins to break down. This is why, as the 19th century progressed prior to the ACW, you began to see laws against manumission, allowing free blacks to live in a state, allowing blacks to learn to read and so forth. This was about making the line between property and person as hard and fixed as possible.

OTL Poor whites were even lower than black slaves.
For example, after the Irish Potato Famine (1848), poor Irish immigrants counted themselves lucky if they could find work as day-labourers. Day-laborers got the most dangerous work: breaking horses to saddle, draining snake-infested swamps.
In many respects, day-laborers' economic status is worse than (post Civil War) share-cropers.

Another form of slavery was indentured labor. Poor European emigrants often signed indenture contracts with ship-owners who sold those contracts to plantation owners. The laborer was bound to work off his debt. Typical denture contracts took 7 years to pay off debts. Many plantation owners worked laborers to death before 7 years.

Note that before the American Revolutionary War, the majority of white immigrants were indentured servants.

Kind of academic isn't it. You want to enslave some whites? Reclassify them as blacks. The 'one drop' rule was more than sufficient for that kind of thing. And you could always find that one drop if you looked hard enough. Forge an affidavit on someone's ancestry, and there you go. Or, 'discover' black ancestry through bogus science - phrenomology, hair analysis, etc.

With a bit of historical tinkering, you could reclassify whole races. Irish... not really white, they're a celtic race, dating from prior to white immigration, really just a pale form of negro. Italian, Hispanic, Native American, Asian of any sort...

Last edited:
Kind of academic isn't it. You want to enslave some whites? Reclassify them as blacks. The 'one drop' rule was more than sufficient for that kind of thing. And you could always find that one drop if you looked hard enough. Forge an affidavit on someone's ancestry, and there you go. Or, 'discover' black ancestry through bogus science - phrenomology, hair analysis, etc.

With a bit of historical tinkering, you could reclassify whole races. Irish... not really white, they're a celtic race, dating from prior to white immigration, really just a pale form of negro. Italian, Hispanic, Native American, Asian of any sort...

This question could arise even without a CSA.

Fehrenbacher, in The Dred Scott Case, noted that the decision created not only a disability but an "immunity", since if negroes could not sue in Federal Court, then neither could they be sued.

He went on to observe that this would soon lead to complications, as the definition of "negro" varied from State to state. Thus in Ohio you were "white" if less than 50% black, but in Tennessee you had to be less than 25% black. So had the ACW not intervened, DS would have to be followed by some further ruling as to who was or was not a negro. This could have got interesting.

One rather rotten thought. What would one do about persons of illegitimate birth, whose fathers were unknown? Could some State Legislature just arbitrariy define them all as "coloured" unless the contrary could be proved?

Take a look at the history of the Jukes and Kallikaks. Eugenicists at the time did case studies on these families and declared them to be feebleminded degenerates incapable of being nothing but a burden upon society and thus should be and were sterilized. It really wouldn't be much of a stretch for the planter class of a surviving Confederacy to determine that the degenerate,feeble minded ,poor white trash should be remanded into state custody and put to work on the plantations for their own good of course.

OTL Poor whites were even lower than black slaves.
For example, after the Irish Potato Famine (1848), poor Irish immigrants counted themselves lucky if they could find work as day-labourers. Day-laborers got the most dangerous work: breaking horses to saddle, draining snake-infested swamps.
In many respects, day-laborers' economic status is worse than (post Civil War) share-cropers.

Except, you know, they were considered human beings with rights and liberties and not property. Poor whites were not worse off or even close to as bad off as black slaves.

Except, you know, they were considered human beings with rights and liberties and not property. Poor whites were not worse off or even close to as bad off as black slaves.

This.

I can't believe it was almost two pages before somebody actually said it.

Show me an indentured servant who got treated like this:

chattel.jpg

In the early days of the Net I had a question about when slavery became restricted to non-whites, so I innocently entered the term "white slavery" into search.
:eek:

William H Harrison, Govenor of the Indiana Territory & first Gov of the State was of Virginian origin and a son of the Plantation owning class. As I understand he attempted to write a clause into the first state constitution legalizing 'Lifetime Indentured Servitude'. This seems to have been a workaround of the NW Territory Ordnance that outlawed slavery in the NWT, and in any states formed from it. Implied in this would be 'whites' subject to this indentured service.

Back story is Harrison & few other fellow southerners organizing the Indiana territory had a vision of a vast plantation on the eastern prairie. An agrarian state of vast estates with a few small towns for the necessary professionals & independant tradesmen. That vision was swept away by a vast mob of illiterate & barefoot settlers with naked children, who clearly understood the homestead acts, and their voting rights. Worse many of them were Irish, or some other ethinc group who did not even speak English :eek: