I am currently researching for an SI story where the protagonist wakes up in the body of one of the leaders of White Lotus Rebellion, likely Wang Cong'er, probably around the year 1796. What would she need to know/do in order for the rebellion to succeed? Bonus points if she can become Empress and rule in her own name. OTL she is killed in 1797

Once she has power the road ahead towards industrialization and even some democratic development seems clear enough, though still challenging enough to be interesting. Its getting there that's difficult.

Being the leader of a peasant rebellion seems to be one of the cases where uptime knowledge would be less useful. There is no access to an industrial base to 'invent' new technology. There are no governmental changes that can be implemented. Are there even military tactics that might be helpful?

Alternatively, how could the White Lotus rebels win OTL?

Last edited:
I suppose I'll give it try.

The more general question of "how do you win a rebellion?" is going to be particular to the time and place of course. But in general superior organization, logistics, and tactics are helpful. At the time the Qing were rather calcified, so perhaps the White Lotus could bid their time, and cement control over some inland region. Then, establish efficient supply routes and a formalized command structure. Eventually the Manchu banners (armies) will need to be faced and defeated. Im not sure what sort of tactics would work here. Finally, the capital needs to be taken. In the immediate aftermath the old guard will need to be removed from power and probably exiled.

Any ideas for details?

Kaze

Banned
I would go with the Eight Trigrams being able to taking the Emperor captive... Then enter Xinhai Revolution early.

I would go with the Eight Trigrams being able to taking the Emperor captive... Then enter Xinhai Revolution early.
That's worth looking into. Would the goal be to capture the Emperor? Would it be better to exile him too? If so, where would make the most sense?

eight trigrams is a bit too late for the white lotus, and in any case it wasn't actually all that large of a rebellion. capture of the emperor won't mean much as long as the qing have an alternative
the guerilla tactics of the white lotus rebels won't really be enough. they'll need to organise themselves properly and defeat the green standard & tuanlian out in the open, capture actual territory meaningfully
the core of their uprising is also very far away from beijing, so you'll need to find a way to spread the revolt to where they're more than just a regional issue

While I've read of this particular rebellion through Wikipedia, I will try to address a possible way for it to succeed by firstly providing some details of the era:
-It's late 18th/early 19th century, Napoleonic wars happen right in this very period of time;
-Gunpowder is a thing in China, but the development of serious warfare guns is not a thing in Qing China;
-It's Qing China, corruption and stagnation have created a weakened empire;
-The rebellion is well-established between the mountains of northwest china, easy to defend until against fellow locals (Tuan militias);
With those points exposed here is how stuff could work: Qing China in that period is hardly equipped to deal with Mao-style guerrilla warfare, use this early opportunity to dent the Banners before there is some serious effort to put down the rebellion. By introducing popular reforms, the risk of getting locals to join the Qing forces will be reduced drastically. If you wish to proclaim a genuine empire (a second Ming dynasty?) I suggest promising a constitutional monarchy, introducing to the people texts of liberals from British India that passionately declare the freedom of people and an end to the old absolutistic system. Now I bet you are like 'but I want to rule, not be a figurehead' and this very situation is solved with few simple words: Constitutional monarchy with Asian characteristics.
While a parliament and a PM will be elected by the people, the power of veto and the creation of Royal cabinets will be few of the several powers the ruler would have.
Using once more contacts with British India, maybe smuggle some cannons. Cannons make things easier, especially in the mountainous territories the rebellion own early on.
Lastly, the most powerful tool yet to be introduced to the world: Propaganda.
Spreading fake news and preaching for the answer to the oppressed's problems, you would get support from a large group of dissatisfied peasants and low-class intellectuals.
After that it would be to study the battles and make sure every single one of those are won.
P.S. I find the idea interesting, but I might have ranted off in some bits as it's quite late and my brain is sleepy.