Votes: 25 30.1%
  • The Land of Trees and Bees

Votes: 28 33.7%
  • Into the Setting Sun

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • Se ti saber, ti responder

Votes: 31 37.3%

• Total voters
I’ve been posting on this site for a while now and have been lurking for even longer but I haven’t yet written a TL yet so I think it’s time for me to get cracking on the research. Which of the following seem the most interesting to you?

King Strange’s Men
POD: Ferdinando Stanley, an important patron of Shakespeare, plays his cards better during the Hesketh Affair and lives long enough to succeed Elizabeth I.
Focus: Elizabethan politics, all of the blood-drenched lunacy that makes Now Blooms the Tudor Rose so entertaining and the intellectual ferment of the Northern Renaissance getting a boost from having an enthusiast on the English throne (but for how long?). Lots and lots of love for the Bard of course.

The Land of Trees and Bees
POD: African pygmies figure out the basics of beekeeping very early on and develop low-level horticulture by the time the *Bantu show up.
Focus: lots of focus on agriculture and its effects in the spirit of the Lands of Red and Gold. Rain forest isn’t generally a good place for farming, but a lot can be done with it using the pre-Columbian Amazon for inspiration, especially with fish management and the domestication of rats and (if I can find a way to make it plausible) parrots. A lot of emphasis will be placed on the development of pygmy culture as they move away from hunting and gathering and interact with the *Bantu.

Into the Setting Sun
POD: while trying to get the Catholic Relief Act of 1829 passed, the Duke of Wellington challenges the Earl of Winchilsea to a duel and instead of deliberately missing (as IOTL), Wellington shoots and kills the earl, perhaps because his arm gets jarred at just the wrong moment and vast flocks of butterflies blanket the world.
Focus: Victorian politics are fascinating, but a lot of the focus here would be on economics, with the development of industrialization, economic theory and economic ideologies being followed closely. I have a lot of neat little ideas such as the Bubble of All Flesh, but it’ll take a lot of research to tie it all together into a coherent narrative. It would also include a lot of Lovecraft references and shout-outs (with Richard Whately, who won’t become Archbishop of Ireland, and the American Pickman family playing important roles as well as the Lovecraft family itself).

Se ti saber, ti responder
POD: Musa ibn Musa, a Basque Muslim, beats the Asturians at the Battle of Albelda in 859.
Focus: developing the politics and culture of a more cosmopolitan al-Andalus with Basque and other Muslims of European descent playing a more important role in its politics and culture. There’ll be buckets of blood with shifting alliances cutting across family, ethnicity and religion but a lot of focus will be placed on the development of a very different set of Spanish cultures. Muslim Span itself won’t be wanked per se, but it will have a bigger cultural impact on the rest of Europe with TTL’s Iberian equivalent of the Sabir language spreading even more widely.

Thoughts?

I couldn't resist 'Lord Strange's Men'. ('The Land of Bees and Trees' does sound a lot to tackle for your first timeline; but I hope you won't junk it altogether.)

I voted for option #3, though #4 could probably be very interesting too. I wonder where the one with Victorian Britain would go: could you give some hints? OTL was a Britwank up until WW II, or WW I depending on your view point, so a bit more competition would be nice. A surviving Al-Andalus could be cool too, especially when it concerns Islam and the New World.

I too voted for "King Strange's Men," for any Shakespearean-era TLs always catch my interest. Depending on how early the POD comes, Ferdinando's mysterious demise could be easily butterflied away, and he might be just palatable enough for Elizabeth's courtiers to follow her father's will and risk a war with Scotland. For one, this probably means no "Macbeth"--the play was commissioned because Banquo was believed to be James' ancestor, a sop that would not be necessary with a different monarch. And King Ferdinando--how awesome a name is that!

With that said, I'd also like to see "Into the Setting Sun" at some point. How exactly would the Earl of Winchilsea's death change so much about Victorian Britain?

Voted for the bees, love to see early development of culture and the domestication of bees and rats sounds interesting. Domestication of parrots sounds cool, maybe plausible. I mean, Europeans domesticated owls, oh that's Harry Potter, they were hawks, same thing really :rolleyes: , so why not? And bees in Africa, whodathunkit? :p

I voted in the poll proper for Se ti saber, ti responder - but either that or King Strange's Men have excellent potential for much the same reasons.Lots of messed up politics and even more messed up people. And colorful culture. What's not to love?

I love King Ferdinando I and the descendants of Mary Tudor ruling England so THE KINGS STRANGE MEN!!!!!

As far as go with what I know well, that's probably the Spanish Civil War but I don't think I have much original to say about that besides that people I disagree with politically are bad and people I agree with politically are bad.

Class now longer reply later...

With that said, I'd also like to see "Into the Setting Sun" at some point. How exactly would the Earl of Winchilsea's death change so much about Victorian Britain?

Well it weakens the Duke of Wellington just when he's trying to push through Catholic emancipation which destabilizes Britain right before 1830.

I researched Into the Setting Sun and had ideas for a much earlier Marginal Revolution because of Whately staying on as an academic, a very strange *Potato Famine, the Bourbons hanging on a bit longer, Harrison living and homesteading becoming a big issue in American politics with views of slavery developing differently, and all kinds of stuff that I`m excited about it's just that I'm not sure if I can pull off a timeline of that scope.

For Sabir it's not so much about al-Andalus surviving as about everyone aside from the Arab-Berber aristocracy and Christian feudal lords having a bigger role.

OK, as Sabir is winning, I'm leaning towards that one.

I've mucked around a bit and am crying because I can't seem to find a way to get this: http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Regio...r_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378353197&sr=1-11 for less than a hundred dollars. Anyone at a university have access to it? I'd be eternally grateful for a PDF. Hell, I'd pay $50 for it but the asking prices I've found are a bit scary...

But otherwise there's a wealth of information I can get my hands on for reasonable prices, so I think I should be fine. I can read Spanish, but mine is pretty rusty (haven't used it in the ten years I've been in Korea), but I can use that to plug in any gaps in the English sources I find...

Since I'll be starting in the mid-9th century any recommendations for a big fat door stopper of a book covering Western Europe and/or the Muslim world from about 800-1000 to get me started on butterfly tracking? Reading whole books on every country that the butterflies flap over to would drive me crazy and I'm going to try to keep with a Spanish (especially Catalan and Basque) focus. Italy, France, Vikings (gotta work them in somewhere...) and West Africa would be especially useful...

I like the Spain one.

The Roman Catholic Relief Act of 1829is a lie. It's the Constitutio Antoniania of Britain, without a doubt.

Since I'll be starting in the mid-9th century any recommendations for a big fat door stopper of a book covering Western Europe and/or the Muslim world from about 800-1000 to get me started on butterfly tracking? Reading whole books on every country that the butterflies flap over to would drive me crazy and I'm going to try to keep with a Spanish (especially Catalan and Basque) focus. Italy, France, Vikings (gotta work them in somewhere...) and West Africa would be especially useful...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cambridge-Medieval-History-Vol/dp/052136292X

This isn't exactly what you asked for era-wise, but this is probably a good place to look along with Part III.

Price tag is obviously an issue, but covering this much history is going to be no cheaper buying multiple books (even if you stayed sane).

Here's hoping, to borrow a phrase from a book on Byzantine history, Clio fortifies the jaw and strengthens the digestion - this is quite a lot to chew on that you're biting off.