Votes: 12 13.6%
  • The Great Game: A Poland and Dutch wank TL

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Salians Victorious: A Henry V TL

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Zweikaiserjahr: A Frederick III TL

Votes: 17 19.3%

• Total voters
Which timeline would you guys be most interested in seeing?

The Cross in the Sky: A Maxentius Victory TL
In this timeline, Maxentius defeats Constantine at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge and kills him. Roman history, especially in the east, is forever changed.

The Flame of the West: A Majorian TL
In this timeline, Majorian's fleet isn't burned, and he reconquers North Africa from the Vandals. He puts the Western Roman Empire on the path to recovery, alongside the Eastern Roman Empire and his successors.

The Great Game: A Poland and Dutch wank TL
In this timeline, the Dutch Republic replaces the British Empire, and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth replaces the Russian Empire.

Salians Victorious: A Henry V TL
In this timeline, things generally go better for Henry V of the Holy Roman Empire. Interesting things happen, especially in England...

Zweikaiserjahr: A Frederick III TL
In this timeline, the assasination attempt on Wilhelm I in 1878 succeeds, giving Frederick III ten years to reign.

Which one do you guys want to see?

Salians Victorious: A Henry V TL
In this timeline, things generally go better for Henry V of the Holy Roman Empire. Interesting things happen, especially in England...
Voted for this one, in OTL Henry V came close to winning the investiture struggle against the Pope so it is not impossible for him to prevail ultimately. This avoids the fragmentation of the Holy Roman Empire. Had Henry V won, then not only the secular authority of the monarch was solidified, but the monarch's religious powers were also strengthened. Henry I of England probably wouldn't agree to the Concordat of London as the Pope would be powerless to stop him.

As for the crusades which were underway, could a diminished pope still declare a crusade? Alternatively, as the monarch also possessed strong religious authority, the future crusades could be called by the kings instead.

Last edited:
Voted for this one, in OTL Henry V came close to winning the investiture struggle against the Pope so it is not impossible for him to prevail ultimately. This avoids the fragmentation of the Holy Roman Empire. Had Henry V won, then not only the secular authority of the monarch was solidified, but the monarch's religious powers were also strengthened. Henry I of England probably wouldn't agree to the Concordat of London as the Pope would be powerless to stop him.

As for the crusades which were underway, could a diminished pope still declare a crusade? Alternatively, as the monarch also possessed strong religious authority, the future crusades could be called by the kings instead.
Seconding this. It sounds the best. Wasn't Henry V the one with Matilda of Tuscany?

Seconding this. It sounds the best. Wasn't Henry V the one with Matilda of Tuscany?

Matilda of Tuscany was the cousin of her father : the famous Henry IV and " humiliation " of Canossa, however I love this scenario because here we can really see the development of the two swords theory ( the empire and the papacy ) of Christianity postulated by Dante, seen that Otl Henry V had obtained a condordate in Worms in 1122 with Rome on the Investiture Controversy, moreover we are in the right period to increase control in the north of Italy by the imperial side since Rome will use them against the aggressive Norman expansion in the peninsula ( we also avoid Lothair III who greatly weakened the imperial power in Italy and Germany ), maybe we see a proper second crusade with respect to Otl

perhaps he and Matilde ( of England I mean here ) decide to send a son to England to his maternal grandfather to become his heir while the others ( if there are any ) are the heirs of the empire ( perhaps with the creation of an Italian branch of the dynasty )

Last edited:
Wasn't he a contemporary of this Matilda?

Technically - as in they lived somewhere within the other's lifetime (she was nearly 40 years his senior, though) - but the only thing he had to do with her was giving her the title of Vicar of Italy and inheriting her lands after her death, so not many people would associate her with Henry V. She was more proeminent during Henry IV's reign.

Last edited:
Technically - as in they lived somewhere within the other's lifetime (she was nearly 40 years his senior, though) - but the only thing he had to do with her was giving her the title of Vicar of Italy and inheriting her lands after her death, so not many people would associate her with Henry V. She was more proeminent during Henry IV's reign.
Drat. I got my Henrys mixed up.

And if Henry V lives longer, that butterflies Matilda'ssecond marriage to the Duke of Anjou. So no Plantagenet kings of England.

And more centralized for england, the normans may start to see themselves as english earlier with less territory in france!
And keeping England away from Aquantine and Anjou will make things less bloody with France.

certainly it is good for England but a Capetian dynasty with less problems than Otl, since it will not have serious opponents ( just as were the Plantagenets ) who can concretely oppose their attempts at centralization, will be a possible threat to Europe long before Otl, except perhaps that Salian HRE can keep up a very strong opposition ( because if this were the case, the empire will obviously be the hegemon of Europe or at least the first power recognized by all )

however a Norman England would still have been focused on what is happening in France because the diplomatic / economic and political ties are obviously very strong ( the Normandy it's not going anywhere, they'll do anything to keep it in their possession ) and in Paris they will always be focused on keeping an eye on them, given their proximity to the city

it would be very nice if Adrian IV ( the only English pope Otl ) here doesn't die suffocated by his own food ( a soup to be precise ) naturally if he becomes a Pope in primis

Last edited:
Very true, but i hope they retain it out of principle and come to see england as their main base, their home and finally speak english.