Which TL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm currently considering on what to do for my Before 1900 TL either being a redux of The Eternal Empire with added help from anyone who's interested or a Napoleonic TL where 1) Nappy and Josephine have a son, 2) Haiti is crushed, and 3) the French navy doesn't suffer the attrition that it faced OTL along with the chaos of the revolution, at least making it a more viable thorn in the Royal Navy's side and an effective force against them at Egypt and Trafalgar.

However, that means that I am now in the process of planning out a post 1900 TL, one that will be up to you guys to decide with all three choices being the ones I have thought long and hard on for some time now. Now, you can say which one you chose and why you chose that one in particular because I'd love to hear the reasoning behind each vote so that I can gather the interest behind them properly.

The Eagle Mourns : In 1924, Huey Pierce Long Jr. made his first run for Governor of Louisiana after serving as a railroad commissioner. He was barely kept out of the final round of the Democratic Primary by 3.1 % against the Manager of Louisiana State Penitentiary Henry L. Fuqua, who would ultimately become Governor of Louisiana. Here, ittl, Long becomes Governor of Louisiana in 1924 and wins the 1926 Senate Election, though doing what he did in 1930, serving as both Senator and Governor of Louisiana until his term as Governor ends in 1928. He does many of the same reforms and shady dealings that he did iotl and then becomes a populist favorite among Democratic voters and the public in the midst of a worse Great Depression. Following the deaths of Al Smith, FDR, and John Nance Garner, the Democratic establishment are left with nobody northerners and well established Southerners. In order to get the backing of enough convention delegates, Long makes a deal to support his Running Mate Speaker Henry T. Rainer of Illinois, who accepts, though he does plan to put several powerful Southerners like Murray in his cabinet before anyone else. Upon becoming President, Long attempts to implement much of his Share Our Wealth Program, which sees it facing mass resistance from much of Congress, leading to Long signing more and more executive orders. Following the suspicious death of Rainey and news of a major corruption scandal from the State, Treasury, and Agriculture Departments breaking out, Congress begins to plan out an impeachment trial and inquiry against the President with the agreement of a bi-partisan administration to lead the country until the 1936 Election should Long be removed. In Response, Long reaches out to officers such as Smedley Butler to rally up some kind of force that will back him up in the case of a successful impeachment under the guise that Wall Street is trying to take over. Meanwhile, Congress approaches Generals Pershing, MacArthur, and Bullard to ensure that Long is removed from power. In October, the Impeachment goes through and Long is convicted and impeached, leading to members of Congress calling for his immediate removal from the White House. Long refuses and gets his private militia trained by Butler and the veterans that follow him to reinforce Washington D. C. and the White House while Long gives several public radio addresses decrying the Impeachment and attempt to remove him as a Wall Street plot to remove the people's president from power. From October 15th-December 19th, the first, but not the last, battle of Washington D. C. is waged as the armed forces under the command of the triumvirate with funding by several of America's wealthiest businessmen and political backing by much of Congress. By the end of the battle, Long flees to New Orleans which the military had left unguarded and soon, Long took control of the city, declared it America's Emergency capital, and in a radio address called on the people of the United States to take up arms against the men of wall street, of the elite, of the upper crust of society, to create a better and freer America than before. While not all Americans rise up, enough rise up that it becomes apparent : The Second American Civil War has begun and nothing will be the same from it.

We Didn't Start The Fire : In 1984, Richard Warner Carlson, TV News Anchor, Paleoconservative, and father of future Fox News Anchor and Independent Media Personality Tucker Carlson, ran for the mayorality of San Diego, losing by 15.7 % to Mayor Hedgecock, who became Mayor after Mayor Wilson became the United States Senator in 1982. In 1988, even with Iran-Contra, George H. W. Bush defeated Michael Dukakis for President and Joe Biden, who had ran for President earlier that year, suffered a brain annueryism that could've killed him if he was the nominee in the campaigning season that year. So, the question is : What if Wilson ran for United States Senator in 1980? What if Carlson ran to replace him that year and succeeded? What if Joe Biden's Annueryism happened in 1986 and not 1988? What if Bush was indicted for Iran-Contra? What if Biden, not Dukakis, was the Democratic Nominee in 1988 and what if Dole, not Bush, was the Republican Nominee that year? What would become of the late 80s, 1990s, and beyond in that scenario? To say dystopia would be putting it lightly,especially following the nukings of five american cities by Al Qaeda on October 17th, 2001...

Into the New Millennium : Gore Presidency TLs are almost always the same. Gore wins the 2000 Presidential Election, 9/11 happens or it doesn't, Afghanistan happens but Iraq doesn't, Gore loses 2004 to McCain or Giulani or some moderate or northern liberal Republican, 2008 Crash happens right on cue, Democrat President, everything hunky dory. This is not those TLs. Gore dies on 9/11 when visiting workers of the World Trade Centers, being on one of the struck floors when it was hit. From this moment on, President Lieberman is more hawkish with a Cabinet being appointed in 2003 that reflects that and his re-election in 2004 over the unpopular with the base George Pataki leads to more resentment, especially when Lieberman gets us involved with Iraq and, even more terrifying, Iran. This leads to the populist Right gaining an early foothold in the party and growing from there. How that turns out, very few know.

I forgot to say it in my initial post because I was undecided but I've decided that once I am finished with the winner here, I will write the Timeline for the runner-up, meaning the two most popular choices for a TL will get written no matter what.

Garrison

Donor
Well numbers 1 and 2 seem to tread familiar ground. We Didn't Start the Fire in particular reminds me of 'Fear and Loathing'. Huey Long winning the Presidency and that leading to Civil War is a bit of a trope. Number 3 is original, but you are going to get into the realms of current politics, even if the specific characters are different, pretty quickly. Overall I think I would ask why you are so determined to write a dystopian TL? Reality is pretty damn dystopian at the moment so I would say the greater challenge is creating a scenario where things come out better than OTL.