Which of these former European colonies had the best chance of maintaining colonial or settler rule up to the present day?

Which of these former European colonies had the best chance of maintaining colonial or settler rule?

• Angola (Portuguese)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mozambique (Portuguese)

• Morocco (Spanish)

• Morocco (French)

• Ethiopia (Italian)

• Total voters
It can either be direct colonial rule (i.e. France in Algeria), or home rule by settlers and their descendants (I.e. Rhodesia, South Africa).

I've included every former colony I can think of that had a substantial settler population.

Maybe a partition of South Africa would be plausible, with the more white and Coloured Cape region in the west being split off from the mostly black eastern part of the country (which could become multiple ethnic states similar to Lesotho/Swaziland).

Coastal Algeria probably should be possible.

If CPs win WW1 there is good chances that Germany can keep Namibia and perhaps even integrate that.

With better luck Portugal might be able to keep its colonial empire.

Spanish post-1900 colonial empire might survive to this day with better luck.

If there wouldn't be WW2 or Italy would join to Allies or remain neutral it can keep Libya and Eritrea but probably still lost Somalia and Ethiopia.

Maybe a partition of South Africa would be plausible, with the more white and Coloured Cape region in the west being split off from the mostly black eastern part of the country (which could become multiple ethnic states similar to Lesotho/Swaziland).

I have asked a similar question to someone who had lived in South Africa for decades. The possibility was low due to economic interest. Most whites were/are spread thinly across the country.

Country had to develop its economy differently. For example, most jobs or economic opportunities were concentrated in certain part of South Africa.

After world war one, million of European migrants were looking for new homes and fresh start. South Africa would have welcomed them with open arms if leadership had different prospective. These immigrants would replace the local black labour whom South Africa was heavily relied on.

Last edited:
Italian Libya, like Algeria it was recognized as a part of the metropole. Italians represented 13% of the population and growing. Throw in a Fascist government that's willing to depopulate entire villages in the name of expedience, and that fact that the native population was tiny to begin with, and I think it could well remain under Italy's boot (in a metaphorical sense, geographically it will never not be under the boot) until the present.

It can either be direct colonial rule (i.e. France in Algeria), or home rule by settlers and their descendants (I.e. Rhodesia, South Africa).

I've included every former colony I can think of that had a substantial settler population.
The ones with a high settler population and a low population of natives.