Which campaign had a better chance of winning: McCain/Palin 2008 or Romney/Ryan 2012?

More realistic chance of winning?

• McCain 2008

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Romney 2012

Votes: 75 89.3%
  • He-Man/She-Ra 2004

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bugs/Daffy 2016

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TFSmith121

Banned
You know, there's a joke about Gus Hall and Harold Stassen in here

You know, there's a joke about Gus Hall and Harold Stassen in here somewhere...;)

After eight years of the younger Bush, Sept. 11, the recession, and two land wars in Asia, the reanimated Abraham Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt would have been about the only GOP ticket I see as being in the running...

Best,

You know, there's a joke about Gus Hall and Harold Stassen in here somewhere...;)

After eight years of the younger Bush, Sept. 11, the recession, and two land wars in Asia, the reanimated Abraham Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt would have been about the only GOP ticket I see as being in the running...

Best,

And now I want to see a TL where and ASB brings Abe and TR back from the dead and has them run as independents in the 2008 election.

The polls in 2008 were comparatively tight up until the Financial Crisis, which completely discredited both McCain and the established order. Bush, of course, was completely discredited anyway, but this really was the icing on the cake.

Take away the Financial Crisis, and mitigate the disasters of the Bush years, and McCain has a reasonable shot. Having Sarah Palin comatose would be a prerequisite too.

The thing with Romney is that the one thing that would have given him victory: the Financial Crisis erupting under Obama, rather than Bush, would (depending on other factors) have already led to a McCain victory in 2008. So a Romney victory requires both a 2009-10 collapse, while having Obama elected on the basis that Palin was crazy or that Bush was too toxic.

If Romney had not been taped saying that a large percentage of those receiving benefits were not going to vote for him it would have been a far tighter race, not a certainty but much closer . another point would have been full disclosure on the political disaster that was Benghazi would have also slanted things in his favour . between the two it would have been very very close . Mcain has never been someone I would have wanted anything to do with , Palin that's a different story I actually think she would make a great President or vice President .

The only way McCain has a shot in hell is if Lehman Bros. collapsing is pushed three months later, and even then it's doubtful. Romney just needed an acting coach, a good campaign strategy and a VP that could deliver the goods (Portman, Kasich).

Palin's post-election behavior showed her to be toxic but it's hard to say how revealed that would have been without the banking crisis taking up air time.

Last edited:

Best,

Too bad Reagan is the one they want to zombiefy.

Neither. McCain was running as Dubya 2.0 in the face of the financial collapse from hell (which was always going to happen after Bear Stearns blew up earlier in 2008) and deliberately shackled himself to the train wreck that is Caribou Barbie. As for Mittens the Romney Unit, he was the best out of a clown car full of joke candidates, and that isn't saying a lot. Insulting half the country, totally botching a trip to the UK, picking a talentless and heartless douchebag as a VP and then believing his campaign staff's "unskewed" poll numbers all meant that he was always going to crash and burn.
The fact that the Romney Unit is being encouraged to stand again by the GOP is a testament to their total inability to be realistic. :eek:

Funny, John Huntsman seemed the only decent one of them to me, of course I'm no American.
It's pretty funny how both liberals and conservatives in the US, as well as people overseas, thought Huntsman was a moderate Republican, when his stated policy beliefs were actually very conservative.

The tragedy is that McCain would probably have been a better and more interesting US president IMHO than Mitt Romney.

However, the latter had a better shot at the White House due to the Messianic glory of Barack Obama having faded somewhat (and justifiably so) and the desaster of the Chen....errr....Bush II presidency 4 years removed.

I am not sure if McCain was a good candidate. Romney was mediocre, but considering the Circus the Primaries had been, the best guy available.

One last thought: Sarah Palin with two years of serious preparation in advance could have been the Wunderwaffe she was hoped to be.

if McCain had've chosen someone like pawlenty as running mate, he could have just edged it, just

I doubt it. The financial crisis was going full tilt by that point. McCain's dash to Washington to do... well, nothing... shot his campaign in the foot before the debates happened, and he lost the debates anyway. Caribou Barbie just added more icing to the cake.

It's pretty funny how both liberals and conservatives in the US, as well as people overseas, thought Huntsman was a moderate Republican, when his stated policy beliefs were actually very conservative.

It's a very sad statement actually. It shows how far right the GOP has veered.

Status
Not open for further replies.