What would've a duel between George W. Bush and Saddam Hussein in 2002 look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the idea from this: https://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/10/03/iraq.bush.duel/

Let's say Bush actually accepted this duel and took place in late 2002.

1. Who would've won?

2. What would've been the international reaction?

3. Would this affect the way foreign affairs are handled?
As in having the two men walk ten steps, turn, and fire like in the 1700-1800s?

Overlooking the fact that nobody would ever allow such a thing in this day and age it also doesn't really do anything. Best case Bush kills him and we replace him with a pro-US leader.

But even if he were to die we can't use that for war. It was a duel. Being killed is kind of the point to that kind of thing.

This should be in ASB. Not way that two heads of state would go with dsuel in 21st century. Perhaps possible before Napolkeonic wars but hardly nowadays.

But let's see:

1. Depends about weapons. If it is with pistols, probably Hussein when he probably is better shooter. If it is fist fight, Bush might be on better situation when I would assume him being physically in better condition. With swords it is hard to say altough Hussein might be bit better sword handler.
2. Probably "WTF?".
3. Hard to say.

As in having the two men walk ten steps, turn, and fire like in the 1700-1800s?

Overlooking the fact that nobody would ever allow such a thing in this day and age it also doesn't really do anything. Best case Bush kills him and we replace him with a pro-US leader.

But even if he were to die we can't use that for war. It was a duel. Being killed is kind of the point to that kind of thing.
Boxing match maybe?

Probably I'm showing my age, but does this anybody remind of this?:

Edit, clarification: musicvideo of 1984 about the US and USSR president deciding the cold war with a boxing match

Bush loses and dies of wounds. Saddam laughs and uses it in propaganda. New President Cheney invades Iraq anyway citing both their WMDs and mind-control technology that allowed them to control Bush's mind to make such a stupid decision.

Bush: I'll nominate a stand-in, the future Governor of California...

Arnie_T2_minigun_6161.jpg

Bush loses and dies of wounds. Saddam laughs and uses it in propaganda. New President Cheney invades Iraq anyway citing both their WMDs and mind-control technology that allowed them to control Bush's mind to make such a stupid decision.

I am not sure if they would use actual bullets. They hardly want to kill head of state. And if this is fist fight, then Saddam Hussen has not any chnces. Bush is much better shape and condition.

U sure they would go invade Iraq?

Got the idea from this: https://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/10/03/iraq.bush.duel/

Let's say Bush actually accepted this duel and took place in late 2002.

1. Who would've won?

2. What would've been the international reaction?

3. Would this affect the way foreign affairs are handled?
1. Bush would accept the duel and then he choses the weapons as he is the one challenged. Pistols at dawn just like in the old west. UN set up a range in Iraq. DOD then sell the TV-rights to the higest bidder. CNN for some reason win and broadcast around the world as a PPV. It beome one of the most watched events of 2002, more people watch it than the World Cup final. Bush steps in as the old time lawman. Bush is 9 years younger than Saddam. He is the favorite among the bookies. Then bush give a signal and a sniper takes out Saddam. "He tried to kill my father".

2. Bush is labeld a hero for everyone that hate Saddam. He is called a coward for ambushing Saddam by anyone that hates Bush.

3. No.

1. Bush would accept the duel and then he choses the weapons as he is the one challenged. Pistols at dawn just like in the old west. UN set up a range in Iraq. DOD then sell the TV-rights to the higest bidder. CNN for some reason win and broadcast around the world as a PPV. It beome one of the most watched events of 2002, more people watch it than the World Cup final. Bush steps in as the old time lawman. Bush is 9 years younger than Saddam. He is the favorite among the bookies. Then bush give a signal and a sniper takes out Saddam. "He tried to kill my father".

Bush probably won't choice pistols or any other firearms when he probably would assume (possibly correctly) that Hussein is better shooter. So he probably picks fistfight.

2. Bush is labeld a hero for everyone that hate Saddam. He is called a coward for ambushing Saddam by anyone that hates Bush.

Assuming that he wins. OTherwise Bush is seen as idiot when he accepted the challenge and picked such weapons where SH is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.