What would the world be like without video technology?

If television never existed or any other technology like it, many people believe the world would be a better place or that we would be smarter because we would spend more time reading. But what would the consequences be if video technology never existed?

mowque

Banned
Why did we never discover it? It is a pretty natural progression of technology and very, very useful.

If television/movies/cameras didn't exist, we would still ahve an advanced world, but no computers and stuff. We would be living in the 1950s-60s minus computers, movies, and much better radio programming.

If television/movies/cameras didn't exist, we would still ahve an advanced world, but no computers and stuff. We would be living in the 1950s-60s minus computers, movies, and much better radio programming.

Why would you not have computers? The first machines I worked on did not have any kind of video equipment. We used Teletypewriter type consoles and only had character line input. And before that we had punch cards. There was actually a graphics subculture that made pictures with chracacters on paper. Everything from simple stick figures to fairly graphic pinups.

Why would you not have computers? The first machines I worked on did not have any kind of video equipment. We used Teletypewriter type consoles and only had character line input. And before that we had punch cards. There was actually a graphics subculture that made pictures with chracacters on paper. Everything from simple stick figures to fairly graphic pinups.

Let me elaborate. We wouldn't have PCs, but we would have huge calculation machines. Military technology would obviously be hampered without pictures and video too. How would radar even work?

NothingNow

Banned
How would radar even work?

With walls of nixie tubes, or actual CRTs, given that you know, the Oscilloscope would probably still be invented.

Just like everything else. (Seriously though, 64x64 character nixie tube displays could become a weird standard here, given their utility.)