What would the Soviets have done to West Germany if they'd gotten control of it?

Apologies if this has already been addressed, I searched but didn't find anything.

My question is this: If the Soviets had somehow gained control of West Germany without provoking the Apocalypse, what might they have done with it?

Would they have attached it to the GDR, or maintained it as a separate satellite state?

Would they possibly allowed it to remain an "independent", "democratic as long as you do what we tell you", "Finlandized" state?

Or something else?

James G

Gone Fishin'
Apologies if this has already been addressed, I searched but didn't find anything.

My question is this: If the Soviets had somehow gained control of West Germany without provoking the Apocalypse, what might they have done with it?

Would they have attached it to the GDR, or maintained it as a separate satellite state?

Would they possibly allowed it to remain an "independent", "democratic as long as you do what we tell you", "Finlandized" state?

Or something else?

Break it up would be the best thing for them. Occupy it too, so as to 'keep the peace'.

Break it up would be the best thing for them. Occupy it too, so as to 'keep the peace'.

I agree, they'd definitely have divided Germany to keep it weakened. Though, I think we're overlooking something with this scenario - if they did occupy and divide all of Germany, who's to say that they'd only split it two ways? I mean, the only reason it was split two ways was because of the Allies-Soviet divide. If the Soviets really did want to split up the whole thing, they'd probably really break it down as much as they could. I can easily see a People's Republic of Prussia, a Democratic Republic of Saxony, a Bavarian Worker's Republic, and so on.

James G

Gone Fishin'
That's what I meant by break it up. Peoples republics, yes, and special zones too. Divide and rule.

Deleted member 97083

Ah, okay. Guess I misread you.

Hmm, do you think Berlin would be a special zone? You know, symbolically separate the heart and brain of Germany from the rest of the body.
Probably not, that would give it too much of an independent identity. Just make it part of Brandenburg which isn't part of Prussia.

No way there'd be any kind of Prussian identity. If anything all of the other ones would be encouraged and rivalries stoked. They'd look at the Holy Roman Empire's fragmentation and say bravo, a masterpiece.

No way there'd be any kind of Prussian identity. If anything all of the other ones would be encouraged and rivalries stoked. They'd look at the Holy Roman Empire's fragmentation and say bravo, a masterpiece.

That makes sense. Prussia, after all, were the ones who drove the unification of Germany in the first place. Carving them up even further than the rest of the country might be a good way to try and eliminate that drive.