what would it take to wake up an isolationist US in the 1960s?

long story short, i've hit a road block in a timeline i'm working on, post WW2 the US goes back in to isolationism, but i'm sitting around 1960 in my timeline and short of full scale war what could theoretically wake the US up and bring it in to the the Cold War currently being waged between the the British Commonwealth-Japanese Empire and the Soviet Union.

POD is two pronged, Japan is more cautious in China, and finds oil in Manchuria thus reducing the friction points between the US and Japan. Japan does not attack Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th 1941, US waits on the sidelines of WW2 acting as the arsenal of freedom, without providing troops. the British and their Commonwealth are the main body of the allies, with the US supplying them. ANZAC and Indian troops serve alongside Brits and Canadians liberating Europe... post war years are similar, minus east asian conflicts such as korea, etc. however, its now 1960 and i'm struggling to find a reason to bring the US out of the mindset of "see, we sat on the sidelines and they did fine for themselves." perhaps communist revolutions succeed in latin america to a greater degree than just in cuba, thus making the US sit up and take notice.

can anyone give me a heads up on mexican politics of the 1950s a 60s, is it at all plausible to bring about some kind of marxist revolution in mexico, even a failed one with US intervention since its right on the doorstep that would wake the US up and get it involved in the Cold War, not necessarily aligned with the stronger ATL British Commonwealth-Japanese Empire?

any sorry if this is the wrong section, i posted once before in the help section once before and got 2 replies.

Thande

Donor
Just one question before I say anything: with the British alone contributing to the reconquest of Western Europe, does this (a) mean the Soviets have more of Germany, and (b) was the invasion made somewhere other than Normandy? Most British generals disliked the idea of the direct Normandy invasion, hence plans to invade via Italy (which bogged down), Greece (which the Americans wouldn't agree to), Norway (which never materialised) and southern France (which did take place but only as an aside to D-day).

ah good point i'm glad to give any background info thats needed...

deGaulle and the Free French wanted a cross channel invasion, and the US concurred and tried to hold hostage lend-lease materials to prompt the Commonwealth to follow this course of action (which in turn makes the Brits and company realize after the war they cannot be dependent on anyone), nevertheless Italy is the main front, with a supplemental front being launched near Calais in spring of 1945 the war ends in Sept of 1945 when british and soviet forces meet in Linz, Austria along the Danube....

my picture hosting site is down right now or i'd show a map i just haphazzardly drew up, basically, soviet union keeps its OTL occupation zone in austria, and gets germany to a line along the danube and weser, allies get rest of austria and OTL's current solvenia and croatia. despite physically being cut off from the allies, denmark does remain non-communist.

Thande

Donor
Right. I'd only disagree with the last sentence: in OTL the Soviets occupied an outlying part of Denmark but the US forced them to withdraw. In TTL I think they'd keep at least part of Denmark.

Sounds interesting overall.

Straha

Banned
my draka ATL has the USA staying isolationist for a FAR longer time than OTL. It only slowly moves out of isolationism after the second crimean war in the 80's goes nuclear.

83424523.jpg

red is the soviet union and its sphere of influence, gray is non-communist, not any alliance or united group.

I think that greater Communist influence in the Western Hemisphere, especially in Latin America, would certainly shake the USA out of isolation.

It would be interesting to see this TL. I think it would be a lot easier for the British-Japenese Alliance to get America on their side than the USSR. Not that it would be easier....I think the US would still be slightly concerned about its interests in the Pacific and Asia.