What Was Napoleon's Most Impressive Victory?

What Was Napoleon's Most Impressive Victory?

• Castiglione

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arcole

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Rivoli

• The Pyramids

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Mount Tabor

• Aboukir

• Marengo

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Ulm

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Austerlitz

Votes: 75 65.2%
  • Jena-Auerstedt

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Friedland

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Eckmuhl

• Wagram

• Borodino

• Lutzen

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Bautzen

• Dresden

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Six Days Campaign

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Ligny

• Other

• Total voters

Anaxagoras

Banned
What was Napoleon's most impressive victory?

1. Castiglione
2. Arcole
3. Rivoli
4. The Pyramids
5. Mount Tabor
6. Aboukir
7. Marengo
8. Ulm
9. Austerlitz
10. Jena-Auerstedt
11. Friedland
12. Eckmuhl
13. Wagram
14. Borodino
15. Lutzen
16. Bautnez
17. Dresden
18. Six Days Campaign
19. Ligny
20. Other

I dunno, predictable, but has to be Austerlitz, or maybe Friedland. Friedland was a decidedly uphill fight against an opponent that refused to be broken just shortly before then.

Borodino was the most questionable battle in the list, he was in a better starting position than most of his other miracles and failed to achieve anything decisive.

Maybe the Six Days (just for a change), for his skillful maneuvers stalled at least for sometime the allied advance. Even though in the end it didn't matter much, it was one of the last demonstrations of Napoleon's genius when achieving victory.

I put Austerlitz because is Austerlitz, how can you not. However, I've always been impressed by the Battle of the Pyramids, and sure, its not the best enemy, but 23 deaths for at least 3000 has always impressed me.

Austerlitz.

Jena-Auerstedt always has this tinge of being more Davout's than Napoleon's victory, but Austerlitz was under Napoleons full control (even if, again, his corps commanders were excellent too).

Judging a battle on its own merits, it's Austerlitz. But taking into account wider context and stuff, you have to give him props for what he achieved in rather more desperate circumstances later on in the defence of France.

I always thought Ulm was pretty impressive. A campaign begun and won, an entire army knocked out, with very minimal cost, in two weeks.

Dorozhand

Banned
The Six Days was an incredible and ingenious effort for a hopeless cause, but Austerlitz was an unsullied triumph in every way. It has a rightful place as the Cannae of its day.

The biggest victory of them all - winning the peace. The Napoleonic Wars ended with France not torn to pieces, looted and occupied by foregn powers.

Austerlitz. Napoleon's 1805 Campaign remains in my head as one of those campaigns which almost went beyond brilliance. He defeated Mack's army in a masterful encirclement (though this was helped somewhat by the poor communication between the Austrian and Russian armies), and while still outnumbered, drove into Austria itself, finally tearing the allied armies to pieces at the end of his supply lines. Hannibal would have been proud.

Austerlitz. It's Napoleon's best know victory for a reason: it was a strategic marvel that is still being studied today in military classes. Plus, it is also heavily rooted in the Napoleonic legend (Sun of Austerlitz, Battle of the Three Emperors and all that) and it's arguably the battle that made Napoleon the most powerful man in Europe.

Second choice would be the Six Day Campaign. It's basically Napoleon fighting an ennemy that had superiror numbers with an army composed of fresh recruits called "Marie Louise". And he actually managed to score several victories. However, the ultimate defeats kinda ruins everything.
Amelikite said:
Auerstedt beating the Prussians no less, with just a single corps!
While Iena-Auerstedt is an impressive victory (the annihilation of the Prussian army in a matter of hours), I think the credit belongs more to Davout than Napoleon. It's Davout that was in charge at Auerstedt and it's him that led his own corps against the main Prussian army and won. Napoleon was leading the troops at Iena and while he won a crushing victory, he didn't fight the main body of the Prussian army.

Hell, Napoleon was kind of an asshole with Davout after the battle. He refused to give him credit right after the victory. Davout had to wait a few years before Napoleon agreed to acknowledge his skills by granting him the title of Duke of Auerstedt.