What version of Stinky Pig 2.0 Would you like to see?

Which Timeline Would You Like to See?

• Equus Rex

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • American Stinky Pig and other domesticates

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello everyone,

between dodging problems in real life, I've been working on the 2.0 version of my American Domesticates thread. However, I've recently considered deleting re-writing the entire timeline. I'm basically stuck between two ideas of how to execute my ideas of creating a more advanced pre-Columbian American society.

Since y'all are my audience, I thought that rather than vacillate between two options I'd ask you what you want to see and have it done with. So, what version of an American domesticates timeline would you like to see?

Equus Rex-A relic population of horses survive in Mesoamerica, giving the Americas horses thousands of years before Columbus.

Stinky Pig and other small stock-More of a revisit of my first timeline, where peccaries are domesticable-and their changed behavior causing butterflies that tweak other American flora and fauna to lead them to be domesticated.

Hello everyone,

between dodging problems in real life, I've been working on the 2.0 version of my American Domesticates thread. However, I've recently considered deleting re-writing the entire timeline. I'm basically stuck between two ideas of how to execute my ideas of creating a more advanced pre-Columbian American society.

Since y'all are my audience, I thought that rather than vacillate between two options I'd ask you what you want to see and have it done with. So, what version of an American domesticates timeline would you like to see?

Equus Rex-A relic population of horses survive in Mesoamerica, giving the Americas horses thousands of years before Columbus.

Stinky Pig and other small stock-More of a revisit of my first timeline, where peccaries are domesticable-and their changed behavior causing butterflies that tweak other American flora and fauna to lead them to be domesticated.
I prefer the one that had at roughly the same cultures as OTL, like Mesoamericans and Moche. So the pig one I suppose since it involves the least butterflies.

I'm sorry to say, but I must vote for American Stinky Pig, mostly because I have unfinished art for your TL.

I vote both, myself. Luck or no luck, it would be considered the norm ITTL and that's what counts. I would love to see the ramifications of a combined TL.

I'll read either way, though. Keep up the great work!

Whichever you feel most comfortable writing about. Barring that, both. Barring that...hmm. Peccary is more relatable to us because the cultures are similar but if the horse one was well-done it could be epic.

Whichever you feel most comfortable writing about. Barring that, both. Barring that...hmm. Peccary is more relatable to us because the cultures are similar but if the horse one was well-done it could be epic.

I have to second this in every way. But I still want both.

:D

A note on relatable cultures: While they will always be altered due to those infamous butterflies, I always will use cultures that are at least very similar to the Native American cultures of our timeline.
Partly this is because Native American cultures were rich and interesting, and a good source of inspiration. Mostly it's because I'm lazy and re-writing existing cultures is easier than making them up from scratch :p

A note on relatable cultures: While they will always be altered due to those infamous butterflies, I always will use cultures that are at least very similar to the Native American cultures of our timeline.
Partly this is because Native American cultures were rich and interesting, and a good source of inspiration. Mostly it's because I'm lazy and re-writing existing cultures is easier than making them up from scratch :p
It's less lazy than making them up from scratch. At least usually it is. Most people here who make up cultures from scratch don't do much about it. Typically they just make up a bunch of what they think are vaguely Native-American names that don't have much of a pattern and that's as far as the culture goes. Just strange, 'exotic' names for this bland nation/tribe (I hate it when people call city-dwelling groups a tribe) that doesn't have much of an identiy besides living in America and having horses or whatever.

Hummingbird-There's an art to creating names for new peoples. In my last timeline, I used the names of Native American bands from OTL to name tribes that ITTL had migrated in a different way. I think creating names that "sound" Native is alright, as long as you pay attention to the language group you want them to be an in-timeline equivalent of. For example, a P'urepecha equivalent who call themselves the Pulepecha would be weird, as the P'urepecha did not have the letter 'l' in OTL.

As an interesting note, I recently read "Empire of the Summer Moon", a biography of the Comanche warrior Quannah, and I learned that Comanche names for individuals were cleaned up by the Europeans recording history. Names such as "Amorous Man" and "Buffalo Hump" were actually purposeful mistranslations of names we would consider quite lewd. Which does make you wonder, if the natives are recording history on their own terms, what names might end up becoming famous...