What TL ideas do you have that will probably never see the light of day?

A mafia/organized crime figure in charge of a robust and large criminal enterprise decides to throw his hat in the ring of politics.

(This person is from an Anglophone country and you'll see why I specified later).

He uses his influence to get elected as MP first. With some cunning politicking(and using his mob) he quickly ascends in stature in Parliament; avoiding law enforcement and assassination attempts from rival criminals. Eventually, he sees the opportunity and strikes while the iron is hot, getting selected by parliament as Prime Minister(though on an interim basis).

However, he and his underlings get to work . They perform what amounts to silent self-coup. The snap elections he calls are rigged in his favour with MPs who swear loyalty to him behind close doors getting a majority in Parliament.
The country then descends into a sort of tin-pot quasi dictatorship(similar to how Mugabe ruled).

His criminal enterprise ipso facto dissolves as it merges with state institutions under his watch. Instead of schemes, he just loots the treasury.

Eventually, under international pressure due to his human rights records, he gives up power years later. But not before getting a blanket pardon for him and all his cronies from the ceremonial president for all prior crimes.

The new democratic government investigates his prior government and reveals not only human rights abuses, but that he was the head of a criminal organization.
But his pardon means there is nothing that can be done.

As for his legacy, he is known by a simple moniker as result of the revelations about his past: the Crime Minister.

I suppose it depends on what form the National Party gvt lived on as. After 1970 or so it had no real ideological content to its political program anymore. Both the crude Baaskap model of the 1950s (a permanent ethnically tiered society) and the notion of separate development and Boer self reliance (big in the 30s and then later brought back by Verwoerd) were basically gone by the 80s.

The Nats had devolved significant powers in public order and the economic maintenance of the country to new Coloured and Black elites after the massive unrest wave in '85 that saw the army deployed to townships. They had no money and sanctions prevented them from getting it, and capital controls failed to prevent flight. If there was a situation in which the gvt limped on in the 2000s, especially after the terrible decisions made by the reserve bank on Asian futures investments, it would have to be either a coup regime caused by the SADF generals or some kind of massive split in the electorate that led to political secession of the old Boerestaats.

Neither of these happened in OTL because the opposition to the NP came from the KP which had a significant English wing to it and had no interest in Afrikaner irredentism, and this never unified with the more Afrikaner tinged HNP movement of Verwoerdian diehards. As for the coup prospect, the SADF wasn't particularly political at the time, far less so than the state security services, which pretty much ran the show for the last 20 yrs or so. We do know some generals were mad that they knew De Klerk was lying to the electorate in 1992 to get the Yes vote - it was brazen and baldfaced and everyone with a behind the scenes look at things knew it. But it never went further than that.

I could see Bush expressing interest in assembling a coalition if, say, Eugene Terre'Blanche seized power in Transvaal and had access to nuclear material, or if the negotiations broke down and a civil war started.
My scenario for how this occurs is that the KP wins a plurality in the 1989 election after Botha stays to the bitter end and drags De Klerk down with him as a result of their public beef
For the sake of argument, Treurnicht probably won't lead the party to victory. Mayber Hartzenberg or some else.

As such the KP leader becomes State President. The new government tries to reinstate Vorster era policies but fails. The relationship between the three houses of parliament breaks down with the two non-white ones refusing to pass any bill with the current governmemt in place, meanwhile the DA and rump NP are in talks to oust the KP. Fearing his removal, the State President takes drastic action.
While the military is not explicitly partisan, it was no secret that it attracted many pro-aaprtheid people. More important though is that the security services had amassed a lot of power domestically in the prior years(State Security Council) with little oversight. So the State President plots a coup against the government which he leads

In 1990, the coup happens and the constitution is suspended. A few years later, civil strife is still getting worse. So in 1992, the government reveals it has nukes and other WMDs. It also announces that it would use those weapons domestically if need be. Obviously this sparks a global crisis, but the South African government enters into UN denuclearization talks soon thereafter.

It has only one condition: that the ANC, due to its influence, issues "calm down" orders to blacks, asking them tone down the violence, in order to prevent a civil war. Initially, the ANC readily accepts these terms.
However, South Africa drags out this WMD removal for a long time. It finishes this proceedure in 2003. However by this time, it has become apparent that South Africa is stalling. The revelations of its nukes a bluff to give Apartheid more time in the short term.

The groundwork for war is laid in 2001; instead of the Niger Uranium forgeries, you have the South African urnaium forgeries. In late 2003, out of options, the South African government resumes raids in the frontline states dismantle ANC outposts. During one of these raids, the South African army engages in a skirmish with the US army(there because of a defence pact against South Africa). A few more skirmishes happen between the two(instigated by South Africa) before Bush puts his foot down.

Bush consults with his foreign peers and cabinet before giving a speech: South Africa is given an ultimatum to begin a genuine transition from Apartheid in 4 months or face a coalition regime change. South Africa refuses, so the coalition goes in early 2004. South Africa, ever teetering on the brink, implodes. The coalition makes swift and massive gains reminiscent of the Iraq invasion nearly a year earlier. And thus, Apartheid meets its end.

Last edited:
Two TLs I had that will likely never make is Kapp in the Ass, a world with an more successful Kapp Putsch that leads to a broader German civil war.

The other was Drenched In Blood, where Kornilov executes the Petrograd Soviet and goes on to lead a successful White movement that kills the USSR in the cradle and takes power in most of Russia.

I might make these somewhere down the line but I doubt it.

I think you make a good case regarding Roosevelt, election results, and for American entry and a following Entente victory, albeit one that is much more controversial and leaves everyone worse off than IOTL. It would certainly be easier to research!

Another potential outcome I've discovered is the possibility that the aftershocks of the Panic of the 1914 makes the war utterly unaffordable and forces a peace deal circa 1916. Apparently the British Admiralty had a plan ready to initiate a "controlled demolition" of the world economy by using Britain's plurality control of global finance to force a total shutdown of the investment market and international trade. It was expected that Britain could weather the storm best and thus force an end to the war on favourable terms. The British Department of Trade made it clear that this was a Very Bad Idea; beyond the economic catastrophe that would follow, it would ruin Britain's reputation with the neutral nations (especially the United States) at a time when it needed the neutrals to at least be friendly to help keep the war financed. Proponents argued that the much lower commitment to a ground war in Europe would save lives and money and enable a quick recovery. President Wilson's liaison to Britain also made it would be utterly unacceptable, and the British government decided to blockade Germany as a compromise. If the American economy is already in ruins because of British interference, there might be an argument of "in for a penny, in for a pound" and the Admiralty gets its way. The plan is detailed in Planning Armageddon: British Economic Warfare and the First World War by Nicholas Lambert.

As for those final questions, I'm afraid I don't have especially satisfying answers at the moment.
  1. I went with Lenroot because he was a favourite at the 1920 RNC but mostly for the novelty if it being someone other than Coolidge. It very well could have been someone else entirely. The more progressive/isolationist wing would likely have to be appeased without picking one of their staunchest members like Hiram Johnson or George Norris. Maybe Albert Cummins?
  2. I don't know enough about Hughes to say, but given his OTL behaviour as Chief Justice it appears that under pressure he tends to break progressive rather than conservative.
  3. Hearst had rather mercurial and shifting beliefs so its hard to say 'which Hearst' would be president. Given his authoritarian streak I suspect that he would be frustrated by the democratic process and wouldn't be very effective. Broadly progressive but given his eccentricities he'd probably focus on Culture War issues if you'll forgive the anachronism.
  4. I don't expect that Hearst could keep together a functional administration for six years. While not ideologically similar, in practice I think Heart's policies would shape out like Al Smith's: progressive for the time but nothing as far as the New Deal. I would guess that Hearst's faction would be thrown overboard by the party bosses in favour of an unproblematic centrist Democrat in 1926. Ironically, it may end up being Herbert Hoover. He decided to become a Republican IOTL in 1920 because it looked like the Republicans were going to win and he was chasing the chance of a presidential draft. If the reverse is true, then Hoover might become part of the Hearst Cabinet without being part of his faction.
  5. I think 1926 would be favourable to a conservative Republican nominee, although the Progressive Republicans would probably still have enough clout to stop an archconservative like Frank Lowden from winning. Someone like James Wadsworth or Lester Dickinson.
Oh one more question actually -- do you reckon Hughes implements something analogous to a federal reserve system or even a national bank after he wins in 1916 due to the disaster of the Panic of 1914?

I have had, for many years, a personal idea/project (that I have mentioned several times in the past) based on the Transportation Act of 1920-specifically the consolidation of American railroads into a smaller number of larger systems. I have long since established what I want them to look like but have only in the last several years thought of any possible timeline on how to bring it about. If anything, I would be more interested in the butterflies afterwards...but not interested enough to think-let alone write-much of anything about it.

Oh one more question actually -- do you reckon Hughes implements something analogous to a federal reserve system or even a national bank after he wins in 1916 due to the disaster of the Panic of 1914?
The frustrating thing about Hughes is that because he was on the bench for so long there's very little public record about what he believed about things. Skimming the newspapers of the day, it doesn't seem like Hughes made any recorded public statements either way on the federal reserve. However, a lot of Republican higher-ups were opposed to the creation of a federal reserve. IOTL, in the Senate, nearly every Republican voted against the Federal Reserve Act. Likewise, while there weren't any reported statements by Theodore Roosevelt on the federal reserve, many of his advisors came out against it. It was the expectation of at least two newspapers that if Hughes was elected with a Republican Congress that the Act would've been repealed. It seems like pro-reserve Republicans were in the minority, even if some need for banking reform was generally recognized in the party.

The Republican proposal following OTL's Panic of 1907 was the Aldrich Plan. It called for fifteen regional National Reserve Associations which would have the power to print currency and act as a lender of last resort to banks at risk of insolvency. The NRAs would be managed by a national board to coordinate policy. However, the board would be composed entirely of bankers deputized as government agents, and the board would mostly self-select its members with very little government input. A banking system regulated by bankers didn't sit well with Speaker Champ Clark and the House Democrats, and they used their newly won majority to shoot it down in 1910.

In the absence of a federal reserve and with a Republican Congress, I think the Aldrich Plan likely would've been resurrected in the late 1910s. Even if Hughes privately thinks it doesn't go far enough I don't think he would be bold enough to try and pass a bill any stronger than that. Of course, when the post-war economic downturn inevitably hits and the NRAs can't really do much about it, Hughes will absolutely be raked over the coals for it. Without our multidimensional foresight, most people would assume that stronger banking regulation could've prevented it.

By the 1920s IOTL, William Randolph Hearst stopped attacking big banks in his papers because he had become reliant on their financing. ITTL, having left the business world for politics in 1913 I can see Hearst maintaining his hostility and attempting to create a central banking system if he's elected president in 1920.

The frustrating thing about Hughes is that because he was on the bench for so long there's very little public record about what he believed about things. Skimming the newspapers of the day, it doesn't seem like Hughes made any recorded public statements either way on the federal reserve. However, a lot of Republican higher-ups were opposed to the creation of a federal reserve. IOTL, in the Senate, nearly every Republican voted against the Federal Reserve Act. Likewise, while there weren't any reported statements by Theodore Roosevelt on the federal reserve, many of his advisors came out against it. It was the expectation of at least two newspapers that if Hughes was elected with a Republican Congress that the Act would've been repealed. It seems like pro-reserve Republicans were in the minority, even if some need for banking reform was generally recognized in the party.

The Republican proposal following OTL's Panic of 1907 was the Aldrich Plan. It called for fifteen regional National Reserve Associations which would have the power to print currency and act as a lender of last resort to banks at risk of insolvency. The NRAs would be managed by a national board to coordinate policy. However, the board would be composed entirely of bankers deputized as government agents, and the board would mostly self-select its members with very little government input. A banking system regulated by bankers didn't sit well with Speaker Champ Clark and the House Democrats, and they used their newly won majority to shoot it down in 1910.

In the absence of a federal reserve and with a Republican Congress, I think the Aldrich Plan likely would've been resurrected in the late 1910s. Even if Hughes privately thinks it doesn't go far enough I don't think he would be bold enough to try and pass a bill any stronger than that. Of course, when the post-war economic downturn inevitably hits and the NRAs can't really do much about it, Hughes will absolutely be raked over the coals for it. Without our multidimensional foresight, most people would assume that stronger banking regulation could've prevented it.

By the 1920s IOTL, William Randolph Hearst stopped attacking big banks in his papers because he had become reliant on their financing. ITTL, having left the business world for politics in 1913 I can see Hearst maintaining his hostility and attempting to create a central banking system if he's elected president in 1920.

Makes sense. Very well-reasoned and impressively thorough as always! Hope this TL happens some day

Here are some of my ideas of some TLs, all historically American politics related.
  • Another RFK TL: Basically a TL where RFK doesn't get assassinated and wins the nomination and eventual election against Nixon. Basically a preservation and expansion of the Great Society through the 70s. RFK easily wins reelection against Reagan in 1972. Rockefeller is elected after RFK in 1976 serving two terms.
  • A Wave of Left: Based on NCT's 1972D's campaign with Nixon v Connally v Hall. Gus Hall, with his running mate, Jane Fonda would manage to win 5% for the CPUSA, granting it federal funding for future elections. Fonda would manage to win the California governorship in 1974 in which she serves, winning reelection in 1978. Meanwhile a Deadlocked 1976 leads to a Dem President and a GOP VP. and all the chaos that would ensue. The Dem President and GOP VP decline to run in 1980 due to multiple reasons. This sets up both GOP and Dem primaries for 1980 wide open. It would eventually lead up to a matchup between Ronald Reagan, and Jane Fonda. Jane Fonda would prevail at the end, and the 80s would be dominated by Dem leftism.
  • Rumsfeldia Averted: A TL where Hugh Carey is Elected President instead of Rumsfeld in 1980. Carey would be assassinated by John Hinkley, making Carey's VP, Reubin Askew President. Askew would narrowly lose to a Republican in 1984, the Republican would serve two terms before the Dems win with Jesse Jackson in 1992. Jackson serves two terms. The TL would end with the election of John McCain in 2000.
  • Rumsfeld at the Pilot's Seat: Donald Rumsfeld is picked as Reagan's VP. Reagan is killed by John Hinkley, leading to Rumsfeld becoming President. Rumsfeld's Presidency would be considerably different than Reagan and the effects would lead to a wildly different world.
  • A Deadlock in the 1990s: The 1992 Election ends in a deadlock between Bush, Clinton, and Perot. Chaos in the 90s ensues.
  • The Arrests of September: 9/11 is foiled mere hours before the attack with the would be hijackers being arrested for terrorist plots. A no 9/11 would change a lot for the 2000s. Bush is less popular in this TL, but would narrowly win by the skin of his teeth in 2004 against John Edwards.

Some I have noodled with:

1) Roddenberry is not involved with Star Trek past The Motion Picture; when Paramount is making TNG in the 80's they use the Spaceflight Chronology, Franz Joseph's Technical Manuals, and the Lit Verse to build the timeline off instead of junking it all like Roddenberry did (cos he was not getting a big enough cut!) which mean TNG is quite a different show given the source materials take on the New Humans, Klingons, Romulans etc - needs lots of research to figure out how TNG got made.

2) Titanic misses the iceberg, or is only grazed by it. Some shipping reform happens, but its mostly the story of the 1506 lives and their effect on the US/World - no idea where I'd really go with it other than Titanic survives really.

3) Titanic misses the berg entirely and it is the brand new Imperator which goes down on its Maiden Voyage taking Kaiser William II with it - huge butterflies, but needs lots of research.

4) R101 and Hindenburg never happen and the airship continues longer - not sure I could say anything new on this concept.

5) No or shorter WW2 so British Leyland is never formed - good thing? bad thing? Needs lots of research.

6) Worse WW2 so British industry has to be totally rebuilt like Germany and Japan - Needs lots and lots of research.

7) Imperial Preference and Imperial Federalism takes off, with the Empire becoming stronger and united during an alt-WW2 and afterwards - other people have done this, and better than I could, but I still consider the idea.

8) Star Wars never happens in 1977 - Lucas never gets a studio to approve it. Instead he makes Flash Gordon, and Star Trek: Phase II hits the airwaves, then Battlestar Galactica somehow takes Star Wars place. It's such a big project through as removing Star Wars has HUGE pop culture butterflies.

9) Marvel is never brought out by Peralman and stripped mined for resources; no 90's gimmicks, no bankruptcy, no MCU as we know it - started work on it, then got distracted.

10) Irish Home Rule passes on the XX attempt- same needs lots of research problem as the others, but entire Ireland as Dominion might be interesting.

I am proposing an alternate scenario that would cause a Chernobyl-like disaster but doesn't involve nuclear reactors (since, as you note, our designs could not plausibly do that).
I know this is way after this message, but I was reading through these ideas, and maybe it involves an electrical blackout/surge in the middle of the night, that then somehow (I don't know much about nuclear missile systems) triggers the explosion, and that then wipes out the surrounding areas and kills the VP in Little Rock at the time, as you mentioned earlier. The fallout (pun intended) of such a situation could cripple or at least seriously damage the US relation with the public over the safety of nuclear weapons, and would definitely influence the Cold War in a major way, with the Soviet Union claiming a "Victory", or even another peaceful uprising in the eastern block about the safety of these missiles too, similar to US, and especially UK, where this was already a debate. I love this idea, and would support eith you or someone writing bout this.

The immediate blast effects would be limited to Yell and Faulkner counties -- they put the silos some distance away from Little Rock because they'd be guaranteed Soviet targets, while Little Rock might not be. The real disaster will be the fallout plume contaminating a big swath of Arkansas and Oklahoma (including Bentonville, probably no Walmart in this timeline).

John Waters

Banned
In Nelson's Wake: A Post-Napoleonic Timeline
Horatio Nelson survives the Battle of Trafalgar and returns to a hero's welcome, much to the consternation of the British political establishment; they would've preferred him as a martyr given his combativeness and scandals. Prior to his death, Nelson's enemies were planning to have him appointed Governor of Jamaica to get him out of the way. This plan proceeds ITTL. Before leaving for Jamaica, Nelson attends a series of dinner parties in London. In attendance at one of these parties is Isaac Brock, an obscure colonel stationed in Canada who is on leave for the winter of 1805-06. Brock is a personal friend of Thomas Fremantle, who is in turn a friend of Nelson's. While at the party Brock gets along well with Nelson but admits that he isn't pleased with his posting. Riding high from his hero status and with the encouragement of Fremantle, Nelson uses his clout to have Brock redeployed to Europe, to his embarrassment but extreme gratitude.

Time passes and butterflies occur. Brock distinguishes himself in the Peninsular Campaign, but his absence in Canada is sorely felt. Without his proactivity in building defences and his aggressive strategic mind, most of British North America is overwhelmed by the United States early in the War of 1812. With Napoleon defeated in Europe and exiled to Elba, the hardline British Prime Minister Spencer Perceval has the Duke of Wellington and a large part of the army sail to North America to retake the colony. But, of course, Napoleon returns. With much of their strength headed to Canada, the Prusso-British army is defeated by Napoleon at Waterloo, but soon after the Emperor is in turn defeated by the Austro-Russian army that arrives in Burgundy. Occupying much of France, the Austrians attempt to install Napoleon II as emperor with his Austrian mother Marie Louise as regent in the hopes of crafting an absolutist Austro-French alliance that can dominate the new status quo.

In Canada, a full army of British regulars under the command of the Duke of Wellington make short work of the American volunteer army and militias. In one of the final battles of the war, Horatio Nelson takes the initiative and sallies forth from Jamaica. His naval bombardment of New Orleans kills Andrew Jackson and enables a British victory. Contrary to fears of total occupation, the Americans suffer from a relatively mild punitive treaty, ceding the Northwest Territory, New Orleans, and most of Maine. However, the costs of the war and the ensuing economic instability have catastrophic consequences, and the United States is forced to declare bankruptcy. Having enjoyed a mild upswing in support for the past few years, the ensuing chaos sees the Federalists make a comeback, with John Marshall elected president in 1816. While America will still pursue its Manifest Destiny, it will be with a much slower start,

The stage would then be set for a very different post-Napoleonic world.

The Twice-Premature Political Obituary of One Champ Clark, or an Alternate 20th Century
Speaker of the House Champ Clark entered the 1912 Democratic National Convention fully under the expectation that he would be the party's nominee. And, with the Republican Party split between Theodore Roosevelt's progressives and William Howard Taft's conservatives, it was obvious that winning the nomination would be tantamount to winning the presidency. However, the path to the nomination turned out to be much rockier than anticipated. Having allied with the corrupt Tammany Hall political machine early in the convention, more reform-minded Democrats turned against him. An Anyone But Clark coalition quickly formed between Woodrow Wilson, Oscar Underwood, and William Jennings Bryan. In the end, Woodrow Wilson became the leading contender of the ABCs and clinched the nomination, but the mood of the convention had been very fluid and it had by no means been guaranteed. With better timing, Clark could've pulled it off. So what if he had?

In our world, once Clark heard about the ABC coalition he decided to break precedent and attend the convention in person. Once he got there he found that the convention had already adjourned for the day; a Wilson floor manager had accidently submitted a motion to adjourn too soon. By the next day Clark's momentum had stalled and his delegates began to abandon him. But what if the floor manager had received proper orders from Wilson's campaign manager? Clark dramatically enters the convention in person. Demanding to be recognized by the convention chair (controlled by his friends from Tammany Hall), Clark boldly defends his progressive record to the delegates, swinging the mood yet again with a sensational display of populist oratory. With such an appearance, Clark's momentum becomes unstoppable, sealing his victory for the nomination and the general election.

Despite both being progressives, Wilson and Clark had very different instincts. Unlike Wilson, Clark supported a constitutional amendment so that the president would serve one six-year term. Additionally, Clark followed the Jefferson tradition of being very suspicious of high finance and refused to introduce a central bank or federal reserve of any kind. This would turn out to be a grave error. With the beginning of the First World War, Britain and France withdrew all their assets from the United States to fund the war. Without any central authority to stop a run on the market, a massive recession ensues, spoiling any goodwill the American public may have had toward the Entente. Already more inclined toward neutrality than Wilson and having to resolve an economic crisis, Clark kept the United States strictly neutral in the war. Without the United States financially or militarily backing their enemies, Germany eventually won a war of attrition, leaving Western Europe in a stalemate, but carving an empire out of Eastern Europe.

As 1920 approaches, Europe has to reckon with a Germany that has limped into its place in the sun, while Americans prepare for the first six-year term election.
All cool ideas, especially the first one though, I wonder if you could write a short follow-up for that?

[ I'm not sure killing Walmart is worth tens of thousands dead, millions homeless, and a second Great Depression tho #monkey.paw ]
It's okay, you're just not privy to the visions of the Hyperwar between the Walmart hordes and the Amazon legions. Just because I saw that vision immediately after falling over and hitting my head doesn't make it any less accurate.

Another one I had that I mentioned in another thread

A Biblical Ending to World War II

Basically it'd start off as your typical Axis Victory where Germany wins WW2 by defeating the USSR and starts reading itself to implement Generalplan Ost and eliminate the remaining jewish population of Europe

Only for a wrench to be thrown into all of that by the fact that in that world the God of Israel exists

And he's angry

With events described in the Bible such as Exodus being all real and the resulting aftermath being the Third Reich being obliterated by God in a similar fashion to Sodom & Gomorra

Leaving nothing but burnt down buildings, statues of salt made of the innocent and the radioactive ashes left of the guilty, amidst untouched nature and a land where now nothing grows

The souls of the victims being visibly taken to the skies to be judged, with the Children of God entering Heaven while those who took part in the Holocaust are cast down

After which the story would show the impact of the world left behind by them, one where the people come to terms with the loss of everything that was once Germany and under control of the Third Reich as well as the bittersweet realisation that The Lord is indeed real and once again we disappointed him

No Cold War

No War on Terror

The second half of the 20th Century and the 21th Century is devoted not to proxy wars or movements of social liberation

But penance

Penance in the face of divine anihilation

Amid tears of resentment and grief as humanity contemplates what was lost, it's own guilt and shame after looking into a dark mirror and seeing it's own twisted reflection that forced the hand of God once more against the Children of Man

How does one even move forward from that?

That is the question that we would ask ourselves for the years onwards as we do so
And why exactly I do not think I'll write this?

Simply put, I dont feel like I'm anywhere near enough of a good author for this, nor do I think I would be capable of treating this with the adequate level of sensibility that it so would need dealing with themes such as the suffering brought by the nazi regime or the fate of Europe as a whole in this world

That and the possibility some asshole claiming that is what I wish happened in real life despite the clear sorrowful tone of the story

I definitely wish I could write it, but I dont think I can now, and maybe I never will

ATL where the HMS Glorious is not on a special solo trip back, but steams (nearly keyed 'sails') with HMS Ark Royal. Search planes are sent out ahead, once well clear of Narvik, which like OTL is empty of Allied shipping. Time passes, but suddenly there's a sighting report of enemy large warships, from one of the recce Swordfish.
On board the carriers feverish activity takes place to arm aircraft and get them ready, while the ships alter course to avoid any possible ship-to-ship contact. Coastal Command is also alerted, their patrol aircraft alter course to monitor the enemy ships. While Wellingtons make ready their torpedoes, with their crews hoping for action in the dark!
With twenty Swordfish making it aloft, they set off to the expected position of the enemy.
While aboard the Twins the sound of the recce aircraft had caused concern, nothing was spotted. Some time later though, look outs spotted the distinctive shapes of the Swordfish low on the horizon, cries though of aircraft were coming from all directions as the attackers split up, and all so quickly torpedoes were dropped, amid increasing flak.
Anxious eyes watched the tracks, jubilation aboard the aircraft as hits were observed. Not as many as they would have liked,, but two on one, and one on the other was enough for the Twins to alter course back to Germany.
But only one of them managed to crawl all the way back, after the RAF Coastal Command Wellingtons arrived to attack in the twilight, with Hudsons dropping flares on one side, while on the other the Wimpeys released their pairs of torpedoes - with spouts erupting as hits were made, sadly not all Wimpeys made it back, efforts were made to rescue the downed crew, not all were successful. But those who were were able to recount the sinking of the Scharnhorst - with her sister struggling to stay afloat.
RN Destroyers who later arrived at the scene were able to pick up some German survivors.
But back in Berlin, Hitler was not happy !!

Last edited:
Where it was said that Israel TLs are banned? On this site generally is not prohibited TLs and you can basically make whatever you want as long as these are somehow plausible at minimum, not promoting/defending war crimes and crimes against humanity and not current politics outside of Chat.
I know this is late but after October 7th most Israel TLs have been locked.