What Should I do with Donnacona's Dream

What should I do with Donnacona's Dream

• A: Keep going from where I'm at but reduce the level of detail.

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • B1: Reboot it and employ a butterfly net outside of North America.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B2: Reboot it and keep the butterfly effect, but reduce the level of detail.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • C: Keep the North America updates the same, re-write the Europe updates

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • D: Abandon the project enitrely.

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
So, my TL: Donnacona's Dream has been getting bogged down a little bit lately with perhaps more detail than is necessary outside of the TL's real focus in North America. Due to some comments I have gotten from readers recently, I'm wondering whether it's time to reboot it.

Thanks! In my head I will subtract one vote from D and add it to A.... I figured anyone who DID want me to abandon int entirely was someone who hadn't read it in the first place (that option was really put there to collect the votes from folks who never read it and/or didn't like it so that the other four options would reflect the actual readership).

How about "keep going but also post a simplified timeline so people checking back in after a while can refresh themselves on what has happened up to the current post."

Just started reading TL, up to the point of the exodus at the moment and enjoying immensely. I really like the amount of detail, but please do what it takes to make you feel comfortable with continuing the project.

Thanks! I've definitely not feeling any "pressure" to spend time on areas outside of my focus besides the pressure that's coming from my own excitement and reading history and thinking about 'oooh, wouldn't it be cool if that happened instead'.

I think I need to remember that my goal at this point should be to make it through to 1700, rather than to make interesting things happen everywhere in the world. As much fun as it might be for me to envision what's going on in Poland and Russia, it's much better for me to just leave those ideas in my notes and to keep the updates more focused. THEN, when I get to 1700 I can summarize my notes into a single update and move forward from there.

So, as much as I'm itching to write about the Ottoman Civil War, it won't really affect North America at all, so I'll just make notes on it and then when I get to 1700 you'll see a update summarizing the Ottoman Empire's development from 1600 to 1700 including the Civil War and all that comes after...

Definitely part of the problem is that the TLs that I admire the most are Look to the West and Male Rising, which both cover the entire world by the time they've made it to 75 years after the POD. I think I just need to remember that I'm not (yet) a writer and world-builder of the calibre of Thande or Jonathan Edelstein, and that telling an interesting story about the entire world is biting off more than I can chew right now... Especially because telling a story about the entire world is a LOT more difficult when you have 400 years to cover before the present day than when you have only 100 or 200.