What other countries could have been 'Taiwanised'?

Wondering where else you could have found the strange situation of the majority of a country being taken over by a new government but with the ancien regime still living on in a small exclave. I guess this pretty much has to be an overseas exclave but pretty interested if it is still possible otherwise!

• Estado Novo Portugal relocates to the Açores and Madeira following the 1974 coup (where they still had some popular support and there were even separatist movements in the two islands in response to the 1974 coup), this is what happens in Sorairo's The Footprint of Mussolini timeline.
  • Francoist/Falangist Spain relocates to the Canary Islands if they lose the Spanish Civil War.
  • The Kingdom of Greece relocates to Crete and some more outlying islands following a Communist victory in the Greek Civil War.
  • Fulgencio Batista's Cuba flees to Isla de la Juventud (I don't think this attempt would be successful, given the tiny size of the island)
  • The South Korean government flees to Jeju Island if the North wins the Korean War (again, this island is very small, so this government-in-exile wouldn't last long)
  • The Russian Tsarist government/Russian Whites flee to Alaska following the Bolsheviks' victory in a TL where it was never sold to the US.
  • Whatever government in charge of France relocates to Corsica, this is what happens in the Back to the USSA series, where the Communists/Communards seize "mainland" France, and the anti-Communists flee to Corsica, in direct parallelism to the PRC-ROC situation.

Last edited:
Denmark, theoretically? In a world where the Danish government didn't surrender in WW2 and instead fought, there could be a German Denmark and Denmark proper for a while during WW2. Afterwards, if the Soviets take over it could be a more apt parallel (but that's very unlikely). If the PCI wins the postwar Italian elections, maybe Sardinia and mainland Italy?

For Shah's Iran, I'd pick Qeshem and the Tunb Islands, especially if the Iranian Revolution gets more intense than OTL's or some such.

For Shah's Iran, I'd pick Qeshem and the Tunb Islands, especially if the Iranian Revolution gets more intense than OTL's or some such.
Qeshm and these islands are too close to the Iranian mainland, no way that a Shah government would be able to operate or survive on them.

• Estado Novo Portugal relocates to the Açores and Madeira following the 1974 coup (where they still had some popular support and there were even separatist movements in the two islands in response to the 1974 coup), this is what happens in Sorairo's The Footprint of Mussolini timeline.
  • Francoist/Falangist Spain relocates to the Canary Islands if they lose the Spanish Civil War.
  • The Kingdom of Greece relocates to Crete and some more outlying islands following a Communist victory in the Greek Civil War.
  • Fulgencio Batista's Cuba flees to Isla de la Juventud (I don't think this attempt would be successful, given the tiny size of the island)
  • The South Korean government flees to Jeju Island if the North wins the Korean War (again, this island is very small, so this government-in-exile wouldn't last long)
  • The Russian Tsarist government/Russian Whites flee to Alaska following the Bolsheviks' victory in a TL where it was never sold to the US.
  • Whatever government in charge of France relocates to Corsica, this is what happens in the Back to the USSA series, where the Communists/Communards seize "mainland" France, and the anti-Communists flee to Corsica, in direct parallelism to the PRC-ROC situation.
The Tsarist/non-Bolshevik Alaska was the one that first came to mind for me.

Indonesia circa November 1966. Sukarno had an event in Surabaya which was located in East Java, Sukarno’s home province and where his support was still strong. But plans leaked that Sukarno supporters in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and the Police wanted to keep Sukarno under their protection in Surabaya.

In OTL, Soeharto cancelled Sukarno’s visit and Sukarno complied. But had Sukarno decided to go to East Java in an alternative timeline, he could very easily be in a situation where he could establish a government-in-exile. In OTL, even Sukarno himself thought that his presence in East Java could cause civil war.

Some random possibilities I have stumbled upon:
  • Maybe Japan, with the government fleeing to Hokkaido after losing the mainland to rebels. Or is Hokkaido too close to the mainland for that to work?
  • The British government flees to Canada after losing the home islands to revolution like in Kaisserreich.
  • Ottoman Cyprus. Cyprus somehow does not end up in British hands and after Turkey is taken over by nationalist republicans the sultan sets up shop in Cyprus.
  • Hawaii for the US government after something bad happened.
Francoist/Falangist Spain relocates to the Canary Islands if they lose the Spanish Civil War.
What about also having the Bourbons flee to one of their colonies after the Carlists take over Spain; and later the Carlists flee to another colony after the Republicans take over Spain?
The Russian Tsarist government/Russian Whites flee to Alaska following the Bolsheviks' victory in a TL where it was never sold to the US.
What about the Crimea? I vaguely remember reading a TL here in which a white hold out managed to survive in the Crimea thanks to naval superiority and small land bottlenecks; though I do not know how feasible that is.
Whatever government in charge of France relocates to Corsica, this is what happens in the Back to the USSA series, where the Communists/Communards seize "mainland" France, and the anti-Communists flee to Corsica, in direct parallelism to the PRC-ROC situation.
Hmm, that reminds of a collaborative map on here which included both Napoleonic Guyana (Napoleon I had fled there after losing mainland France) and Bourbon Algeria (the Bourbons had fled there during the revolutions of 1848); there also was the HoI IV mod 'Après moi la deluge' in which the French-Indian Wars had ended in a draw and the Bourbons had fled to French Louisiana.

I wonder whether we could combine all of these in one TL?

Any country with an over seas holding that is more or less part of the country could do this. Alternatively you can have a split that has a defensible board such as a large river or better yet a mountain chain. And a more even split in power is needed to get to a point that everyone just accepts the split.
The easier it is to physically get to the ”enclave” the more even the sides need to be from a power level.
So farther away is better for a small enclave but close count at needs more even sides that fight each other yo exhaustion.
For example if the North and the South faught each other into a stalemate then you could have seen the two stay split. So if you have direct contact you need something like that to happen.
Otherwise you need a country that is historically made up of separate countries that were combined. For instance GB or Germany could split back into its historical sections with one or more parts forming a new government and one or more segments keeping the existing government.

Eeloo

Banned
Communist-controlled mainland India facing a nationalist India entrenched in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and controlled by Subhas Chandra Bose.

Not quite your premise, but Turkey either reduced to the European rump, losing 'Asia Minor' to the neighbours, SE border across isthmus near Izmit, or Turkey losing the European side, back to the NW edge of Istanbul, frontier along the rivers/lakes on isthmus...

Or both, Istanbul becoming a city-state like Singapore ??

FWIW, the Communist coup in Greece failed because they ran into elements of UK 'Eighth Army', the famous 'Desert Rats'.
Yes, the fighting in Athens was 'effin brutal', street by street, house by house, even room to room. My father was there, a Comms tech with a shot-out, musket-smooth rifle, teamed with a cold-eyed marksman from RAF Regiment.
Yell 'GRENATE !!', toss a German training grenade (Re-usable!!) into alley, insurgents scatter. Bang, marksman nails one, diminishes others' enthusiasm.
Bonus points for impassioned Commissars.
That tactic was called, 'Caught and Bowled'.
When defenders ran out of training grenades, a hurled wine-bottle with rag and yell of 'MOLOTOV !!' sufficed...
That, given its usual contents, was called, 'Taking the Pi$$'...

My father said his gun was so wonky, it really wasn't a rifle. Inaccurate beyond pistol range. A shame, as he was actually an excellent shot. He didn't think he hit any-one, unless by lucky ricochet, but he racked many 'Assists'...

Jeju had a communist urprising even before the Korean war officially started, I don't think people would be to receptive.

Japan goes through a communist revolution in the 50s and the US helps the government relocate to the Ryukyu islands.

Eeloo

Banned
Mainland Australia is integrated by Japan into its Co-Prosperity sphere, while Tasmania remains an independent White state.